embarrassed to leave the house.. :(

Options
a year ago i weighed about 140... only 10 pounds from my goal. this year.. after knee surgery and a ton of stress i now am up to 155.. i feel horrible. last year i bought some cute clothing.. actually showing some skin.. this year i am back to dressing like i used to when i was 190. long skirts, long sleeves.. basically hiding myself. i do not want to go out in public.. i feel like everyone is staring at me .. i feel like a failure. i have tried dieting.. failed.. i was going to the gym and to zumba.. but now cant afford it and with my work schedual.. i no longer have free time. im in a rut.. both mentally and physically and have no idea how to get out. I would love some help at how to change my image of myself.. i think if i can manage that.. my body might be able to follow.. but as of right now.. i dont want to leave the house. and i do take a nice photo.. but in person.. not so much.. any help with fixing the head and suggestions to get back on the wagon would be helpful.. thanks.. :(

Replies

• castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? It doesn't sound like 155 is "out of control" you still can pull it back.
    You need to get the motivation to be very careful with your caloric intake and be extremely honest with your logging on the site.
    I am new to the site, only joined in September, but it helped me lose the last 10 lbs I needed to lose and I am positive it will help me to maintain. Today is one month since I started my maintenance and I am exactly the same weight I was on 11/9/12. I am 135 lbs. I would like to be 130, but if I can't back down to that weight, I can't. I look ok in my clothing and I made a promise to myself not to go over 140 EVER again. I had hit 177 and that is nothing to brag about and is even more embarrassing to admit. But simple fact, it is true. Me, 5 Ft 3 in was 177 lbs and not anywhere near happy with myself. By the time I hit 155, I was getting happy, much happier.. so just dedicate yourself to backing it down and you will succeed.
    Good luck!
  • madworld1
    Options
    I am a huge believer in the power of the mind. We are what we think. If I continuously tell myself that "I am a failure," then I will undoubtedly fail. It's just a vicious cycle. Negative thoughts are saboteurs. Try replacing negative thoughts with positive thoughts. It will take some practice.

You say that you have no free time. Think about your daily routine. Do you watch any television at all? Do you surf the internet? Those are free times. If you don't do those things, can you get up early in the morning to workout? What about your lunch break? Even a little exercise is better than none, and it does wonders for self-esteem. :)
  • sumer_13
    sumer_13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Madworld1 great advice! We will become what we believe.. Very smart woman you are.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Don't say you have failed, you can restart right now! I had a couple months where I stopped logging because of school stress, and I felt so terrible physically and emotionally. When I decided I needed to restart all of this, I took a couple of days to drink lots of water, get moving with some easy exercise (walks) and then I was ready to start logging my food again. I had to mentally ease myself back into it! Everybody does it differently but I believe we can all reach our goals.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    a year ago i weighed about 140... only 10 pounds from my goal. this year.. after knee surgery and a ton of stress i now am up to 155.. i feel horrible. last year i bought some cute clothing.. actually showing some skin.. this year i am back to dressing like i used to when i was 190. long skirts, long sleeves.. basically hiding myself. i do not want to go out in public.. i feel like everyone is staring at me .. i feel like a failure. i have tried dieting.. failed.. i was going to the gym and to zumba.. but now cant afford it and with my work schedual.. i no longer have free time. im in a rut.. both mentally and physically and have no idea how to get out. I would love some help at how to change my image of myself.. i think if i can manage that.. my body might be able to follow.. but as of right now.. i dont want to leave the house. and i do take a nice photo.. but in person.. not so much.. any help with fixing the head and suggestions to get back on the wagon would be helpful.. thanks.. :(

It sounds like you have some confidence issues. You shouldn't let what other people think bother you. You should be doing this for yourself. But seriously, you are not that heavy. You are not gross. People are not staring at you and if they are well shame on them. Nobody's perfect.
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    In the first place, there is nothing wrong with long skirts and long sleeves. A bit of mystery can be a bit sexy.

Too many of us can't see ourselves as others do. Go to mybodygallery.com, put in your height, weight, and body type. The My Body Gallery project is real women, mostly dressed in ordinary clothing, not models or anything like that, and you get a better idea of what you look like to others. You can also put in your goal weight to get an idea of what you might look like at that weight. It's a great motivator! Then, to see how far you have come, put in your starting weight and see what you have accomplished!
  • Mandarz
    Mandarz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    work out at home, I bought 10 min trainer, ( im sure you can burn it but im not all good with technology ) and that was my start, 10 min works outs i could fit in during the day and i noticed a major difference in my stamina after just a few weeks...
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    What you believe is perhaps the most important part of making changes that last. If you feel bad about your weight and appearance, if you're frustrated about your injury, if you are embarrassed then it can be very hard to make changes that matter.

