Should I be losing weight if I'm running?

Options
I've started jogging to work about 4 times a week and sometimes on the way home to work as well at a light to moderate pace, it takes me just over 30 mins. I've been watching what I eat most days but I do binge occasionally, maybe 2 - 3 days a week.

Should I be losing weight from running? I haven't gotten weighed yet but I know by how my clothes feel that I haven't, they're feeling tight.

Replies

• havenxx
    Options
    I've started jogging to work about 4 times a week and sometimes on the way home to work as well at a light to moderate pace. I've been watching what I eat most days but I do binge occasionally, maybe 2 - 3 days a week.

Should I be losing weight from running? I haven't gotten weighed yet but I know by how my clothes feel that I haven't, they're feeling tight.
    Yes you should but binging is not helpin you lose weight. Don't binge and I'm sure you'll see slight results in a week and a half or two.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If you have a calorie deficit in your diet, sure.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    You don't lose weight because you run. You lose weight because you maintain a calorie deficit consistently. Running will help you lose weight faster by increasing the amount of calories you eat in a day but the truth is it doesn't matter what you're doing. If you burn more than you consume, you will lose weight. There are many great benefits to running but you can't outrun a calorie surplus. If you want to lose weight, it's mostly diet.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I've started jogging to work about 4 times a week and sometimes on the way home to work as well at a light to moderate pace. I've been watching what I eat most days but I do binge occasionally, maybe 2 - 3 days a week.

I've been watching what I eat most days but I do binge occasionally, maybe 2 - 3 days a week.

I've been watching what I eat most days but I do binge occasionally, maybe 2 - 3 days a week.

Should I be losing weight from running?
    I do binge 2 - 3 days a week.
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If your not eating properly then no. weight loss starts in the kitchen and those 2 or 3 days bingeing and stuff is killing what your burning while running. you need to change your diet.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Binging 2-3 days a week is not what I would call occasional. That's just how you eat apparently. Do you track calories on binge days? I don't know any personal information about you, or how far you are running, but "jogging at a light to moderate pace" is not a significant calorie burner.

If you are, as you say, binging, which I take to mean over-eating, then you would not be losing weight. I run a lot and fast and have to eat more in order to not lose weight, but I am running 20 miles a week at 8-9 minute miles typically.

My advice would be to use this website to actually track for a few weeks. Weigh yourself, determine how much you want to lose starting now, then track all calories, even on binge days, and track exercise calories burned. If you can get a heart rate monitor, get one.

You will never see a fat marathon runner, but keep in mind that they are running at least 25 and usually up to 40 miles a week when in training. They can eat whatever they want.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'd start with tracking your calories while you binge. It will help you see how much you are eating during those binges, and hopefully lower it a little bit. If you're binging 2-3 days you are going to have a hard time losing weight, cut that down to 1 cheat day a week to start with and you should start seeing some results.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Depends how far you are running (and how many calories you are burning) and exactly what "watching" what you eat and "occasional binge" means. You lose weight if you consume more calories than you use. If you are if the belief that running a couple of miles equates to a super-sized big Mac value meal, then you are most certainly not going to be losing weight "from" running. Log your food (including the "occasional" binge), log your miles and you'll have the answer as to whether or not you "should" be losing weight.
  • meeshurwin
    meeshurwin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try to think of good diet to lose weight and exercise to improve health. Pointless having a massive gym session just to eat your calories later. You may as well sit on the sofa with a salad.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    No. You should be losing weight if you are at a calorie deficit and running doesn't necessarily do that for you.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I've started jogging to work about 4 times a week and sometimes on the way home to work as well at a light to moderate pace, it takes me just over 30 mins. I've been watching what I eat most days but I do binge occasionally, maybe 2 - 3 days a week.

If you're eating less than you are burning, yes. However, we need a lot more information to know whether you, personally, should be losing weight.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I love running... great calorie burner
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    No, you should be losing weight from eating at a calorie deficit. Exercise does not necessarily help you lose "more" weight. So if you're just running and still eating at a calorie level that allows you to maintain (or not gain), no, you shouldn't be losing weight.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I run 6-7 miles a day. Running burns calories, but if you eat more because you are burning more calories and are hungrier, then you could just be breaking even or even gain wt..Running does help improve your heart muscle and get you fit. Also your leg muscles will improve, look better, and you will feel better.
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Can you look at my diary too? I log religiously every day, even when I binge
  • FreeToGoodHome
    Options
    Binge on low calorie food(less often), jog to and from work like your doing, and pick it up a notch when your not working...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    running is a great calorie burner, but if you're still consuming more than you're burning or consuming at a maintenance level, then you will not lose weight. You need a caloric deficit to lose weight.

Do you keep a food diary? If you don't, you should...when I started (manual journal) I hadn't made any dietary changes whatsoever and thought I ate pretty good and healthy...I was shocked when I started logging everything in...I was eating in the neighborhod of 2,600 calories per day.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

*ends thread*
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Simple math, eat more than you burn and you'll gain. I've put on weight while running 50+ miles per week (by eating 60 miles a week of food).

You also have to be realistic about you are really burning. I burn ~ 125 per mile (and I weigh ~ 175 or so). So a few miles of running does not give us a license to eat whatever we want.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

*ends thread*

Thirded.