No longer fun....

Options

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Brushing your teeth might be boring, does that mean you should stop? Lol.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You could buy more pre-measured, portion-sized things, or measure out things into smaller containers to keep in the freezer or fridge, so you have some items ready for spur-of-the-moment use.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    A couple of options:

1. Stop logging and do your best to guesstimate. Keep track of your weight/measurements and if the trend starts going in a bad way, start logging again.

or

2. Keep logging anyhow. Part of being a grown-up is that we sometimes have to do boring things.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I would think that by now you could safely "eye-ball" it. Remember that calorie-counting in and of itself is not an exact science. There is no way MFP or anything else could ever precisely predict how many calories that your body will need through out the course of the day.

I have been "eye-balling" my food since the very beginning. Every once in awhile I'll measure liquids, but for the most part, I guesstimate weights. It could still work. Of course, if your progress slows down, then you might go back to measuring again for a little while, just to reaquaint yourself with what the appropriate amounts of food looks like.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    First...congrats on the huge loss!
    Second.. do not..i repeat...DO NOT wing it. i tried this for a month or so and found myself gaining. Turns out my passive guesses were not as accurate as i thought. just stick with it, you're almost there!
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else eat out of the measuring cup?

Ha! I do this when I measure peanut butter for a snack. :) I like to have a little bit at night before I go to bed, and I find it's easier to just eat it out of the tablespoon than to scoop it out of the tablespoon with a regular spoon (and dirty another utensil).

I also do this with berries. I put them into the one-cup measuring cup and eat them out of that instead of putting them into a bowl.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i have never weighed my food... just eyeballed it... 1 serving of grains approx the size of your fist, 1 serving of meat approx the size of your palm, and then as many fruits and veggies as wanted always works for me
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You just have to look at it as one of those things in life that just has to be done, whether it's fun or not. Like changing your baby's diaper. Definitely not a fun chore, but it must be done in order to avoid some even more unpleasant side effects. It may be tedious and annoying, but it's a whole lot better than being overweight.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else eat out of the measuring cup?

I have:laugh: Why dirty a bowl too?
  • chickfromsc
    Options
    A couple of options:

1. Stop logging and do your best to guesstimate. Keep track of your weight/measurements and if the trend starts going in a bad way, start logging again.

or

2. Keep logging anyhow. Part of being a grown-up is that we sometimes have to do boring things.

^^^^ THIS! I became bored and stopped ( actually deleted my account) logging in daily...I gained almost 10 pounds of the nearly 35 pounds I had lost back within months. SO- my advise... put your big girl panties on...and JUST DO IT. You worked way to hard to slip back! And trust me....it's very easy!
  • HeatherBriggs1970
    Options
    Senioritis...we get to the end and are just ready for it to be over!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    First...congrats on the huge loss!
    Second.. do not..i repeat...DO NOT wing it. i tried this for a month or so and found myself gaining. Turns out my passive guesses were not as accurate as i thought. just stick with it, you're almost there!

Wait. What do you mean "you're almost there"? Almost where? And when she gets "there", then what do you suggest she do? This isn't a race to reach some arbitrary goal and then you're done...or at least I don't think it is. And if she *does* try winging it, starts gaining, and starts tracking again, she hasn't "failed", she's just had a practice run at the rest of her life. From there, she simply practices a little more by logging consistently and can then try to "wing it" again. Think of it as "life practice".

At least that's how I see it...but I've been accused many times of oversimplifying this whole weight management thing.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    Lots of good advice and encouragement on this topic. All I can add is what I do to make the measuring chore a bit easier. I will exactly measure my food the first couple of times I make a particular meal. Then I'll eye-ball it from then on. I try to stick to a few basic meals that I fix all the time. I'll change it up from time to time, then I'll have to measure stuff. Sometimes, such as when I'm at a non-chain restaurant, I'll have to guess anyway. But I do try to guess.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    A couple of options:

or

WIN
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think I read an article once about the human need, both phsycial and psychological, to take a break from losing weight for a while. Maybe you are at that point where you just need to take a week off, maybe even two, and eat at maintenance or a little above, and just give yourself a rest. Not an excuse to go hog wild, clearly, but eating at maintenance, and if you've been measuring this long, you start to know how much room on your plate half a cup takes up, you can make reasonable estimates for a while. Just my two cents.
  • jaroyan
    jaroyan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Counting your calories is just something you're going to have to live with for the rest of your life, sweetie. For about 90% of your meals, you should have a pretty decent idea of your caloric intake. If your diet is really varied, it's just something you can't ignore. Everything becomes tedious after awhile, but this is not a quick fix, it's how you should be eating in general. When I find myself in a similar situation with calories, I generally "treat" myself to a nice organic Amy's meal or a nice sandwich and soup from somewhere reliable (money and calorie-wise) like Potbelly.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options

It isn't fun to have to diligently exercise and eat healthy.... and it isn't fun to be over weight and unhealthy... Which will you chose?

Love this quote, I'm going to use it. Thanks for sharing!
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Set aside a time when your baby is napping and do all the measuring at once. Portion out your protein, fill up baggies with your snacks so they are pre counted and you dont have to think about it. Do it all at once on a Sunday afternoon and you are set for the week.
    I agree with others as well, we dont do this because it is fun, we do it to be healthy and to get rid of all the junk in our trunk from when we had too much fun with food. ; )

Good luck!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i've taken a break from mfp when i really didn't care. i started caring again, and got back into a good exercise routine about 3 weeks or a month later.

it was around when i lost 30lbs, and idk, just lost focus.

but i came back! =)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    So....You've lost 30 lbs in the last 81 days??? HOLY COW!

Anyways, you might be due for a diet break. Actually I'm certain you are due for a diet break. I felt very bogged down by the whole process when I realized I needed my first one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MoreBean13/view/reflections-on-maintenance-diet-break-427880

Christmas is a great time for one, anyway. I wouldn't stop logging though. According to WIN, keeping track of calories is one of the most important markers for success in maintaining weight loss (the other is exercising). The people who lose considerable weight and keep it off long term track calories, pretty much forever. Of course there's exceptions, and tracking calories doesn't have to mean logging every bite for life, but this site makes it SO easy (and FREE!) I don't know why you'd quit.