ANIMAL protein vs VEGETEBALE protein

Options

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I LOVE EATING LITTLE PIGGIES AND CHICKENS!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I like me some meat! Mmmmmmm.......
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't know ALL the facts about both but I choose veggie proteins. There are a lot of high cholesterol issues in my family. It's either medications or diet for me so I chose diet.

^^This is fair & good thinking.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    <snip> I also appreciate the reminder that not all veg. protein has to include soy. Great post.

Most of my plant-based protein is from hemp seeds. The only time I eat soy is if I'm having Chinese food. Apparently they put soy in soy sauce. :tongue:
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I don't know ALL the facts about both but I choose veggie proteins. There are a lot of high cholesterol issues in my family. It's either medications or diet for me so I chose diet.

I have problems with high cholesterol in my family (including my sister, who's 2 years older than me is on meds), and I eat about 1.5-2 pounds of meat/day and 400-600mg of cholesterol per day. My total cholesterol is 109, as I also eat a lot of whole foods and very few foods with added sugars.

I don't get the one or the other mentality. Eat both.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    PROTEEN MAKES ME FART A LOT LOLZ
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Animal protein s'ok. In reality, it's not necessary. Hence I only eat seafood, chicken and turkey.

Vegetable protein rocks my socks... much healthier for you and full of great nutrition. When you have vegetables, you don't only get the protein, you also get a lot of rich vitamines along with it.

Soy, in moderation for women is great for you, but don't over do it. Fermented soy is not very good for women.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Animal protein s'ok. In reality, it's not necessary. Hence I only eat seafood, chicken and turkey.

I think I'm missing something here. Those things are animal protein.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Vegetable protein rocks my socks... much healthier for you and full of great nutrition. When you have vegetables, you don't only get the protein, you also get a lot of rich vitamines along with it.

Soy, in moderation for women is great for you, but don't over do it. Fermented soy is not very good for women.

I think you have that backwards.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The breakdown of animal protein creates serotonin, a chemical you need to sleep.

yay+serotonin.jpg
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Animal protein contains amino acids not found in plant based proteins Also the aforementioned serotin =)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Animal protein contains amino acids not found in plant based proteins Also the aforementioned serotin =)

Which amino acids can you not find in plant based proteins?
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    PROTEEN MAKES ME FART A LOT LOLZ

Also can give you some serious runzzzz if you are not used to it or take to much of it in straight powder form. It can take some time to build up a tolerance to it and to be able to digest higher quantities.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you break it down to just the protein, I doubt their is much difference. But I'd rate vegetable protein better because it usually comes in a better "package" (vegetables sources usually contain more other nutrients), though vegetables also typically contain less protein than leat meat/fish by volume.
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes meat used to be our primary source of sustenance but things have changed in the last million years or so, as we've developed cultivation techniques our bodies have slowly been switching towards plant based food. Some vegetable proteins are more easily absorbed and used by the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCAAS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_value

If you look at the areas of the world which have the longest living, healthiest people they tend to subsist on a mainly vegetarian diet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Zone

Really in the end it boils down to personal preference, you can lead a healthy life be it on a vegan, vegetarian or meat based diet, just seems a bit easier when you eliminate meat (especially red meat).
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    All I can say is I use to be a vegetarian and well I am Anemic now, So my doctor has prescribed me to eat 50/50 on animal and vegetable protein...so it obviously healthy in some ways. Not that I care for meat things too much. But my opinion is its healthier to have a mix up then to be missing one from your diet.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Animal protein is loaded with bad cholesterol and saturated fat. According to many of the books I've read on nutrition and weight loss, and also nutrition classes, you don't actually need to combine foods to get all amino acids at once. If you eat a balanced, whole food plant-based diet, with lots of variety, you will get the amino acids and the protein that you need. I recently lowered my soy intake dramatically and started eating veggies in place of tofu, and I have been getting more protein than I was before.

And plant protein is loaded with lectins and methionine. EDIT: and to get an adequate amount of protein from plants you'd have to overeat the heck out of legumes. Whereas it's incredibly easy to get plenty of protein from animal sources (lean meat, eggs, cottage cheese, etc).

Animal protein is better than plant protein any day of the week. It has the exact amino acid profile that we want for muscle buidling/sparing. Dietary cholesterol is not a concern, and some saturated fat in lean meats is definitely not much of a concern either.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Watching my cholesterol so its vegetable protein for me.

I eat almost entirely animal protein. My cholesterol and triglycerides dropped 30% in 8 months. Blood glucose returned to normal from being pre-diabetic too.
    Ironically, one of my physicians is a vegetarian and struggles with high triglycerides.
    Lard is actually proven to lower LDL, raise HDL and lower triglycerides.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options

It is true that you can get all of your essential amino acids through plant sources, however, it requires careful planning in order to ensure that you get them all, in sufficient quantities on a daily basis. There is no single plant or plant derrivative that delivers ALL of the essential amino acids by themselves, they are all lacking one or more of them unlike animal based sources which contain them all.

Let's take Watercress as an example. Watercress contains Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Threonine, Tryptopane and Valine, but it does not contain Methionine, Cysteine, Phenylalanie, or Tyrosine. To get a sufficient quantity of these essential amino acids, you'd need to ingest around 200 calories worth...which doesn't sound like much until you consider that 1 cup of Watercress clocks in around 14 calories. Doing the math, 200 calories/ 14 calories/cup = around 14 cups. And then you need to find some seasame flour to round it out (since seasame flour is a source of the 4 missing amino acids that aren't found in Watercress).

As someone who is hypothyroid, soy is definitely out. Depending on who you talk to, gluten and various legumes also can have issues (lectins). For most of us, meat has more upsides than down.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

It is true that you can get all of your essential amino acids through plant sources, however, it requires careful planning in order to ensure that you get them all, in sufficient quantities on a daily basis. There is no single plant or plant derrivative that delivers ALL of the essential amino acids by themselves, they are all lacking one or more of them unlike animal based sources which contain them all.

Let's take Watercress as an example. Watercress contains Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Threonine, Tryptopane and Valine, but it does not contain Methionine, Cysteine, Phenylalanie, or Tyrosine. To get a sufficient quantity of these essential amino acids, you'd need to ingest around 200 calories worth...which doesn't sound like much until you consider that 1 cup of Watercress clocks in around 14 calories. Doing the math, 200 calories/ 14 calories/cup = around 14 cups. And then you need to find some seasame flour to round it out (since seasame flour is a source of the 4 missing amino acids that aren't found in Watercress).

As someone who is hypothyroid, soy is definitely out. Depending on who you talk to, gluten and various legumes also can have issues (lectins). For most of us, meat has more upsides than down.

Bolded bit isn't really true. A varied diet takes care of it on it's own. Not to mention, lots of traditional food combinations have evolved that include complete proteins- Beans & Rice, Beans & Tortillas, Corn & Lima Beans (succotash) are a few examples. There are even some complete non-soy vegetarian options including spirulina, quinoa, and buckwheat- though they're not as easily digested and absorbed as eggs or soy. It's sort of overblown hype that you'll be deficient in certain amino acids without planning.