Frustrations with friends

Options

Replies

• Slimmd
    Slimmd Posts: 10
    Options
    I am trying to friend people who eat well (most of the time-- we all have exceptions!) and exercise regularly. If my friends saw a negative trend in my diet, I would appreciate the check in, since I'd see it as a wake up call. After all, we're on here because we need support! I think you just have to read your post a few times before you send it because tone gets lost in emails/posts. As long as you're constructive, I think it's more than fine.
  • Morgenlstar
    Morgenlstar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would say that its best not so say anything unless they ask for help when they aren't making progress. I know I'm not perfect and the last thing I want is someone to happen to check my diary on a treat day and then make a comment to me about it. I know we're all here for support but at the same time, we have to be careful not to offend people.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to make comments about people's bad food choices I usually try to do it in a positive and constructive way. Something like "good work on staying under, how about a few more veggies in there/you probably should watch your sodium/are you drinking enough water" as opposed to "you are making bad food choices/you just ate crap all day". Try and encourage them to incorporate healthy things into their diet by positive suggestions.

Having said that if it's happening all the time and they don't really express a desire to change I would just stop commenting and not look at their diary. I suppose you could delete them if it really bothers you. If they are eating within their calories and still losing weight I guess it's each to their own. People are on here for different reason and losing weight even by still eating lots of crap is probably still improving their health. Just harder to stick to long term
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I have one friend in particular that I've asked to be critical of my diary when necessary. I respect her for all the weight she's lost and she always eats well. I don't really want someone who eats a lot of junk calling me out on my choices or being too low/too high. I may not always follow her advice, but I do hear it and try to make changes.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I fail to see how their food intake affects your progress. I also fail to see how it is your place to judge their food intake.

If my friends have a good day, I tell them. If they ate nothing but crap, or they went over their caloric limit, I still tell them good job. Ya know why? Because at least they're logging.

Oh, and I lost over 100 lbs shoveling McDonald's, In n Out, Jack in the Box, Taco Bueno, and ungodly amounts of pizza in my face.

Judgy thread is judgy.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I delete people who routinely eat too little as I did one who was doing medifast having days where she was eating very little and days where she was obviously binging. I can't provide support to someone who doesn't want it yet.

We all fall off the wagon but there are no magic potions out there, just hard work and making good choices more often than bad ones.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I fail to see how their food intake affects your progress. I also fail to see how it is your place to judge their food intake.

If my friends have a good day, I tell them. If they ate nothing but crap, or they went over their caloric limit, I still tell them good job. Ya know why? Because at least they're logging.

Oh, and I lost over 100 lbs shoveling McDonald's, In n Out, Jack in the Box, Taco Bueno, and ungodly amounts of pizza in my face.

Judgy thread is judgy.

well, for me, its simple. im not here to make "regular" friends. im here to lose weight, and if im going to have any friends on my profile, they are going to be friends who i consider "motivating"... someone eating a bunch of crap, to me, is not motivating. do i say anything to them? no, its not my place... but i do delete them. simple as that.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I rarely will comment on someone else's log. I think your diary is more for you to keep a visual record of your habits so you can see what is working for you and what is not. Occasionally I will look at someone's diary if I see they are really having some great losses to get some ideas. Usually the only comments I make are to ask how to make something that they had in their diary that looked interesting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Judgy thread is judgy.

These are foods I ate to get in shape too (except for Jack in the Box, cuz that shish is nastee), so people should be wary of what they think other people need to eat to lose weight. My "junk food" meals are probably better planned out than most people's "clean eating" meals and I hit my macros, stay at my calories, lose weight and get strong. All while enjoying the awesome free wi-fi at McD's.

I'll disagree with Lea on one little thing. This site is set up SO people can check behind other people, so if you want to check and comment, go ahead. If your friends don't like it they can delete you. Or you delete them if their Dunkin Donut habit offends you. I don't check diaries and while my is open to my friends I don't post it at the end of the day. That's the part of the site that just isn't for me, but to each his own.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Judgy thread is judgy.

These are foods I ate to get in shape too (except for Jack in the Box, cuz that shish is nastee), so people should be wary of what they think other people need to eat to lose weight. My "junk food" meals are probably better planned out than most people's "clean eating" meals and I hit my macros, stay at my calories, lose weight and get strong. All while enjoying the awesome free wi-fi at McD's.