The past two years I spent getting myself as fit as possible. I was in a stuck place with weight loss which annoyed me, but my muscles had changed radically and I was even planning to do a tri-athalon in 2012 although I was sure I would be the heaviest woman in the event. (I have done 2 half-marathons and except for the friend who did it with me I'm pretty sure I was the heaviest at least one of them, but I didn't finish last in either of them.) In January my life stopped hard. I was discovered to have a brain tumor. I had two surgeries. I took awful drugs including steroids that made me gain a pound a day for more than a month. I slept more than 20 hours a day for more than a month. Being able to stay awake did not mean having energy enough to walk around the neighborhood. By the time I could I didn't want to be seen either and I didn't have a lot of clothes that fit me. When I got back to any kind of exercise it was mostly tai chi. Not a great fat burner, but important for waking up my muscles again. By the time I was ready to go back in the gym I knew I had to lose 60 lbs and I was not allowed to do more than 15-20 minutes of exercise and only if I had someone right beside me the whole time.

I tell you all of this to say this. I hear you. Do what you can. Do what you're willing to do. Even if it means you're doing a few yoga poses in your living room. I promise you when you start feeling a little change in your ability it will help you to want to do more. You'll be surprised how fast it can happen. Since September I've gone from being able to lift 35 of my pounds to being able to lift 90 of them while working on my pull-ups. My arms still don't look as good as they did a year ago, but I'm not ashamed to wear a sleeveless dress to a Christmas party.

You don't have as far to go as I did physically, but you might have the same emotional distance. Funny how that works. If I can encourage you, feel free to friend me. Sometimes we all need to hear we're not the only one trying to make a good decision and finding it hard.
  • karylee44
    Options
    I dont even know if losing the3 weigth would make a difference...i hbave panic attacks everytime i get ready to leave the house. I guess i just have to make it through the holidays...then work on it.... i just get really upset even going to work now...i know it is in my head...i just dont know how to get it out
  • rock_kowgurl
    Options
    Sounds like your problem is less weight related and more agoraphobia. Consider seeing a therapist; There are some who will come to your home. I had many issues with leaving the house and being in public and in crowds and therapy helped me immensely.

If you don't want to get therapy, the next time you feel poorly about yourself just think of me. I weigh almost 100 pounds more than you and I go out in public every day. I wear revealing clothing too. If I can do it at my gigantic 272 pounds, you can do it at your 190. ;-)
  • 4kuykesh
    4kuykesh Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the benefits available to you through your employer; however, if they offer EAP (Employee Assistance Provider) services, these counseling services are typically free of charge. Could be deeper issues that are causing the panics etc. Good luck to you and take care....
  • karylee44
    Options
    i am 5'5"ish.. and currently at 155..
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    I agree, it sounds like you have a mental problem, not a weight problem. If you are seriously embarrassed to go out of the house at 155 lbs then you have body dysmorphia and need to see a therapist.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As a teacher, you know that you can get help with what sounds like agoraphobia. However, if it is not, I can tell you that I went on a cruise this summer and gained 12 lbs in two weeks. Do I regret eating what I did? No way and I knew that the scale would be higher when I got home. I didn't expect 12 lbs though. I just started walking again, watching what I was eating and recently, got back to MFP to track my calories. I am down 11 of those 12 lbs and back on my way to my goal. I am older and if I can do it, so can you! Good luck to you!
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Keep looking at the positive and do what you can!! Go for a walk, run, pop in a DVD and BTW I think you look great! Just keep plugging at it!!
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It's natural to gain some weight around the holidays and when under stress. I still think you look beautiful. You are NOT a failure. You are very talented and successful as an artist, as a teacher, and as a mother (hint: when your kids are pissed off and hate you, that means you're a great parent! LOL).

You're just going through a time of high stress. Roll with it. You've got some fun friends at work. Enjoy yourself there. Think of it as an escape from the house. Once your knee recovers you can hammer out the physical exercise size stuff. In the meantime... chin up and crank some tunes!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    @karylee4
    It sounds like you were successful in reducing your weight before you gained some back. You even bought new clothes, so I'm guessing that you were feeling good about your new look. If you did it once, you can do it again. You have that success to remind yourself that it's not new territory. There are certain things I've achieved in my life that I'll ALWAYS have, and I use them to remind myself that I can do what I'm attempting. Even losing weight. You can do it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you're judging yourself much more harshly than anyone else is judging you.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble finding the confidence to work out outside or around people then just do an exercise dvd at home until you can get your weight down a little.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are feeling this way.

I agree with a few other people that it does sound more like a confidence, self esteem issue as opposed to an actual weight issue. I really think a few sessions with a therapist will help.

I'm also a believer in the "fake it till you make it" attitude. ie don't let the negative thoughts consume you. Act like the confident person you want to be and eventually it will happen.