injury to lower back

Options
Has anyone ever had an injury to their lower back and been able to get back to where they were able to work out regularly? I have had several health issues this year- have had to have surgery on both of my feet. In between doing this found out that I had some Degenerative Discs in my lower back. One doctor told me that they were bulging around L3 to S1 When I saw the orthopedic that specilizes in the spine- he said they weren't actually bulging- it was more degenertive disc. I had aggravated them. He offered physical therapy- when I can get back to being weight bearing on my foot. I've looked on the internet and have been doing some stretching exercises, etc. Some days I feel better and other days it hurts more- I think I have been putting more stress to this area due to not being able to walk on both feet. I am just down right now, because I feel like I won't ever get better. I always heard that turning 40 did it, but 39 has kicked my butt :tongue: Guess I am just hoping to hear that there is hope.

Replies

• TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease brought on by a really bad truck accident and I'm currently able to due Insanity by Beach body and do other workouts. It took time and patience. A few months ago I could bend the wrong way and be unable to really walk for a week and sometimes two. Physical therapy will help and so will stretching the right way every day. After a workout now I put a heating pad on my back for a little while just in case. I can usually tell a day or so before the discs get super inflamed so from those warning signs I'll know to take it easy. But since learning proper stretches for my back I haven't had an issues in months.
    I have also leaned to stay moving when the discs are irritated instead of just sitting or laying around because then my back would get stiff and then it would hurt worse. It sucks you can't walk on both feet. You can also try swimming when the discs are irritated and then rest in a hot tub if they are available
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disk disease, a bulging L4 and L5 and a chronically strained SI joint. It totally went out on me this summer.Most of the pain was in the SI joint. The key is not to push too hard and gradually increase on your hip flexor stretches and exercises. I was able to ride my bike as that didn't seem to bother it, and that's all i did for about a month. I'm back to doing P90X, and I'm doing plyo and finishing all of the workouts, really focusing on the core. There's a slight ache in the SI joint, but it's really minor and doesn't get worse. The doc said he'll inject it if it flares up again.

You'll be back in action in no time....I'm 52.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    become iron man... http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/12/08/iron-man/

What Would Iron Man Do?

Iron-Man-Closeup-590x393.jpg

“I am Iron Man.“

I have to admit, I never felt like I could truly relate to the character of Tony Stark (Iron Man).

I feel a close connection with Captain America, and at times I’ve felt like a member of the X-men due to often feeling like the “only one” and being weird in my exercise and diet habits. Finding similarities with a brilliant billionaire playboy who gets kidnapped, builds an arc-reactor in his chest to survive, and then uses said technology to build a super power a full suit to save the world just never clicked with me.

Welp, after my first trip to the doctor in years, it turns out I have WAY more in common with Iron Man than I ever would have imagined.

Broken

steve-spine-close-up-590x359.jpg

The week of November 25th won’t be remembered as my favorite week ever:

Wednesday morning: I interview one of my heroes, Tim Ferriss, and publicly commit to rigorous training sessions three to four times per week of Capoeira before heading to Brazil for Carnival in February.

Thursday: I attend my first Capoeira class here in Nashville – I get through the handstands, cartwheels, and gingas, surviving the 90-minute class excited and energized…but quite sore in my lower back (something that has bothered me for years). I ask the teacher to personally train me three times per week and he agrees.

Friday: I decide that now I have an actual home base, I should probably take care of myself. I go to a doctor to finally figure out why my lower back has been hurting me for so long. After a series of questions, some stretching and range of motion tests, I get x-rays taken. The following conversation takes place:

Doc: Hey, so here are your x-rays. Um, have you ever had a serious fall in the past? Like, 10 years ago or so?
    Me: Hmmm, nothing that I can remember? I’ve had back problems for years, but I just kind of dealt with it.
    Doc: Well, let’s take a look at your x-ray here (see photo above). Look at your L5 Vertebrae – it’s supposed to line up with the rest of them…it’s off by quite a bit.
    Me: Wait, that’s supposed to line up with the rest of them? Ruh roh…
    Over the course of the next hour, I’m told I may never deadlift or squat again, and for the time being I definitely need to avoid any lower back-strenuous activities…like capoeira.

