BodyMedia subscription

Hi there!

I am thinking about buying a BodyMedia Core but I am wondering about the monthly subscription. I know it is free for the first 3 months but afterwards you have to pay for it. Can you really use the BodyMedia without the website? I read somewhere that it syncs with MFP does anybody have experience with that?
I think it is a bit expensive but it seems to offer more value than the fibit. I just don't want to spend a lot of money if it is not worth it...

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• echamin
    echamin Posts: 41 Member
    Costco is selling the Fit Link with a 12 month subscription. On sale for $119 plus free shipping.

http://www.costco.com/BodyMedia-FIT™-LINK-Armband.product.11680102.html?catalogId=10701&langId=-1&storeId=10301&krypto=J71XftbfAzxvy4IV5aPvV4I4a+ZKiQtg

I just got mine and still trying to figure it out but so far, it's pretty cool. :)
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    It doesn't work without the website and the monthly subscription. For me it's been well worth the investment :-)
  • It doesn't work without the subscription but it's only $7 a month after your free trial period. That's two cups of coffee at Starbucks or one trip to McDonalds, or 1/3 of an entree at Applebees. You get the idea. For me it seems well worth the money!
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    I've had mine for a couple of weeks - I have the Link, which syncs to my phone, and I can check my calories burned and consumed anytime throughout the day.. It does link to MFP . I log my food on MFP, and let the BMF record my activity/exercise and sleep. I I am in the process of trying to nail down my TDEE. I'm finding that my TDEE is actually a bit higher than I thought - about 2300 on non-exercise days, so I've found it to be very useful for me.

No, you cannot access the data from the BMF without a monthly subscription. Everything syncs to their website, where you then access all of your info. I purchased mine from Costco for $119 which includes a 12 month subscription - best deal going. If you buy a 12 month subscription outright, it comes out to just under $7/month - well worth the few bucks, in my opinion. If you don't belong to Costco, maybe you know someone who does, and you can buy it through them. You then have 90 days to see if you like it. If not, return it to Costco for a refund.

The way I look at it, MFP is free - and the cost of the BMF is really very little for the info it does give me. It's taken me months of trial and error (maybe I'm just slow, ha ha) to try and find my TDEE (and I never did nail it), and the BMF has given me that info in 2 weeks. Well worth the money, IMO.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    It is definitely worth the money, but because I can't afford it anyway, I bought a subscription code on Ebay. After my 3 free months were up, I got a 12 month subscription for under $20. If you're a Costco member, I'd go for their deal, but keep in mind you may not have to pay full price when the time comes.
  • Hi ibach08,

We’re glad that you are considering getting a BodyMedia FIT! We pride ourselves on having the most accurate calorie burn on the market and hope the Armband will help you reach all your fitness goals. The subscription for the Activity Manager allows our customers to seamlessly and invisibly install updates to their devices and our apps without the hassle of having to manually download updates all the time. This allows us to give you the most up to date version of our Activity Manager at all times.

You also can, if you wish, purchase a Display device if you have a CORE Armband. This will allow you to get a snapshot of your burn, by will not provide you with a way to track your food, sleep, or nutrition.

Regarding the practice of buying secondhand subscription codes, we know that this happens, but we would caution the buyer to be wary – there’s no way to know if those codes are valid, unlike subscriptions purchased directly through BodyMedia.

Hope this helps!

-- Laurie
  • theojt
    theojt Posts: 11 Member
    I purchased a Link armband recently and found it and the website to be worth it. I have MFP integrated along with a Withings WiFi scale. Everything works as it should and I feel I am getting appropriate value out of my investment.
  • Speleobabe
    Speleobabe Posts: 2 Member
    I do wish you would offer a free limited subscription that would perhaps only track calories burned. It kind of irks me that after spending so much money on the device that we have to pay a monthly fee just to use it. I'll do it when my free subscription runs out, but I must admit that I'm not happy about it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    For the cost of the subscription, you could buy a new non-subscription tracker every year.