Headed for Italy

Options
ZebraHead
ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
Hi,

Going to Italy in June - Looking for meal Ideas containing "Good Foods" to eat around Italy that don't break a 1220 calorie day? Trying to stay away from grains too.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I laughed when I read you're trying to stay away from grains in Italy. I would say don't worry so much about the calories as much as just focus on eating good foods. If you have the option to do this, visit one of their farmers markets and load up on fish (great protein and other nutrients to keep you full and make you feel great) and veggies. If you're eating in restaurants, there are plenty of vegetable-based entrees you could choose from. :happy: Have a wonderful time in my homeland!!

PS - another thing to think about...if you're doing touristy things, you'll be walking a lot, burning calories, so you may not have to worry about it so much.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: Make you own breakfast and lunches by visiting local grocers and buying ingredients yourself. You'll be in direct control of your food that way and get to see "every day" Italy on top of that.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this......

YOUR GOING TO ITALY!!!!!!

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!

:tongue:

Seriously, I think that it is great that you want to be mindful of what you are eating, but I am also assuming that you don't get to visit the "boot" very often. If I am right, I would suggest that you just go and have fun. Im not saying that you go and eat a big plate of junk for every meal but you will have some oportunities to have some amazing food that you won't find anywhere else.

It is just my opinion.....

:flowerforyou:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this......
    YOUR GOING TO ITALY!!!!!!
    WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!
    :tongue:
    [snipped]
    :flowerforyou:

LOL!!! This is true enough - But I don't want to be a sob story when I get back because I totally blew my program while I was over there.

P.S and it is a tourist thing, too many days of exploring several key cities, on foot I'm sure. It's once in a life time trip for me I guess, so I could turn some of those 'walking' calories into some extra nice food, I never thought of that. Thanks...
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i walked ALL day when i was in italy (roma) from 9 in the morning til late at night....i enjoyed my pizzas, pastas etc... without regret, and didn't gain at all....walking 10 hours a day will do that to ya lol
  • suprjewels
    suprjewels Posts: 507
    Options
    I lived in Italy for a bit over 2 years. Their pizza is much thinner than our and is loaded with healthy stuff. I loved the no sauce with basil and tomatoes. It was awesome and you can buy it in the grocery store and bake at home. It's not frozen so fresh and yummo! You will walk it all off there's not much room to park anywhere around there. So don't stress! And for a treat I must reccomend their Gelato! It is amazing and none of our "gelato" that we try to copy stateside compares. You can get seafood there for a much better price than here. Lower on calories too so eat up, enjoy the sights and remember you are walking away the yumminess! :)
  • HavFun2
    HavFun2 Posts: 6
    Options
    I also lived in Italy for a awile. A lot of the portions are much more tame that here in the United States. That alone will help keep off all the extra calories! They also serve alot of meat and cheese platters that do not contain grains.