Ever Heard of ZERO Calorie Noodles?

Options

Replies

• MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    There Are calories, but little to no CARBS which is why some of us choose them over pasta, and agree there's probably less artificial stuff in these than many other items we could choose. If you haven't tried them, don't knock them.
  • johncarlfowler
    Options
    I like to put real food into my mouth, not fake laboratory stuff.

Konjac is a traditional Japanese food.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It's one of the worst things I have ever eaten!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    seriously.jpg
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Nope, never heard of it and now, thankfully, I'll know to stay clear of it!
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I have had Shirataki Noodles before - no dice for me. I found the flavor off-putting and that there was no nutritional benefit to me eating them either.

If you are having pasta cravings - try spaghetti squash. Roast one in the oven and shred it. Or else purchase a mandolin and strip down some zucchini and do half and half of that with a whole wheat pasta where you are then getting a nutritional benefit from eating it.

I would rather enjoy the food I put in my mouth than feel like it's something that was just steeping in some funky brew of formaldahyde and it's own bi-products.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

that is correct it's not laboratory stuff
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.

If you want a pasta substitute, use spaghetti squash. Otherwise...just no.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    GACK...like spitting up a hairball!
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    These have been around a while... and they taste like they sat in the bottom of the ocean for a while... They are absolutely disgusting. Smell, taste, texture... it's like eating rotten silk worms.

For the love of all that is good and right in the world, why can't we just leave pasta alone.... Mmmmm...real pasta... <drools>
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Another swap you could try for pasta is broccoli slaw. Steam it in the microwave (or steamer) until it is good and tender and drain very well. I love it and since I am not good with controlling my pasta intake either, this works great for me. It's also much easier prep than the tofu noodles.

:smile:

^^ I love this suggestion! Never thought of that, thanks!
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

that is correct it's not laboratory stuff

Nothing wrong with Konjac -- it's delicious in the right preparations, like Sophie's Kitchen Vegan Seafood.
    HOWEVER, in these 'noodles' (an insult to real pasta) they taste like a science experiment in the creation of artificial intestines. They are an abomination to the food world and I wish people would stop promoting them... yuck
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Yep. 97% water, plus yam flour. They are called Shirataki.

I eat normal food most of the time, but if i feel one of those endless munchies coming on, i bust out a couple bags of those noodles, rinse them of their stinky juice, pan fry them to help the texture and make them completely tasteless, then add a TON of garlic, and some sesame oil, and a couple veggies....

Then i can.... listen to pink floyd, and watch Adult Swim, a LOT, and not ruin my diet from the after effects.

They have absolutely no nutritional value. but thats not why i eat them. If i lose control, they make it so i dont ruin everything and have to work it off for a week. Their not having any food value is the point, because by that time of day, my diary is closed for good.
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh must try. Does it take the flavor of anything you cook it with? Like..tofu?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

This times a miggity miggity million. Why are people always trying to dodge a few calories?

Note: I'm sitting at McDonalds sipping a diet coke as I type this.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

This times a miggity miggity million. Why are people always trying to dodge a few calories?

Note: I'm sitting at McDonalds sipping a diet coke as I type this.

Enjoy your cancer and early death.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If something has zero calories, then it isn't really a food, is it?
  • anna32aries
    anna32aries Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I ordered a 12 or 24 lot, just because I had a store credit from a website, so I chanced it. I made mac and cheese with these and I could not get past the texture, I threw my dinner out. Now I have this box of Miracle Noodles sitting on top of my fridge… I think I’ll give it one more chance and put these in stir fry and mask it with as much stuff as I can…but I’m still building up to actually doing this. I love spaghetti squash so I’ll stick to that.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    They're zero calorie because they're essentially soluble fiber. They're made with konjac root. They smell the way they do because the raw konjac root flour has a fishy smell.

Why I never agree with the practice of stuffing more of a low calorie substitiute into your face so you can gorge on quantity of food, I wouldn't dismiss it as a non-food because it's not a part of your culture. It's been around for a while.

I remember eating it at a Japanese friend's house in school. They ate it not because it was low calorie, but because they enjoyed it. The low cal/low carb thing is a side 'benefit' for those who put themselves on restricted diets.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I bought some once. They weren't too bad. First I seasoned a steak with soy sauce and sesame oil. Then I pan seared said steak. Then I poured a little peanut oil in the pan after removing the steak and threw the "noodles" in the pan and fried them. Then I put some chopped green onions and a little more sesame oil and threw in some broccoli. It added a little more "something" to just steak and broccoli. I haven't seen the need to try them again.