Pregnancy

Options
Hi.
I know this is different from person to person, but how much weight, on average did you ladies gain during pregnancy?
I'm at my ideal weight now, and I'm about 5 weeks pregnant, so I want to work out how to start adding calories to gain sufficient weight but not becoming over-weight. I'm 1.74m, weighing 70kg.

Replies

• zuchy
    zuchy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to add calories during the first and second trimester. In the third trimester you might want to add 200-300 cals a day.

Healthy choices matter a lot more than calorie intake (although going too high or too low WILL have adverse effects on your health and your baby's).

Source: midwife.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to add calories during the first and second trimester. In the third trimester you might want to add 200-300 cals a day.

Healthy choices matter a lot more than calorie intake (although going too high or too low WILL have adverse effects on your health and your baby's).

Source: midwife.

This. Source: Registered Nurse
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    im 5'8 which is roughly 173cm i was 66 kilo before pregnancy i got to 86 kilo and then lost 14 kilo after birth the rest is taken a bit of effort to to get off. im 4.5 month pp
    I gained weight no matter what , i ate in moderation and exercised till my 39 wk, Adding additional calories to assist in a healthy pregnancy i think in the third trimester is like an extra 200 but i personally think just eat in moderation also watch the things that you may not be able to eat & your body will get to a healthy pregnancy by it self. i put on 20 kilo so do not be alarmed if that happens i was like HOLY MOLY " my midwife had no problems with it.
    Goodluck:)
  • scruggsdl
    scruggsdl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just eat, it's time for your baby, not the body. My wife is in her 3rd trimester and has ate the same amount, but healthier, chasing a 19 month old around and still packing the same pounds. I'm going to chalk that one up to genetics. Do not be afraid of fats, as well as the other goodies that everyone recommends. Avoid the 25 to 40 lbs ranges for underweight overweight, and pretty much everything from the "What to Expect" books as I'm almost certain they were written by brain dead barbies from Matel.

Also, you might not lose the rest of the weight until you stop breastfeeding, my wife dropped the rest of her weight after my son was choosing whole milk over breastfed. Which leads me to another point, if you are dropping weight a lot while breastfeeding, that's probably not a good thing to be happy about... eat dinner, feed your child while feeding that breastmilk.

Quit worrying about the gain, just watch the junkfood. If you say you can't do that and it's because of a husband/bf/etc... swiftly kick them in the nuts as that's a problem you don't need while caring for your child. If he continues to be a jerk, find a new man.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I gained about 60 with each kid, all came at the last trimester. I did lose 40 with each kid in a few months by breastfeeding.