Multi Vitamin
    fish oil
    glucosamine chondroitin
    CLA - depends on your body
    Milk Thistle
    Hawthorne berry

Do you lift?
    Pre-workout - mp assault or jack3d

From that list this is what I would buy first if were going more for necessity:
    Multi Vitamin
    Fish Oil
    Protein
    Glucosamine and Chondroitin

The rest are fine too although with the milk thistle, you could just use a cleansing formula that contains milk thistle as that is what it is for. If money is an issue I wuld stick with the 4 I mentioned before obtaining the rest.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out which ones will be most helpful to me at this point in time. I have been to a nutritionist but the amount of supplements(and money to get them) was slightly overwhelming and I tend to forget about them. I am wanting to keep better control on what and when I eat, I tend to graze. Every one is different on what the need as supplements and vitamins but any ideas to help would be appreciated.

Multivitamin and a healthy diet

This will do for sure!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    What does fish oil aid you with?
    Short answer: the brain is a ball of fat with neurons in a fat sheath protector... it must be replenished... Hormones are also constructed from fats. Omega 3 is the cleanest source of fatty acid and is easily and well used by the body for these processes.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out which ones will be most helpful to me at this point in time. I have been to a nutritionist but the amount of supplements(and money to get them) was slightly overwhelming and I tend to forget about them. I am wanting to keep better control on what and when I eat, I tend to graze. Every one is different on what the need as supplements and vitamins but any ideas to help would be appreciated.

Any supplement regime should be individualised, to take account of what you don't get in your diet, any health issues you have or any additional demands on your body such as intense exercise. You don't need vitamins or minerals unless you have a deficiency or a poor diet, you can all you need and more from the full rainbow of fruit, vegetables, oily fish, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds. Do you eat all those regularly?

Having said that high strength fish oil is the one supplement I routinely recommend to my nutrition clients, few eat enough oily fish and long chain omega-3s play a role in every cell, organ and process in the body. Frankly I wouldn't trust any 'nutritionist' who recommends long lists of supplements, did they actually have a degree in dietetics or nutrition? What did they recommend?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

BCAA
    Isolate protein
    Multi Vitamin
    fish oil
    glucosamine chondroitin
    Milk Thistle
    Hawthorne berry

Do you lift?

Whey and fish oil are the only useful stuff on that list.
    CLA doesn't work.
    JAck3d is garbage
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I take:

- Multivitamin (since I KNOW that I'm not getting enough of everything through food)
    - Vitamin C (only in winter because it helps me from catching every cold that everybody else gets)
    - Vitex and Saw Palmetto (For my PCOS)
    - MSM (started taking for hair but found it helped my creaky joints...I'm young but my joints make me sound like I'm 80 and MSM REALLY helped with that)
    - Vitamin D (only in winter again since where I live we get little sunlight all winter and I find I get more depressed during winter)
    - Omega 3s (helps my skin a lot...when I ran out once and didn't buy more right away my skin went NUTS; also I take just Omega 3s instead of 369s since during my research I read that it's common to get more Omega 6s and 9s than 3s so most people only needs the 3s)
    - B complex (majorly helps my energy; forgot to put these in my week vitamin organizer and that week I felt like the walking dead...seriously...I didn't realize how huge of a difference the vitamin b's helped my energy)

Of course these I know work for myself. It's not something I'd suggest to other people (unless they're in the same situation as me). Which supplements help you may be different. I have a reason for each of the ones I take and I have noticed a difference with all of them.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

BCAA
    Isolate protein
    Multi Vitamin
    fish oil
    glucosamine chondroitin
    Milk Thistle
    Hawthorne berry

Do you lift?

CLA doesn't work.
    JAck3d is garbage

Sorry, but did you knock off BCAAs?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

to figure out which ones will be most helpful to me at this point in time. I have been to a nutritionist but the amount of supplements(and money to get them) was slightly overwhelming and I tend to forget about them. I am wanting to keep better control on what and when I eat, I tend to graze. Every one is different on what the need as supplements and vitamins but any ideas to help would be appreciated.

