• ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    bump, would like this info also
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Can anyone offer some advice on how to start heavy lifting? I have never been one to lift weights and have stuck to cardio mainly however, I recently started a bootcamp and it's main focus is on strength not cardio. This has sparked an interest for me in lifting.

Any advice you could all give me on how to start off would be greatly appreciated!!

It has taken me 10 months to get to where I am now....

I started with a few of the machines at the gym. Once I was comfortable with what I was doing, I would add another machine.

Then I took a free class on the cable machines.

then I saw a lady using the plate loaded leg press. I told her how awesome she was and that I wanted to do it one day...so she showed me how!

Then I decided I wanted to squat...so I asked the trainer to watch my form to make sure I was doing it right.

Then I started having issues with one of the cable machines due to my height, so the trainer showed me alternate exercises with dumbbells.

I have been thinking about doing deadlifts, so I researched it in print and watched youtube videos, then asked the trainer to help me today

If you have the cash, it would not hurt at all to hire a trainer for a few sessions to show you how to do things and make sure your form is right.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i rarely bump topics, but i feel this is going to be a next step for me.... gonna attempt more lifting and less jumping around like an overly enthusiastic bunny. LOL thanks for all the links!

What's wrong with bunnies?

ScaryBunnyEdit.jpg
  • TheManda27
    TheManda27 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice and links!! I am looking forward to getting started. :)
  • diinva
    diinva Posts: 57
    Options
    bump
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    How about Chalean Extreme as a start.
  • ktwest2107
    ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump! :)
  • ifychudy
    ifychudy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Can anyone offer some advice on how to start heavy lifting?

slowly

steadily

get form right first and always
  • aimeev2
    aimeev2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i rarely bump topics, but i feel this is going to be a next step for me.... gonna attempt more lifting and less jumping around like an overly enthusiastic bunny. LOL thanks for all the links!

Agreed! I feel like it's the next step for me as well. I've pretty much never lifted weights, so I need some 101-type help too!
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Cool! Tabbed.
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump... I needed this