I’m not going to lie…for a guy that runs a fitness website, lives for strength training, loves picking up heavy things, and enjoys finding new physical activities that put a tremendous amount of strain on my body, this felt like a sucker punch to the gut.

For once, I’m in a situation that can’t be fixed with just clean eating and strength training. I drove home in a serious funk, feeling like my life was just diverted down a completely different path.

Then the nerd gods intervened.

I walked in my apartment, threw my keys onto the counter, and plopped down on the couch completely depressed. I turned on my TV, and guess what movie had just started five minutes earlier and happened to be on the channel I had watched the night before?

Freaking Iron Man.

Stop the shrapnel

arc-reactor-590x331.jpg

Tony Stark woke up in a terrorist prison cell with an arc reactor protruding from his chest. It turns out, this arc reactor is the only thing keeping the shrapnel embedded in his body from piercing his heart.

Overnight, Tony had been transformed from healthy, wealthy, and wise to a sideshow freak at risk for instantaneous death every minute of every day. After the initial shock wears off, Tony doesn’t sit around and sulk. Hell no. He sucks it up, accepts the fact that he can’t go on living the same way, and starts making changes immediately. It turns out, this drastic and gruesome injury is crucial to Tony’s development as a character.

He needs this massive step back before he can take steps toward becoming a true superhero.

If you’ve had an injury or ailment, recent or chronic, you probably had an initial moment of negativity too. However, no matter how bad it may seem, you still woke up today…which is a pretty damn good start, right?

Instead of getting bummed out that my back is messed up, I’ve instead decided that I’m very lucky that I made the discovery now rather than ignoring the pain for another decade and causing even more serious damage down the road.

If you have a physical ailment, get it looked at. Whether it’s a knee problem, shoulder problem, or lower back problem, you need to find out if you have any “shrapnel pointed at your heart.” You can’t begin building your suit and becoming a superhero until you uncover the challenges you need to overcome.

Once you’ve received your diagnosis you have two options:

OPTION ONE: Complain and use the diagnosis as an excuse for inaction. “Sorry, I can’t exercise, I have a bad knee/back/genetics/whatever. Now, hand me the remote and that pint of ice cream. Damn my poor luck!” Unfortunately, life isn’t fair. Some people get to play life on Easy Mode, while others have to play on Legendary Difficulty. That’s just how it works.

OPTION TWO – Become Iron Man: Identify your shrapnel – get x-rays, a check-up, or whatever you need to identify the source of your ailment. Then, accept that you’ll need to make some changes moving forward if you’re going to rise and become Iron Man. You’re going to realize that through some tinkering you can build a stronger self.

Start building your own Iron Man suit today.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question about your lower back issue. I hurt mine after a stumble (not even a fall) on an unpaved jogging trail. Apparently L5 got completely tweaked and it still isn't right and now it's pulling my left hip out - the injury happened almost two months ago. I've been working like a madwoman and moving residences...the perfect storm. Perfectly crappy. No time to address the injury...

I'll be checking back to see others' answers.

Rock on to all y'all and stay strong!
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My best friend has a degenerating disk in her back and has been seeing a chiropractor to help her. She was unable to run and now she is back to being able to do some running. She has been advised never to run marathons, but other than that she is good to go. She still sees the chiro for maintanence, but it really seemed to help her.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease brought on by a really bad truck accident and I'm currently able to due Insanity by Beach body and do other workouts. It took time and patience. A few months ago I could bend the wrong way and be unable to really walk for a week and sometimes two. Physical therapy will help and so will stretching the right way every day. After a workout now I put a heating pad on my back for a little while just in case. I can usually tell a day or so before the discs get super inflamed so from those warning signs I'll know to take it easy. But since learning proper stretches for my back I haven't had an issues in months.
    I have also leaned to stay moving when the discs are irritated instead of just sitting or laying around because then my back would get stiff and then it would hurt worse. It sucks you can't walk on both feet. You can also try swimming when the discs are irritated and then rest in a hot tub if they are available

