How many carbs do you eat a Day?

Options
Ok, I just finished reading a Weight loss book by Bob Green (Oprah's trainer). It was very imformative, but one section has me a bit puzzled. He says that if you hit a plateau and want to break it to cut way back on your carbs. He didn't say to what amount obviously because we are all different. Well, then I went online and started searching to see what others were saying. the Atkins diet recommends 20 carbs a day for a period of time. I couldn't believe tis!1 Basically you eat protien and veggies. I don't know how people can possible get at least 1200 in let alone more for excercise! Is anyone out there doing this? Also, how many do you eat on an average and are you having success long term? Have you ever had to tweak your diet to break a plateau? If so, how did you do it?
While were at it, could you please tell me if you eat back your excercise cals, all of them or part, and what is working for you. I've read a lot of different approaches to this sticky topic and I knew everyone is different, but I'm looking for possible ideas to help me change things up again so I don't reach another plateau, besides, I'm really curious to know whats working for everyone out there so I can compare your strategies to my own! thanks!!!!.

Replies

• Anansis_Intricacy
    Options
    I can tell you that roughly 130 carbs are recommended daily for proper brain function. I don't remember why right off the top of my head, but I can look it up in my nutrition class notes if you like. It is possible to get this while not eating most grains, perhaps, since you can also get a lot of carbs from certain fruits and possibly vegetables.

That being said, if you hit a plateau, sometimes switching up how many calories you eat and how much/ the type of exercise you do can help a lot. Sometimes, having one day a week where you eat more or less calories can help a lot. The idea really is to make sure your metabolism doesn't get too used to whatever you're doing. I definitely eat back most of my exercise calories, partially because if I don't I get really hungry and irritable, but also because I seem to lose weight better when I do. And, as you lose more weight, you may have to exercise harder or do different exercises because your muscles are getting stronger and adjusting.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I eat approx 150-200 carbs per day, they stack up pretty quick! I try not to eat much in the way of processed foods, (except for the occasional sweet treet) :wink: I do eat all my exercise calories every day. Good luck! Looks like you are WELL on your way!
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    I eat about 120 a day. I weigh 103lbs. I eat 1 cup of rice split between two meals and then veggies and protein with the rest of my meals. I eat 6 a day. The fat is falling off.

Good luck.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    When I was first losing, I was keeping my carbs to 40-60 g per day. Now I'm up to 175-200 (average calories 1900-2000). On days I do really long workouts (3 hours or more), I get a lot more carbs of course because I'm fueling from mostly carb sources.

You need about 120 g of glucose a day for proper brain function. Your body makes glucose most easily from carbs but it can make glucose from any calories -- it doesn't have to be carbs. At least it doesn't for some people. Some people don't have any trouble making glucose from other sources and do fine on less carbs but some people get grumpy and hazy brain if they don't eat enough carbs.

