new and no motivation for exercise

Options
Hi, i'm new here and have been enjoying reading through all the posts. I starred using my fitness planner only a week ago and used it religiously logging everything I am eating and i'm so surprised about how many calories food I eat all the time have UN them. Think its really going to help in some weightloss. I currently weigh 138lbs and I am 5ft 1. I guess I don't know my goal but I want look bit better in my clothes. I work at a desk and my job is mentally tiring so when I come home with my 4 year old, live on my own. I have no motivation for exercise and just make tea, do bath, bedtime and housework. Anyone any tips in how I can fit in exercise or if by purely changing my diet and watching cals I can lose weight? Magically maybe. Do you need to have workouts? More hours uh the day would be great. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You can lose simply through calorie reduction, but workouts help. Exercise is also good for you. Could you start by walking a bit every day? Would you be willing to join a gym, or buy some exercise equipment that you would use at home?
  • digchoc
    digchoc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Willing yes:-) but fear I would never use either.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I think you are well on your way. Keep reading and recording and you will do well.
    Some ideas for exercise: videos ( walk one mile video, step aerobics, weight lifting for dummies, p90x the choices are unlimited), get a pedometer and add one thousand steps a day per week to your daily total, try some of the weight lifting programs people do here, train for a five km run, use bands gor strength training, do what I do: squat-a-thon, I think it's 55 squats today:) I am losing weight without a regular fitness program. When I read roadmap to success, learned about my TDEE, and friended lots of successful people here on mfp, I got on the right track:)
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You can loose weight without exercise but it helps to shape your body, improves your mood, and gives you energy.
    I know it can be challenging but you can try walking at lunch or around the mall if it is cold. There are free work outsonline if you prefer on youtube. In all weight lose, baby steps toward a healthier you are more likely to stick.
  • kopilatis10
    Options
    I'll tell you what worked for me.
    Download some audiobooks you enjoy and go for a walk every morning right after you wake up with empty stomach for about an hour. Keep listening to your audiobooks and time will pass really fast.
    Do this for maybe two weeks and you should start seeing results. Then, when you look yourself in the mirror you will understand that the best motivation is the results you are getting :)
    Hope this helps.
  • scoutit
    Options
    I'll tell you what worked for me.
    Download some audiobooks you enjoy and go for a walk every morning right after you wake up with empty stomach for about an hour. Keep listening to your audiobooks and time will pass really fast.
    Do this for maybe two weeks and you should start seeing results. Then, when you look yourself in the mirror you will understand that the best motivation is the results you are getting :)
    Hope this helps.

Great idea! I started out walking and found that I had more and more energy, which then turned into additional types of exercise...now I can't go without. Gyms are nice, but not necessary. Find something you enjoy. Go at lunch if you can't find other times. Good luck!
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    I have been on here since August, and have struggled with motivation to exercise. I have had periods of time when I regularly got the exercise in, and felt good about it, and then life took a turn, and I have not been motivated to get back to exercise. I know it is good for me, and I intend to get back at it, just have to make myself do it. I don't have a desk job, but do work 12 hour shifts, so when I get home, its dinner, shower, relax and bed. I think we need to just commit to doing it, because it is good for us. Easier said then done, walking is a good place to start.
  • digchoc
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The videos are a good idea. I will look into the different types. I do enjoy walking...but...must if the time I am with a small child who walks as slow as humanely possible lol. Lunch hour, don't get one. So I need to stop making excuses and try and find something that fits in with my days.I'll probably have more energy when I start. Oh what is tree?
  • digchoc
    Options
    I mean tdee
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think gaining motivation takes time....I used to hate working out, i just felt like i HAD to...Now i love it! Even if i still have to force myself some days...Its not something that i hate anymore, and the results arnt a need anymore, their just a plus:)

I think if you bought a treadmill or elliptical ( i think treadmills are better) and put it in your house it would be easier for you to work out on... But if you could get used to going to the gym, i think its soooo much better! It has tons of equipment and yeaahh... Also, i suggest lifting heavy weights! Look at some of the girls' heavy lifting results in the success stories...there insipiring!

