my arms hurt SO bad...

Options
I had my second workout with my new trainer on Friday. I think we WAY overdid it. My arms (the top side of my elbows, not the joint but the inside of my elbows) hurts so bad that I can't straighten my arms. The left is way worse than the right. I have tried ice and ibuprofen but they are still killing me. Any advice?

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    alternate ice and heat, never ice for more than 20 minutes, ibuprofen is good, and if it shows NO improvement at all by tomorrow then you probably damaged something and should see a doctor.
    And make sure you REST your arms, do not try to do a "light" workout. the muscles need to be at rest. You could go for a long walk for cardio if you want to but don't swing your arms a lot.

I hope you feel better.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Don't work your arms again until they feel better. If you're injured and the soreness doesn't go away within a few days, see your doctor.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    A535 helps me.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    double post
    - Some people also use L-Glutamine as a supplement to help repair the muscles.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    My arms (the top side of my elbows, not the joint but the inside of my elbows) hurts so bad that I can't straighten my arms.

When I first started working on trying to do pull-ups this happened to me. I could barely straighten my arms all the way. I had never had such soreness. But it did go away in a couple of days. I agree with the advice to rotate heat and ice but the biggest thing is to just wait and let the muscles rest and repair.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I may go for a walk later, but nothing more than that today!
  • innerhottie
    Options
    I just soaked in a STEAMING hot tub and that is SO much better than the ice. I was actually able to straighten my arms afterwards without tears!
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I had something similar once when i overtrained in the gym, the next day i couldnt straighten my arm either and the pain was right on the inside crease of my elbow. went to the docs and he said it was tendonitis. The tendons that attach your muscles to the bone fit inside little tubes and if over exerted can run and become inflamed, this may or may not be what you have obviously but all that he recommended was rest and ibuprofen to reduce swelling :0)
  • innerhottie
    Options
    Thanks... I actually just wrapped my left arm and just the compression is helping.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I had my second workout with my new trainer on Friday. I think we WAY overdid it. My arms (the top side of my elbows, not the joint but the inside of my elbows) hurts so bad that I can't straighten my arms. The left is way worse than the right. I have tried ice and ibuprofen but they are still killing me. Any advice?

Ouch! I know the feeling. Happened to me a couple of weeks ago from doing some tricep workouts with a bit heavier weights than usual. Make sure not to work out until your arms are well rested. I waited a week. Also,I found stretching helped too.

Also, make sure you tell your trainer!!