Oh and I think Atkins does something like "net carbs" so you can subtract the fiber from the carbs and so you are really eating more than 20 g of carbs. It's also only for a few weeks. I think they call that the 'induction phase'. I don't know for sure though because the last time I did Atkins was in the 70s and my mom's boyfriend at the time just told us what to do and we did it. :laugh:
  • I018485
    I018485 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Curiosity for LaTerri: what do you eat for breakfast? No carbs?
    Thanks for sharing!
  • RLCoach
    RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I lost 63 pounds by the idea that I had to lose a total of 220500 calories. I tried to eat low fat and many fruits and veggies and fish/chicken. But, mostly I worried about tracking the total calorie deficits and tried to average 1000 a day/deficit.. It was supposed to take 221 days to do it, or 7 months. I was at my goal weight in about 6 months. But the calorie deficit almost matched perfectly with the total pounds. So I guess I am saying, when you get to a plateau, think in the long term that the calorie deficits will eventually match the pounds lost. I chart and graph things so I have a visual reminder.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Im doing atkins, just beginning again. Before I lost about 35 lbs 200 to 166lbs in about 3 months, but started re eating all the carbs again. So Atkins is a Way of life. Its not too bad, Im a meat lover to begin with. Its pretty much eat all the meat you want and get your 20 g of carbs from veggies.
    After 2 weeks of that (longer if you have lots to loose) you add in 5 g more carbs a week-ish, till you maintain a weight. You cant go back to eating 200+g of carbs a day, or you'll regain (me).
    I try and keep my calories in a good range, and my carbs between 15-25g. Most of my calories come from meats. On days I work out I allow myself more calories, but still stay in my carb range.
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think I usually eat about 180g. I'm thinking about trying to lower them again though (I already did once since starting with MFP).
    I've heard about a lot of research lately that carbs are the devil, especially for women. Obviously I don't mean that no one should ever eat a carb again (I already did this morning) but it does seem like more information is supporting that they are not as important as most people think they are. I don't know if I could ever live without rice, bread, and potatoes but I'm thinking I'm going to try to get down to around a 100 or so a day and see if it makes me feel better.
  • I018485
    I018485 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I am recycling my post from another group.
    I would like to suggestion you to re-consider carbs, researching for factual data about fat and healthy/thin people around the world. I hope to have time soon to post some links to official statistics on this topic.
    For now just my 2 cents based on my personal life:
    I still believe that carbs are good for us and that they are NOT the problem.
    I am Italian and our Mediterranean diet is mostly carbs: pasta and bread, 3 times a day. Plus, plenty of vegetables. Few protein, some fruit and extra virgin olive oil. Believe me, EVERYBODY I know in Italy is extremely thin! From babies to grandpa.
    I gained weight when I moved to USA 3 years ago.
    I started to eat MORE! This is the problem. Here everything is 3-4 times the size I was used to. Meaning, 3-4 times the calories and LESS physical activity. No more long walk to park, to take the Metro, bus, train, etc.
    I have never dieted in my life (never needed) and this is why I am here.
    2 years ago I stopped the “USA fatty diet” and went back to my origin. My usual “Italian diet” is perfect to keep the weight off but it’s not enough to lose weight.
    I have 42 years of experience of low calorie rich carb diet to prove that it’s the perfect solution for the life time and to maintain the weight. Plus, there are tons of statistics about Italy, Greece, etc. We all eat at the same manner: fresh and VERY VERY SMALL!!!
    Now the challenge is to lose these 13 pounds to go back to the normality.
  • aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    Thank you I018485 for your post. I agree with what you said. I tried the Atkins diet about 8 years ago. my body did not respond well at all to the reduction in carbs and I almost was hospitalized from this. Personally it is not something I would ever do again and I would never recommend it to anyone. For me when I start to plateau I raise and lower my calories and switch up my exercise routine, make sure I am getting enough sleep and drink lots of water. But again this is what I do and what happened to me. I know there are lots of people who have had great success on a low carb diet. Some with great long term results. Most gained back more than they lost. So just be careful and maybe talk to your dr before doing something like that.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different so to say something works for you therefore it works for everyone is a big stretch. The same with something that doesn't work for you... that doesn't mean it doesn't work for some people and quite well.
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    On most days I am between 100-140 depending on if I had an extra protein shake or not. I do NOT eat any past lunch except for once a week. Like the previous post said everyone is different its all about learning how your body reacts to the fuel we give it. Food Is Fuel!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I recently customed my settings because I've slowed a lot in loss (could be because I'm nearing goal though). I changed my carbs, protein and fat to the 40%, 30%, 30% (respectively) suggestions I've seen on here. At 1350 calories a day (1.5 pounds a week loss) that's 135 carbs a day. I'll admit its tough. But I like to buy some back (along with calories!) with working out. I try to eat mainly meat/veggies dishes for dinner and no carbs. That helps. Usually a chicken breast or tilapia fillet with a salad or green beans, or asparagus, etc. I try to get a lot of my carbs from fruit and such.
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    hey everyone!!! thank you so much for the imput!!! I thought I'd update you and let you know that I have increased my carbs fro 140 to 170 each day, but I'm getting around 20-28 fiber a day. I saw my doc last week and she told me because of my blood sugar problems in the past, I need carbs!! I do eat mostly wheat products, but she told me I could ahve "white" carbs in moderation and very small portions. Hurray for mashed potatoes!!!!lol (she also told me that for every fiber gram I can deduct 1 carb, so I can have more, like on weekends, if I really want too!) I've heard of so many different variations, I just wasn't sure what I really needed!!! Thanks again for all your help!!!!
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    I eat 1/2 cup of Rice Select Brown rice, 6 egg whites, and 3 tablespoons of home made pico de gallo.

or

I eat my fruit serving at bfast
    1/2 cup of steel cut oats, 2 oz no sugar apple sauce, 1/4 C blueberries mixed together + 6-8 egg whites

I only get 2 servings of fruit a day. My food diary is public, incase you want to stalk me. :)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    20 at a low point to 100 at a high point here.

It's all based on individual need. The lower I go, the more ketone bodies I produce (i.e. in lieu of consuming glucose from dietary sources our body converts incomplete chains of fatty acids in the liver - hepatic pathway - to glucose - which is able to fuel the brain). I only go low if I'm not working out in any intense manner. The more I increase the intensity of my workouts, the more I increase the carbohydrate consumed, but usually not above 150g/day unless it's a planned cheat.

Again, like I said, individual need. I've tried higher carbohydrate ("eat clean every 3 hours") plans that fail me miserably (hence, why my ticker reads what it does). Even when I'm in the middle of a fitness program (P90X, for example) I just fail...and put on weight from eating too much. I'm just a raving hunger machine with an out of control sweet tooth when I crank the carbs too high, even when they are "good" carbs.

Basically I need a diet complete with a lot of dietary fat, moderate protein, and low to moderate carbohydrate and I'm set. My weight normalizes and I have good energy and far fewer sugar cravings, that's for sure.