I am currently doing the program The New Rules of Lifting For Women, and i loooove it! But if you've never lifted before, or never even been to the gym, i think the workouts would be a bit intimidating... Either way... Look it all up! :)

Hope this helps:)
  • forwesgar13
    forwesgar13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The Julian Micheal's dvds are cheap 10 bucks at walmart . They are broken into two parts 30 min each. Maybe start with just doing one for 30 min. Something you can do at home with your child and we can all can find 30 mins if its something you really want. Everybody needs thirty min for you time. Good luck and welcome to the site !
  • randilious
    Options
    Take your child to the park and play with them for an hour!!! Good for you and good for your child!!! :)
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    If you want to look better in clothes, you want to tone your muscles, as well as cardio helping you to loose weight.
    The trick is finding something that you enjoy, then it is not a 'work'out. Playing with your son is a great idea - go walking while he rides his bike? Play soccer/frisbee/whatever in the park?
    I really enjoy aquafitness, as I have a motorbike accident injury that affects my mobility and it is almost dancing. I love dancing and would like to do salsa or flamenco, but my foot won't handle it. I used to do tapdancing, but alas, no more. But I can usually do belly dance - it is great for toning ab.s and it is fun!!
    Good luck and get moving!
    :-)
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I know how you feel. You could start with just walking 10 to 20 minutes a day. Playing with your son at the park is a better workout than you might think.

Is there a gym in your area that has daycare. My gym has a kids club. My kids think it is great fun and I get to workout.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Find some DVDs that are fun and do them WITH your 4 year old. I'm not saying force your child to exercise but my daughters (5 and 2) stand right in front of me and do their modified version of whatever DVD I have in for that evening. They have even started to request their favorites. It's a fun activity for us to do together and it's beneficial for all. I also started running on my treadmill several months ago and my girls know that's Mommy's time. I give them a snack first so they aren't hungry, then find an activity (usually coloring) to entertain them and get a quick 30-40 min jog in on the treadmill. I think one of the best gifts we can give our children is letting them see us being active and set the example. I want my children to see me exercise so they grow up knowing it's a normal part of life. I grew up only seeing my mom exercise when she was trying to lose weight on/off and that's what I associated exercise with. My point: find something that you and your child can both do and make it a bonding event.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I mean tdee

TDEE is "Total Daily Energy Expenditure" and is the number of calories you burn when all of your activity is factored in. In general, eating above your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate, or the amount of energy (calories) needed to sustain your body at complete rest) but below your TDEE will lead you to lose weight. I shoot for caloric intake about 15% below my TDEE, which is tough for me because that's not much higher than my BMR. It's about 1250 calories a day. (MFP put me at 1200, which is also fine, but I bumped it up a bit because I'm moving around more than I used to.)

You can find a number of online calculators for BMR and TDEE - I use the ones at fitnessfrog.com but there are others. Hope this helps!
  • 141by2016
    Options
    Find some DVDs that are fun and do them WITH your 4 year old. I'm not saying force your child to exercise but my daughters (5 and 2) stand right in front of me and do their modified version of whatever DVD I have in for that evening. They have even started to request their favorites. It's a fun activity for us to do together and it's beneficial for all. I also started running on my treadmill several months ago and my girls know that's Mommy's time. I give them a snack first so they aren't hungry, then find an activity (usually coloring) to entertain them and get a quick 30-40 min jog in on the treadmill. I think one of the best gifts we can give our children is letting them see us being active and set the example. I want my children to see me exercise so they grow up knowing it's a normal part of life. I grew up only seeing my mom exercise when she was trying to lose weight on/off and that's what I associated exercise with. My point: find something that you and your child can both do and make it a bonding event.
    I love this! WTG on making exercise a fun part of your kids' lives! You are setting them up for success and preventing them from having to learn health habits when their older.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Don't formally exercise if you don't want, get physically active - buhy a pedometer and make sure you get the minimum 10,000 steps for heath - get away from your desk at lunchtime to achieve this, never take the elevator always the stairs etc. And get active with your child, they should be doing at least an hour of activity each day from frisbee to bowling to playing ball together to a dance challenge on a games console if you have one.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I got into more excercise by taking my child to swimming lessons - and swimming myself too...