Should I get a George Foreman grill?

Options
Was wondering if this is a good product or not. Comments?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think they are wonderful! A great way to quickly grill foods indoors, since you can cook both sides at once. The thing I don't like about them is they are little messy to clean since they aren't immersible.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've had one for years - was given the big one as a gift , since downsized to smaller they are kind of hard to clean - we cook bacon on ours every sunday
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Takes up a lot of space
    Kind of difficult to clean
    For me - it dries out whatever I'm cooking before it's thoroughly cooked (I don't have temp control)
    It doesn't have temp control, just off/on and a timer (on my model)

You can grill a whole lot if you have a big enough model
    There is a lot of grease in the tray afterwards
    little to no flipping of whatever you're cooking

BTW, if you try making a grilled cheese, it will be very flat, the cover is heavy... lol

I'm not sure if it's a good product or not, from my experiences, but a few tweaks of the one I have, and it would be perfect (I Need temp control!!!)
  • MarleneBorko
    MarleneBorko Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cooking on it is fairly easy, cleanup and storage is a pain. Used to grille swordfish and salmon on it in minutes and it came out great! I may just have to pull it out of the closet now that you mention it!
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    if it's too messy, just use parchment paper!
  • calimoma
    Options
    i love my foreman!! i just have the small one and its perfect for me and my son! cooks up chicken in no time!!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Love mine... I do chicken, fish, burgers, etc. I recommend getting a wider one if you cook for more than yourself. It's a pain in the butt since ours is the standard size... Can only cook a couple pieces at a time. But other than that, LOVE it!
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Love mine but do wish it was easier to clean. I believe you can get one with interchangeable plates that you can put in the dishwasher but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I don't have temp control but have figured out to just shave a couple of minutes off the "standard" cook time. I'll cook a steak for 5-6 minutes and chicken 8-9 minutes depending on thickness.

Look around at thrift stores - people donate these things all the time...
  • sarahlouise7
    sarahlouise7 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love mine too :) Iv got the big style one with a griddle and flat plate with individual temp controls and use it to cook chicken, fish, bacon, peppers, onions, mushrooms and cooks it all perfectly!! Highly recommend it :)
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I agree with others-- good for grilling, pain to store and clean. I like to do steak and salmon on mine.
  • KarenZenaida
    KarenZenaida Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    YES! George Foreman's are awesome! I love mine. I've read above about people complaining they're a pain to clean, but I don't think so. Just heat it up and use the scraper and it actually cleans quite easily in my opinion. I have two George Foreman's, a nice small one that sits on the counter next to the toaster and big one in the cupboard for those bigger meals/more servings needed kinda thing. And the good thing about my bigger one when it comes to cleaning is that the grill is interchange-able, so you can take it out and clean it in the sink just like that.

And it makes me feel a lot better eating my food when I see that grease in the grease tray and not cooked into my food.
  • Shawneb66
    Options
    Get the non-stick reynolds wrap and clean up is EASY!! One of the best appliances I own!!

I also use mine to make sandwiches for my guys! Non-buttered grilled cheese!!
  • gekcsk
    gekcsk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We have one and I love cooking on it, but the clean up is a pain. We just purchased a Cuisinart Griddler series that has the reversible plates...one side grill/panini, the other side the griddle. That is so much easier to clean since the plates come off and you can pop them in the dish washer or wash by hand. If you use the grill/panini side it does the same as the George Foreman . Then you also have a griddle when you flip the plates. 2 for the price of 1 and easier clean up. :drinker:
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Yes! I couldn't live without mine. Quick cooking, easy cleanup..in and out of the kitchen in about 15 mins
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Love mine but do wish it was easier to clean. I believe you can get one with interchangeable plates that you can put in the dishwasher but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I don't have temp control but have figured out to just shave a couple of minutes off the "standard" cook time. I'll cook a steak for 5-6 minutes and chicken 8-9 minutes depending on thickness.

Look around at thrift stores - people donate these things all the time...

I have the removable plates. Just take them off and put them in the dishwasher and the grill fits on the bottom pull out drawer of a cabinet.

love my foreman....
  • ashleyoh33
    ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    if it's too messy, just use parchment paper!

I feel like an idiot for never doing this. DUH! I love using mine for fish, chicken, and turkey burgers!
  • Carachama
    Carachama Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How about a ribbed cast iron pan? It lasts forever, is easy to clean, and doesn't have the nasty stuff that is non-stick coatings.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    i need to get one apparently!
  • TrishB69
    TrishB69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We have two and have used them regularly for the last 8 years.. they are still going strong.
    Chicken, steak, burgers, grilled cheese, all that stuff.
    Love mine. They are great.
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have had one since the original and have gotten new versions over the past bunch of years. We recently switched to the Cuisinart Griddler and we absolutely love it. It's more versatile than the Foreman and has different grill types you can swap out for different things. The grills it comes with are reversible so you can use the grill sides or the griddle sides (or a combo of both).

I was thinking about grabbing the waffle grills for it. It's a nice machine.