This.. I have the same issues and I just have to be super careful with how I move and take care of myself.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Me too degenerative disk disease - was in agony for 6 months 24 x 7 7 years ago, I did the steriod shots as a last resort to help the inflamation , and it worked.

I was told to stretch and to strengthen my core muscles which would support my Spine - so I joined a Gym and slowly got in to shape had to take it slow but I will tell you it has made a huge difference. Before I joined MFP I had gained some weight due to health issues and I could feel the pain returning. So I started riding my bike and then went on to running. (which acutally doesn't bother my back)

I run just started heaving lifting with a trainer. The only thing I can tell you is I started Tapout XT and some of the Plyo stuff made my back hurt, my trainer said make sure I engage my abs and glutes to keep the strain off the back.

Good luck
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    At 17 I had a slipped disc at 19 I had another slipped disc then I progressed until I was well over weight I carried on until I was obese. I struggled with back pain and sciatica all the time.

I lost weight and now am in a healthy lower bmi. I have maintained the weight for around 6 months and have not suffered any pains since.

So my advice is eat healthy, try to walk as much as you can (that is what helped me) get to a good weight and hopefully you will be back on track x
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options

^ This. I was going to reference the same thing.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Herniated all five lumbar discs twenty years ago and I feel you pain and perhaps a bit more...
    Activities that definitely help:
    1. Swim the weightless condition allows the spine to realign and takes pressure off. It burns calories very well.
    2. Circuit training. Weight lifting with a controlled mass (I like Total Gym) is really good for rebuilding and keeping muscle mass around the injured area so that the muscles can carry the weight instead of getting additional compression.
    3. Yoga and Tai Chi. Gentle stretching allows you to find the limits of your body under a controlled exercise and can help prevent aggravation of the back during normal activities because you have explored your limits and know not to push past certain points.
    Treatments that help:
    1. Lose weight.
    2. Ibuprofen - inflamation is the enemy...
    3. Glucosamine - helps to rebuild the joints including the discs of the back... Most orthopedists recommend...
    4. Accupuncture helps ease the pain when other pain remedies fail... Good way to get off the pain killers and adverse side effects.
  • marmar2903
    marmar2903 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. I really needed to hear this today. I don't mind doing whatever it takes to straighten my back out. I think that I got discouraged today- I would feel so much better and think I am healing- then all of a sudden can't hardly drive my car or sit at my desk. I twisted wrong the first of October and haven't been right since. It is something that I will have to learn to deal with- like ya'll have. Enjoyed the iron man info- may take a while, but I know that I can get there. Hopefully should be able to start PT on my foot next week and I am going to talk with the doctor about working with him on my back also. Want to make sure that I am going in the right direction. Thanks again.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    raises hand
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    "For once, I’m in a situation that can’t be fixed with just clean eating and strength training. I drove home in a serious funk, feeling like my life was just diverted down a completely different path."

OH WOW! Can I ever relate! Have tendonitis in my upper hamstrings & can't sit or walk let alone go to the gym. Getting pudgy & sad.... PT & chir\opractic start tomorrow. I cannot allow this to ruin everything I have been working for.

Feel Better, Everyone! :heart:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I just posted a similar thread the other night....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816562-feedback-needed-heavy-lifting-after-back-surgery

L4 L5 laminectomy discectomy in 2002.

I run a few miles a day, take Group Power, Jazzercise, and right now use light-ish weights to work out... I've had one knee issue and an Achilles tendon issue but no back pain or problems since working out again.

Let me know if you have questions!