Planet Fitness

Options
I'm debating on using them and trying to start some sort of weight training. I'm down 45 officially (I started MFP into my diet) and I'm thinking I should start doing some weight training. My goal is 150 pds and I have 78 more to get there (if my math is right). I'm thinking that some sort of weight training would make it look better as it goes down.

I used to have a Y membership, but after years of paying them and not using it, I let it go. So, I'm debating between the Y, Planet Fitness, or fitness equipment at home. I'm interested in hearing good/bad experiences about Planet Fitness.

Replies

• deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I go to PF and I love my gym. It's huge, clean and lots of new equipment. They have free weights up to 60 lbs, a circuit area and 12 minute abs. Plus the price is right, 20 a month and I also have tanning, red light therapy, the hydro massage beds and massage chairs:)
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Is that extra or is it part of the package? I was paying 44 a month at the Y. Then, if I wanted to take a class it was only a couple of dollars less than non members. After a while, it just got frustrating. Do they have trainers there?
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    They are opening up the firs Planet Fitness in my town soon. I signed up for the $10 a month plan and $1 sign up fee. If I don't like it I can quit too since there isn't a yearly contract. If I like and continue there is a $24.99 membership fee due in Oct 2013 and it is still only $10 a month. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with a staff person on site all the time. They have a plan for $20 that includes tanning, massage chairs and some other stuff but I wasn't interested in that. Can't wait for it to open the first week of Jan so I start going. I looked around at all the gyms in my town and this was the cheapest monthly rate I could find and I liked not being locked into a year or two contract.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I was a planet fitness member for years back east. They are a no frills gym, almost none of the clubs have classes or anything like that, but they have a lots of weights and machines. They are a gym for people who just want to use the gym. I never had any complaints.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think you should go back to the Y- they have a membership for all program that goes by your income. The classes are free- the Programs (gymnastics for example) you have to pay for. They have trainers, but i think they cost? They have a new program Activtrax that helps come up with a strength program for you based on your goals and a Strength Test. My Y is open 5am-9pm and i LOVE it!

FTR- With my hubbys work dscount (without the membership for all) and a family membership we pay $70/mnth.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It seems like we have a thread on this topic almost daily..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813465-planet-fitness-sucks?hl=planet+fitness
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    It seems like we have a thread on this topic almost daily..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813465-planet-fitness-sucks?hl=planet+fitness

x2^
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    they have two packages, the 10.99 is for access to equip only, the 19.99 is for access to equip, tanning beds, red light, and massage chairs. Also have trainers, can sign up for 30 min sessions to show you how to use equip & get a good routine down and is targeted to specific areas if need be. they dont have classes thought.

hope this helps! I love my gym, I never have to wait for a machine on account of there being so many & i love the fact there is always somebody there. Previously had a gym that was 24hr too, but had a digital key...PF has a staffer there whenever they are open.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    They have free weights up to 60 lbs

Snickers.jpg
  • slickrocka
    Options
    By my area i heard theres no dumbbells past 60, no grunting or dropping weights i guess that the "buzz thing", but my biggest issue is NO DEAD LIFTS AND NO BENCHING, as a guy who is serious about losing weight and putting muscle on i cant see why you would go there. I say its good only if you are not too serious and a good stepping stone before you go to Golds gym or Xsport. Not that you have to work your self up to those gyms.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It sounds like some PF are better than others, but it also sounds like the general trend from Corporate is not in a good direction for someone who wants to have maximum options for weight training. YMMV but the trend seems unfavorable.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The best gym is the one that you use. If the Y has stuff that makes it worth the extra money go to the Y. Most of the Y's by me have a pool and racquetball courts and a lot of other stuff. There are no PF's by me.

When you say freeweights up to 60lbs do you mean dumb bells? This isn't much. At some point you may want to go beyond the circuit machines and 60lb dumb bells but that could be a ways down the road or you may never get there. PF's price is hard to beat.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    They are a judgement free zone :heart:

And they seem to hate certain groups of people :flowerforyou:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like a great option for the OP. You will probably outgrow the weights they have, but for $10 a month and no contract I don't understand why there's so much hate for it. You couldn't lease a single treadmill for that. I think it's a fantastic option for people who are beginners and not sure exactly what features suit them best in a gym. If you don't like it, you quit your membership and go elsewhere.
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    After being a member of our local YMCA for 17 years I needed a change. PF opened in early October in my area. Same driving time to either facility. I haven't looked back! Our PF has classes and fantastic personal trainers. One in fact is a friend who left the Y after being a trainer for 7 years. Making a list of pros and cons for each may help.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I was a planet fitness member for years back east. They are a no frills gym, almost none of the clubs have classes or anything like that, but they have a lots of weights and machines. They are a gym for people who just want to use the gym. I never had any complaints.

I had the same experience when I belonged. I moved and don't have one close to the house, otherwise I'd still be a member.
  • Metspride129
    Metspride129 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness is good for someone like you who is looking to lose weight. they have all the tools needed for you, and are very clean, and is a cheap membership. If you are looking to lift heavy.....dont use planet fitness. I got thrown out one day for lifting too much on the smiths machine. I had 445 on the bar, did a 1 rep max, and had someone from the staff come to me and ask me to leave because my lifting heavy was making others feel insecure and uncomfortable. I looked at them, laughed, and said "I thought this is a judgement free zone....you are throwing me out because i'm lifting weights and are JUDGING me. You guys will be hearing from my lawyer." Before I could leave the parking lot, I had the manager come up to me and plead with me and offered me a free year's membership lmao
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    It would seem like you are exactly the kind of person that PF is attempting to attract, so it would be a good gym for you.

Honestly, unless you are a power lifter or real hardcore bodybuilder, PF will be enough for you.

I'd describe my lift as bodybuilding. I could do almost anything i wanted... until they took out the incline bench lol. they have dumbells that go up to 75 and thats enough for me for everything but bench press so i'm thinking even if they have 60s at yours it will be fine.

Just dont expect much in the way of instruction. They advertize something like "PE at PF' where they say its personal training. At the gym near me, thats just a highschool kid that runs through a check list of exercises that they may have acutally done themselves lol. Although, another local one had a kick *kitten* personal trainer on staff that had like 3 fitness related graduate degrees. For some reason they got rid of her when they remodeled the place. Probably because she wanted her clients to do real workouts that didn't fit into the 'judgement free' phliosophy... which is a complete joke as pointed out earlier.
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Also,

I don't know about your state but here the $20 membership along with the Tanning, massage etc etc, you can go to any other PF in the state. With the $10 membership you can only go to the one you signed up with.

Me and my work out buddy like to try other PF because they might have something different then our home PF and if we decide to go to each others were able to.

So for only $20 its worth it.

Hope this helps.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Stop asking and start doing. While I would never personally set foot inside a PF unless I lost a bet, who cares where I want to go? If PF is convenient to you then go sign up. TODAY. It's only $20. With no long term commitment. Everyone has to start somewhere and for a complete beginner PF is as good as any of the other big box chains. Will it be good for you forever? Who gives a damn, go sign up.

Less talking, more doing.

Go sign up.
    Go to bodybuilding.com and look up a beginners program (that doesn't include deadlifts, because it's not allowed at PF).
    Go lift.
    Eat sensibly.
    Rest.
    Repeat.
    Profit.