Yoga in place of weight lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Yoga and weightlifting are not interchangeable. They can be complimentary.

Yoga, as in the ancient pursuit is a spiritual discipline that can have a physical component. There are types of yoga that have no physical component at all. They look a lot like the Anglo-American tradition of Logic..... or even the ancient Greek Socratic dialogues. The goal of the pursuit is to bring atman and Atman together - I think it literally means "to yoke". This can have (but doesn't need according to some traditions) a physical component. You'll notice the similarity of Yoke to Yoga due to Sanskrit belonging to the Indo-european group of languages.

In the West we've managed to pluck the physical aspect of one type of yoga out of context. I can claim with some confidence that the majority of people who go to a weekly class at their local box gym are not trying to Yoke themselves to Atman........

At the end of the day, if you think they are interchangeable, then you probably have mis-understood both pursuits......
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    @ Jimmmer - Well put - I agree, and a timely reminder thanks.

@ paijing - actually, your physique goes before you. You obviously know what you are talking about, so I stand down :smile: (no sarcasm here - I mean my words)
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Iyengar keeps you in the pose longer. All yoga is good.

4165692744_62b282c4e3_o.jpg

1_sexy_yoga_gallery_16tp971-16tp999.jpg?x=450&q=80&n=1&sig=iGlDJ6s7MBw1Jr.Z.lxRNg--

wpid-sexy-yoga-poses-87-630x419.jpg?w=630

2_sexy_yoga_gallery_16tp97e-16tp999.jpg?x=400&q=80&n=1&sig=SHnpP2OFfeqx0hOmB2HY4w--

OMG ............ YOGA BABES!!

tumblr_lsi8v04LBD1qhi4rjo2_500.gif
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    @ shock_wave :yawn:
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback (and opinions). I have no desire to get even a little bit bulky- I have a feeling that once I've slimmed down, I'm large framed and muscular enough that my tone will look like bulk- but doing planks, down-dogs, etc. really make my muscles shake and feel fatigued, the way they'd feel after I did X-amount of dumbell reps. the only difference is, with yoga, I get less bored.

However, I know I'm not going to get the same effect from doing tree pose that I would from a 250- lb deadlift. I was strictly speaking strength training.
  • PurrfumeGIrl
    PurrfumeGIrl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've done yoga for several years now. I recently changed up my routine to include more cardio. So MWF I do Cardio/Strength Training w/Weights. On TTh I do Yoga. The cardio and strength training are perfect for my weight loss needs and to help define muscle. I'm starting to see definition in muscles that I didn't have with yoga. I need both.