Every time I run it hurts my knees.

I do stretch before I run. I run on my treadmill at no incline, but every time I'm finished running, my knees start to hurt every time I take a step. I don't know if how fast I'm running has to do with it, but I run 1 mile at 6 mph. Anyone know why I'm having this problem?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    I have this same problem :sad:

I fixed it by not running
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Without seeing a doctor?

Slow down..
  • I have this same problem :sad:

Well I'm not going to stop, lol
    I'm trying to get ready for my first run in January, it's 4 miles.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Might be overdoing it with the pace..knock the pace back by a half mile and see what happens.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    I'd take it slow, and build speed and distance only after you can do your runs w/o pain. I ended up with (the drs think) tendonitis in my knee from doing too much too fast (ran two half marathons w/in a month of each other after only training a few months). it was TERRIBLE and its taking forever to heal from and build my miles back up. pushing yourself is not worth the risk of injury that can last months or longer. So take it slow, maybe try a C25K program thats how i started running a couple of years ago and it really eases you into things and you see progress really quick.

good luck!
  • You should never use a treadmill at 0 incline, it is not natural and bad for the legs. Always have the treadmills incline set to 1.0
    This applies to everything and everyone. Walking, jogging or running.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Please post your age, weight, normal fitness activities, and all medical records. That way, we have a little more information to go on.

But...without all the above information, I would say, lay off for a bit, take it easy and/or slow down, then work back up to your regular speed. AND..go see a doctor.
  • You should never use a treadmill at 0 incline, it is not natural and bad for the legs. Always have the treadmills incline set to 1.0
    I didn't know that, thanks!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Running is a high impact exercise, and if you have it at a zero incline, you're just leaving yourself to repeatedly pound your feet against a flat surface. Increasing the incline should create a bit more give. Like it or not, you may have already done enough damage to have to stop.
  • Lincolnlady217
    Lincolnlady217 Posts: 49 Member
    You need to see your doctor and get his advice. You could be doing permanent damage to your knees without knowing it. Then you will have to stop running and go to rehab therapy :(. Don't injure yourself by being stubborn, your body is trying to tell you something, you should listen! ;)
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    I've wanted to run for the past year, since joining the gym. It just doesn't work with my knees. My mother, her brother & father and my brother all need (or have had) knee replacement surgeries. Mostly due to jogging on pavement or aerobics on cement. We're just genetically S.O.L. to be joggers.

If you're training for a 4m run in January and can only do 1m at this point, you may not be ready anyhow.

Slow down the pace, up the incline like someone said, and take it easy! Pain with every step is your body's way of telling you to stop. What kind of runners do you wear? Get fitted for GOOD running shoes, at a running store.

Stop or at least slow down, before you ruin your knees for good. You need them to walk the rest of your life. Not trying to be snarky, just stating the truth (as much as we all hate to hear it sometimes, myself included).
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    What part of your knee hurts? Does it go away after a mile or so, or get worse? Do you do ITB stretches? Have you been professionally fitted for proper shoes?

No matter the answer, don't run through knee pain. It means something is wrong and you need to figure out what before causing more damage.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    stretch, ice, rest, elevate, compress, refuel, hydrate, run slower, take a break! :)
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    You should never use a treadmill at 0 incline, it is not natural and bad for the legs. Always have the treadmills incline set to 1.0

really? why's that?
  • I've wanted to run for the past year, since joining the gym. It just doesn't work with my knees. My mother, her brother & father and my brother all need (or have had) knee replacement surgeries. Mostly due to jogging on pavement or aerobics on cement. We're just genetically S.O.L. to be joggers.

If you're training for a 4m run in January and can only do 1m at this point, you may not be ready anyhow.

Slow down the pace, up the incline like someone said, and take it easy! Pain with every step is your body's way of telling you to stop. What kind of runners do you wear? Get fitted for GOOD running shoes, at a running store.

Stop or at least slow down, before you ruin your knees for good. You need them to walk the rest of your life. Not trying to be snarky, just stating the truth (as much as we all hate to hear it sometimes, myself included).
    Hopefully I haven't done too much damage. I don't think it's genetic because my moms a really good runner. I wear Nike's. They're called Relentless 2. Thank you!
  • What part of your knee hurts? Does it go away after a mile or so, or get worse? Do you do ITB stretches? Have you been professionally fitted for proper shoes?

No matter the answer, don't run through knee pain. It means something is wrong and you need to figure out what before causing more damage.
    I'm really not sure what part hurts, maybe my kneecaps? And usually it hurts right after but then i go lay down and they feel better when I get up. No I do not do ITB stretches. No I haven't been professionally fitted.
    My knees don't hurt while I'm running, it's when I get off the treadmill.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Do ITB stretches for sure!
    Also, if something hurts don't to it.

and read Born to Run... just because its awesome, and as a runner I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
  • TeaberryDawn
    TeaberryDawn Posts: 30 Member
    I agree with the advice to slow down your pace and up the incline on your treadmill. I always jog at a 2.0 or 2.5 incline. I'm doing a Couch to 5K training program and only jog at 3.0 mph; working for me and I'm loving it. I have knee pain also, but that it because I am OBESE and need to lose weight, lol. I have a family history of osteoarthritis, but I'm tired of being afraid to run. I know my weight has more detrimental effects on my WHOLE body than a little bit of jogging does on my knees.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your run in January! I'm planning on doing a 5K after the new year and also an American Lung "Fight for Air" climb at our local college football stadium in March 2013 :flowerforyou:
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    First, don't listen to anyone who says you can't or shouldn't run or that you may have done damage. Crazy talk.