I'll disagree with Lea on one little thing. This site is set up SO people can check behind other people, so if you want to check and comment, go ahead. If your friends don't like it they can delete you. Or you delete them if their Dunkin Donut habit offends you. I don't check diaries and while my is open to my friends I don't post it at the end of the day. That's the part of the site that just isn't for me, but to each his own.
    For the record, I wised up and I now no longer eat Jack in the Crack.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I had a few people on my friends list quite a few mos. back that every single day was McD's and it was like throughout the day that I ended up deleting. My current friends I am fine with. We all have our days etc.. but I don't see any problems unless going over all the time. But it depends on the situation. Soo as of right now there really isn't anyone to call out on unless asking why they aren't losing weight and they are really always over.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Saw thread title, thought it was a mobile game for venting.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    and people r giving me **** for meal replacements its funny as ****!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Saw thread title, thought it was a mobile game for venting.

Meee tooo! I was ready to put a word in~ :yawn:
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you're going to make a topic like this, your diary should be open.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    At least they're keeping a Journal. How about your actual friends/family who don't seem to care enough about themselves to use MyFitnessPal or exercise. That's what bugs me.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Honestly if the person is in their Macro's and especially if their working out I think they deserve it. Like if my friend went on an 8 mile run and burned 900 calories then damn straight they get a Big Mac or a giant cookie or a bowl of ice cream if they want one! I just see it as them indulging in the things they want but still eating a reasonable amount. The people who limit themselves to very specific foods or refuse to ever eat certain things or only eat diet food are the one who will fail. You won't go your whole life without eating Mcdonald's. MFP for me is all about a life style change. Knowing what you're putting in your body and how much of it. If you're burning it off or eating less of other stuff through out that day and meeting your goals what does it matter what kind of food your're eating ?

I had Wendy's today, ate 1200 calories total and was under in all of my Macro's. I had a Snickers bar a few days ago and was way under on my Macro's, I had a 400 calorie double chocolate donut last week after a 10 mile run and I still had extra calories at the end of the day. You gotta treat yourself to things, the people who end up failing are the ones who forbid themselves from eating certain foods.

What I find MORE ridiculous and unacceptable is people who go around bragging that they have a negative net or they burned off all the calories they are or like OMG GUYS ALL THE CALORIES IA HAD TODAY WAS JUICE IM LYKE SO AWESOME then that **** is getting you deleted. I'd rather see someone eating Mcdonald's and Taco Bell and Dominios every day then see someone restricting
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, I don't have time to go through my friend's diaries. Sometimes I will see something that looks yummy and make a comment, but most of the time, the only auto-feeds that I make a comment on are when they post a loss or do some exercise. I figure grown-ups can figure out what diet works for them.

That being said, OP would be wise not to send me a friend request. She probably would not like my choices either. I don't eat fast food much, since I really don't care for fast food, except Arby's and Subway. But I eat more sugar than most people on here would think that I ought to. I've had one friend mention it to me, but I let her know that while she is free to make comments, I won't be taking her advice.

Some people refuse to give up alcohol, but for me, I refuse to give up my baked goods. I just keep it under my calorie goal.
    Judgey thread is judgey.
    Indeed!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Judgey McJudgey-pants. This is exactly why my diary is locked down like Fort Knox. I am an adult and fully aware of when I don't make good choices. I don't need anyone else "calling me out" on it or suggesting that veggies would be better than a mcdouble. I also fail to see how the food I stuff down my throat impacts you and your choices.

As to doing it "all the time", before you start judging, consider that there may be things going on in their lives that make better choices just not realistic for a time. My parents were both in the hospital for 4 1/2 months. In that time, we also moved and renovated the new house (where we were living), we had to renovate my parents house so they could come home, I had to travel for work, and I got injured and had surgery. Perhaps I would have appreciated your suggestions for how to "cook" healthier meals when my house had no kitchen and I was getting home at midnight only to start renovation work so I could have a kitchen. More likely, I would have been annoyed that you had the balls to criticize my Pizza Hut super-supreme slices for dinner (and breakfast and lunch). I logged what I ate and know full well that my food choices weren't good. But given what all was going on, it's what worked for the time (several months). And while I certainly could have explained all of that to judgmental friends that criticized my eating patterns, I didn't and I shouldn't have to. It's my mouth, my health and my hips that suffered the consequences. I already have enough drama in my life without having to explain what I eat to my friends.

Please don't send a friend request-I don't need judgmental friends who think I'm not capable of determining what foods are and aren't healthy choices.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I just posted a message in this board for the same reason. I am looking for friends who look at diaries and like to comment.