What am I doing wrong?

Options
I'm getting very frustrated over here. I've been working out steadily, 4-5 times per week, for about 4 weeks. I don't always stay under my calories, however, I've only gone over 1800 a few times in the last 30 days, and most days I'm around 1600. The "experts" say I need 2200 to maintain, as a woman, so I'm way below that 99% of the time. I drink 6-8 or more glasses of water every day. So far I've gained 6 pounds and gained several inches. My clothes do not feel looser and my jiggley bits are still very jiggley.

I feel that this is the exact opposite of what should be happening. Anybody have any ideas on what is going on?

Replies

• KenishaFitness
    KenishaFitness Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    What are you eating and what exercises are you doing?
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight? And who are the "experts" you are referring too?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think sodium is probably a major factor here. If I go that much over my sodium, I weigh more than the next day. Sometimes as much as 8 pounds more. So you could be losing, but the loss is masked by the fluid retention.
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would agree. I looked back over a week of your food diary, and your sodium is very high. I would really try to keep that under 2500, lower your fat and sugar and up your protein. On days when you go over your sodium by 3500, you're going to retain. Try adding a few drops of lemon juice to your water as well :)

Hope it helps!
    Don't get discouraged! Good on you for asking/sharing. You can do this!
  • rock_kowgurl
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 271.8 pounds. The experts are the people who came up with BMI.

What do I eat? Anything and everything. I used to be a chef, but now I'm a stay at home mom. We try and stay away from processed foods, canned food, boxed food, etc. It's not like I'm living on Hamburger Helper and Lean Cuisines or anything - yuck. I do eat a lot of grilled cheese and tomato soup. Since I've started on this weight loss quest, I have no taste for anything but grilled cheese, even though I'm constantly starving.

Any tips for cutting down sodium? I thought that drinking lots of water was supposed to flush out your system and prevent water retention?
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your calories might be too high. If you have a large amount of body fat, the calories given by online calculators are estimated too high. Do you know your body fat%? I would try to get that number then use a Katch Mcardle BMR calculator to estimate your BMR.

Another thing to consider is that your portions may be off in your diary. I recommend weighing everything that you cn for a while and see if that hels you any. Even if you are using measuring cups, those measurements are more subjective that the scale.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I think, and this is just my opinion, that you eat too many processed foods. i agree that the sodium content is high but I think all those foods are also too starchy and not so nutritious.

More fresh vegetables, green leafy vegetables, maybe some brown rice, more fruits, more lean meats, lentils and legumes, fresh fish. Something that's more nutritious and fresh. Make a big omelet with vegetables for breakfast. Cut out the salad dressings and stick to healthy oils and vinegar.

It takes a while to figure this out but once you get the hang of it, you're good to go. Keep with the plan and look at some healthy cooking websites for menu ideas.
  • numacuser
    Options
    There's much to consider~
    How old you are? Family History? Calories consumed vs. calories burned? Time of day you eat? Can you fill in the blanks?
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    Yikes, your sodium is through the roof. You'd have to drink far more than 6-8 glasses of water to balance that out. I would suggest eating less processed foods and more whole foods, fruits and vegetables. I know it's frustrating but stick with it!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I think sodium is probably a major factor here.
    Ditto. I keep my sodium at or below 1000mg a day now. I feel sooo much better! It's a 4-6 lb difference when I go above that.
    And I keep my fat very low. I am still, however, on a high-fat diet, while eating almost no fat, to force my body to burn the fat I already have. I certainly don't need to add any more to it via my mouth. And it's working very well for me. Good luck to you!
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can help you with the sodium. Back in April, my doctor diagnosed me with high blood pressure, and told me to keep my sodium down. First thing I did was to start tracking my sodium intake (easy to do with MFP). Holy cow! I was taking in up to 9000 mg per day. So I quit adding salt to foods, quit eating fast food, and really started reading food labels. Now it is easy to eat between 1500 and 2000 mg of sodium per day. An interesting side effect, IMHO, is that I rarely have migraine headaches anymore. Hope this helps! If I can do it, you can do it. I was a severe salt-o-holic, and now I don't even miss it. Good luck!!!
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water will help cut sodium. Also never add salt to anything, try using different herbs instead. Stay away from anything preserved in brine like olives, pickles and onions, and be catious of any canned foods. Avoid any products that say "lite" "low-fat" "low-calorie" or similar, these often have added sodium or MSG. Switch to a low sodium bread. Learn to read food labels. There average acceptable sodium intake for people aged 9-70 is 1300-1500mg per day, I would aim for half this.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Any tips for cutting down sodium?
    You're already half-way there since you know how to cook well. My solution was to cook everything myself because I discovered that EVERYTHING has sodium in it. Everything. I am still learning how to cook vegetables I'd never eaten before, and I invested in lots of good spices and salt-free seasonings. Still lots to learn there, but spices are key to cooking without sodium.
    Your taste buds will eventually adjust, trust me. As a professional chef, you will come up with lots of clever ways to prepare food without salt that I would love to read about from you!
    BTW, I no longer take blood pressure medication (in fact, I take NO medications now) so I mean it when I say I feel great without all that sodium I was ingesting.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    by doing the math on your macros (assuming theyre all correct)
    you actually ate 1859 calories today