Second, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

ANYONE can run.

Third, I agree with putting treadmill at incline. Even 0.5 or 1% will help, plus it will make it easier to transitioning to outside.

Fourth, no need to stretch anything before running, just warm up. Jumping jacks, walking, elliptical, whatever doesn't hurt your knees and gets your muscles warm. At least 5, preferably 10 minutes before you start walking. Stretching is for after. Google "static vs. dynamic stretching".

Last, if your knees hurt and you are young (profile pic looks young :) ) Then you probably need to strengthen your quads so that they support your knees better. That's how I got back into running after 15 year break due to knee pain and believing people who said I shouldn't run. Biking helps as do squats and some leg press, weight routines. Google "exercises to build quad strength". Biking is what worked for me. Not just happy little spins around my neighborhood, lots of spin classes plus training for a 180 mile bike ride.

I just finished my second half-marathon and my first full is in 5 weeks. I just started running again 14 months ago... Feel free to friend me if you want more running friends!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

You should listen to him, he's a dr
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    First, don't listen to anyone who says you can't or shouldn't run or that you may have done damage. Crazy talk.

Second, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

ANYONE can run.

Third, I agree with putting treadmill at incline. Even 0.5 or 1% will help, plus it will make it easier to transitioning to outside.

Fourth, no need to stretch anything before running, just warm up. Jumping jacks, walking, elliptical, whatever doesn't hurt your knees and gets your muscles warm. At least 5, preferably 10 minutes before you start walking. Stretching is for after. Google "static vs. dynamic stretching".

Last, if your knees hurt and you are young (profile pic looks young :) ) Then you probably need to strengthen your quads so that they support your knees better. That's how I got back into running after 15 year break due to knee pain and believing people who said I shouldn't run. Biking helps as do squats and some leg press, weight routines. Google "exercises to build quad strength". Biking is what worked for me. Not just happy little spins around my neighborhood, lots of spin classes plus training for a 180 mile bike ride.

I just finished my second half-marathon and my first full is in 5 weeks. I just started running again 14 months ago... Feel free to friend me if you want more running friends!

^This^ another runner (4 marathons), cyclist (century rides), and duathloner (international and half-ironman distances) here.
  • MoreBean13

Are you serious? You think the possibility of damage is crazy talk? With nonspecific knee pain on a young girl? Irresponsible.

/smh

really? why's that?

Dont remember the reason, I just remember the advice but im studying Instructing Exercise and Fitness in college and its what all the tutors tell us to tell the clients. Never have treadmills below 1.0 gradient. Ive heard from other instructors that it doesnt make much difference, but the advice from an instructors instructor.. is there :)
  • elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member

Pain is usually an indicator that something is wrong. Ignore it and knee replacements just may be in your future. I know that's hard to grasp at 18. lol
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member

Are you serious? You think the possibility of damage is crazy talk? With nonspecific knee pain on a young girl? Irresponsible.

/smh

Amen. I thought my pain could be "worked through" and was due to weak muscles. Turns out I needed surgery and I may or may not ever get full function back again. Pain means something is wrong-and physicians that examine you are exceptionally qualified at determining the cause and appropriate treatment. See a doctor-before you start screwing with the incline or anything else. Missing a 4-mile run beats needing a knee replacement at age 20.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member

/smh

While I don't agree that already having done damage is crazy talk, I would also say that assuming she has damage done that may keep her from running forever is crazy talk.....We all have aches and pains, if you think it's worth going to the doctor, then go
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member

You should listen to him, he's a dr

This ^^^. First time I took up running, I listened to my body and it went fine.

Second time, I did it training for a charity run, didn't listen to my body, ran on pain, worried more about the deadlines than myself. Damaged my illiotibial band and hip. Had a lot of pain for a long time.

Third time I tried to take up running, ran into ITB problems within a few weeks. Now it interferes with using a cross trainer or a stationery cycle at the gym. My doctor has told me to forget about ever taking up running as a regular form of exercise again. I have to do daily exercises 4 times a day that the physio has recommended for me.

Listen to your body. Find out what is wrong and take action to put it right, if that is possible. Let that take as long as it takes. In the meantime, stop running.

Oh and yesterday, I had to put it down on my health cover form as a pre-existing condition, so if I need a hip replacement that side when I am older, it might not be covered.

This has serious long term consequences for your mobility, your health and everything else in your life.
  • MoreBean13

/smh

While I don't agree that already having done damage is crazy talk, I would also say that assuming she has damage done that may keep her from running forever is crazy talk.....We all have aches and pains, if you think it's worth going to the doctor, then go

I don't think anyone did suggest that she has done damage that will keep her from running forever? If I missed that post I apologize. The proper thing to do is figure out WHY she is having pain and not to just run through it, which has the potential of causing damage. There may be innocuous reasons for the pain, but there's serious risk in assuming that it's innocuous. Joint damage is not worth messing with.