Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I like meat....done.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    vegetable protien like soy derived has estorgen, which can slow down your motabolism.
    go for whey or animal.
    Thats new to me. Can you show some evidence?

Also is motabolism in any way relate to metabolism?

When you make catty corrections of other people's spelling, you are not allowed to simultaneously make grammatical errors.

36cu3k.jpg
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Animal protein tastes better, especially medium rare
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    vegetable protien like soy derived has estorgen, which can slow down your motabolism.
    go for whey or animal.
    Thats new to me. Can you show some evidence?

Also is motabolism in any way relate to metabolism?

Actually, I have researched this and it's actually the opposite. Soy has been shown to aid weight loss.

Anyway, I don't know if one if better than the other, but I don't eat meat anymore, so other than dairy and eggs, my protein comes from produce and wheat and I'm pretty healthy.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Animal protein. We are designed to process meats - teeth and various amino digestives tell us this. There is nothing wrong with plant protein but as a species, our guts are designed this way. In modern times tho, there is good veggie alternatives that make it easier... but still not as easily absorbed nor assimilated.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Vegetable protein typically doesn't come loaded with the saturated fats that animal protein comes with. That should help you decide which is better for you.

I know! It's a real PITA! That's why I have to add coconut oil to my vegetarian diet! It would be so much easier if more vegetarian protein sources had natural saturated fat!

As long as you get a full amino acid profile, it really doesn't matter. Eat what you like.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    i would say animal but to be honest i've never tried vegetable protein
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    go for whey or animal.
    Sigh, here we go....

My vote is for a plant based diet. Eat lower on the food chain so you are not ingesting remnants of what the animal ate. In addition, it is more compassionate, will help with globally poor communities, help you avoid mad cow and bird flu, a plant based diet is immensely helpful to the environment, it will decrease your chances of heart disease and cancer, and help you cultivate a more humanitarian outlook among other things. :)

I completely agree with you, and I eat a plant based diet myself, but what the poster you quoted said about soy and estrogen is true (though, I don't know that it slows down metabolism). When I first started out as vegetarian, for years I ate primarily processed soy products (tofu, soy milk, "fake meat" substitutes, etc), like A LOT of them (meaning at least once per day), and became estrogen dominant as a result. I experienced bloated weight gain, my breasts were swollen and tender almost all the time, I developed cystic acne on my cheeks and around my mouth and chin. I brought it up with my doctor who told me about the relationship between excessive soy consumption and estrogen imbalance.

I've since decreased my soy intake drastically and my symptoms have disappeared.

I now look for vegetable protein sources in beans, soy free shake mixes like Vega or SunWarrior protein powder, and tempeh (which is soy, but isn't as heavily processed as other things like tofu and fake meat substitutes). I still eat tofu and stuff of course, I just make sure to keep it in check.

THIS was my experience. I also appreciate the reminder that not all veg. protein has to include soy. Great post.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Watching my cholesterol so its vegetable protein for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    go for whey or animal.

Huh??
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Vegetable protein typically doesn't come loaded with the saturated fats that animal protein comes with. That should help you decide which is better for you.

I know! It's a real PITA! That's why I have to add coconut oil to my vegetarian diet! It would be so much easier if more vegetarian protein sources had natural saturated fat!

As long as you get a full amino acid profile, it really doesn't matter. Eat what you like.

^^this
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    go for whey or animal.
    Sigh, here we go....

My vote is for a plant based diet. .

9755412_3087.jpg
    :bigsmile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Animal protein is loaded with bad cholesterol and saturated fat. According to many of the books I've read on nutrition and weight loss, and also nutrition classes, you don't actually need to combine foods to get all amino acids at once. If you eat a balanced, whole food plant-based diet, with lots of variety, you will get the amino acids and the protein that you need. I recently lowered my soy intake dramatically and started eating veggies in place of tofu, and I have been getting more protein than I was before.

Not necessarily true at all. Plus the saturated fat that is within animal protein is not necessarily bad. There are dozens of saturated fatty acids, one of which, for example, is stearic acid, which is in many animal based proteins and which is shown to be beneficial to health. It is just not that cut and dry.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    ^ wow nice pic..*looks around* did I just say that out load? scuse me :blushing:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ^ wow nice pic..*looks around* did I just say that out load? scuse me :blushing:

:tongue:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Animal protein is loaded with bad cholesterol and saturated fat. According to many of the books I've read on nutrition and weight loss, and also nutrition classes, you don't actually need to combine foods to get all amino acids at once. If you eat a balanced, whole food plant-based diet, with lots of variety, you will get the amino acids and the protein that you need. I recently lowered my soy intake dramatically and started eating veggies in place of tofu, and I have been getting more protein than I was before.

Not necessarily true at all. Plus the saturated fat that is within animal protein is not necessarily bad. There are dozens of saturated fatty acids, one of which, for example, is stearic acid, which is in many animal based proteins and which is shown to be beneficial to health. It is just not that cut and dry.

Agreed - http://www.menshealth.com/health/saturated-fat
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I don't know ALL the facts about both but I choose veggie proteins. There are a lot of high cholesterol issues in my family. It's either medications or diet for me so I chose diet.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    The breakdown of animal protein creates serotonin, a chemical you need to sleep.