most of us are eating more than we think
    9 calorie per gram of fat
    4 calorie per gram of carbs
    4 calorie per gram of protein
    4 calorie per gram of sugar
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Another thing to consider is that your portions may be off in your diary. I recommend weighing everything that you cn for a while and see if that hels you any. Even if you are using measuring cups, those measurements are more subjective that the scale.

This^. Weigh everything so your diary is accurate. Its very easy to make mistakes with your portions otherwise.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Be really careful with your food measurements. Either that, or maybe you get up in the middle of the night and sleep eat?
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Honestly, after looking over a few days, I agree that sodium is high, but if that were the only issue, your weight would be going down eventually. I am going to say again that your B pMR estimate is probably too high. Just doing an estimate without body fat, BMR comes up over 300 calories higher than if using weight and body fat % of 50. Once you add in your activity factor, you're talking almost 400 calories different. If your body fat is higher than that, then your numbers are ven more off.

Also going to say again that you should definitely weigh everything you can for a while, and make sure you are using the correct entries. I saw you had Kens ranch a few times. How did you measure your two T? I learned by weighing it, it's not quite as much as I thought, even when I measured with a two T measuring cup. Plus, is that lens ranch, or kens buttermilk ranch? I only use the buttermilk ranch, and, unfortunately, it's 180 calories a serving. Just being a bit off on your measurement, and using the wrong entry could add 100 calories to your day for that one item alone.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Honestly, after looking over a few days, I agree that sodium is high, but if that were the only issue, your weight would be going down eventually. I am going to say again that your B pMR estimate is probably too high. Just doing an estimate without body fat, BMR comes up over 300 calories higher than if using weight and body fat % of 50. Once you add in your activity factor, you're talking almost 400 calories different. If your body fat is higher than that, then your numbers are ven more off.

Also going to say again that you should definitely weigh everything you can for a while, and make sure you are using the correct entries. I saw you had Kens ranch a few times. How did you measure your two T? I learned by weighing it, it's not quite as much as I thought, even when I measured with a two T measuring cup. Plus, is that lens ranch, or kens buttermilk ranch? I only use the buttermilk ranch, and, unfortunately, it's 180 calories a serving. Just being a bit off on your measurement, and using the wrong entry could add 100 calories to your day for that one item alone.

yeah i avoid calorie dense foods for that reason lol even though i have a scale
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you have a lot of processed food. (mac and cheese, pizza, taco bell, cheese, bagels, soup, mcdonalds, pickles, olives, etc... )

The first thing would be cut the processed items, up the clean, keep carbs 100 or lower, and up the protein.

If you eat 1,000 mg sodium then eat 2,500 mg potassium.

And to add WEIGHT everything and double check the mfp numbers (always go with the highest value if in doubt.) b/c often people put in the wrong info.