BCAA
    Isolate protein
    Multi Vitamin
    fish oil
    glucosamine chondroitin
    Milk Thistle
    Hawthorne berry

Do you lift?
    [/quote]

CLA doesn't work.
    JAck3d is garbage
    [/quote]

This, and sack your nutritionist. http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/7 has all the info you need. If you check out table 3, you'll see most of the stuff people are telling you to take here appear on the ineffective list.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Gingko Biloba (I can't remember how to spell it)

doesn't that mean it's not working? :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

BCAA
    Isolate protein
    Multi Vitamin
    fish oil
    glucosamine chondroitin
    Milk Thistle
    Hawthorne berry

Do you lift?

CLA doesn't work.
    JAck3d is garbage
    I concur.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

BCAA
    Isolate protein
    Multi Vitamin
    fish oil
    glucosamine chondroitin
    Milk Thistle
    Hawthorne berry

Do you lift?

CLA doesn't work.
    JAck3d is garbage
    I concur.

Agree^

There is really no need for "fast" absorbing protein so I would not spend the extra for whey isolate.

You get enough BCAA's from your normal protein sources. MAYBE a case could be made for taking them if you workout fasted but I dont think the average lifters needs to supplement them.

I like pre workouts when they are free. : ) So many supplement store with so many different employees you can usually get some free sample if they think you might buy one of them. Not buying that over priced stuff though. LOL
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I take flaxseed oil supplements (fish oil leaves a bad taste in my mouth) - I swear my moods are more stable with them.

I also take B complex since I mostly eat vegetarian and no red meat at all (fish or chicken maybe once a month).

I've been taking biotin to see if it really does improve hair/skin/nails.

And I take D3 at fairly large doses (especially in winter) since reading a ton of research about it.

I also take melatonin most nights to help me sleep (I have chronic insomnia).
  • MrNoisy
    MrNoisy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yikes, what's with all these grocery lists of supplements.

A good multivitamin, Omega-3, and Whey protein are all you "need" if you're going to start supplementing. None of these are necessary though hence the term supplements. They are the most useful though, if you decide to use any. (I'm assuming you're talking about supplements for weight training and body building?)

BCAAs - pretty much pointless. You could take it if you train fasted, but even still it's not necessary. If you look at any protein powder, you'll see it already has more than enough BCAAs in it.

Isolate Protein - Waste of money. Super fast absorption is not worth losing all of the extra nutrients during the refining process. The whole must have protein within an hour of working out is also bs. Whey concentrate is just as good/far cheaper. The best bet would probably be a blend, with concentrate, isolate, egg, casein proteins (and are still cheaper than isolates). Having different digestion rates for your protein would be best.

CLA - Not needed

Glucosamine/Condroitin - Depends on age, joint issues, but for the most part, not needed.

Milk Thistle - If you're an every day drunken college kid or like beating up your liver maybe. But again, for the most part not necessary.

Hawthorne berry - not needed

Pre Workout - Try working out normally first. If you seriously can't make it through a workout or have no energy at all, then maybe. Not needed, but can be useful.

Glutamine - It's the most abundant amino in our bodies. If there's ever a full on cash grab, I would pick this as my #1.

Creatine - Not needed, but can help in the long term if you decide to start seriously working out.

Waxy Maize - It's carbs. I'm sure you get plenty of carbs in a day. Not needed.

Greens Powder - Not needed, eat your veggies.

Green Tea Extract - Not needed.

Save yourself some money and keep it simple. Don't get sucked in to the supplement industry and all the marketing and propaganda that goes with it.

If you want to Supplement:

1) Multivitamin
    2) Whey Protein
    3) Omega-3

That's it. You can add in creatine later on down the line if you like, it's pretty cheap.

*Edit: Like the above poster said, Vitamin-D3 is good for general health. Most people don't get enough sun/are deficient.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

BCAA
    Isolate protein
    Multi Vitamin
    fish oil
    glucosamine chondroitin
    Milk Thistle
    Hawthorne berry

Do you lift?

CLA doesn't work.
    JAck3d is garbage
    I concur.

Agree^

There is really no need for "fast" absorbing protein so I would not spend the extra for whey isolate.

You get enough BCAA's from your normal protein sources. MAYBE a case could be made for taking them if you workout fasted but I dont think the average lifters needs to supplement them.

I like pre workouts when they are free. : ) So many supplement store with so many different employees you can usually get some free sample if they think you might buy one of them. Not buying that over priced stuff though. LOL
    I picked up a case of GNC's AMP pre-workout for $5 a tub. You can't beat that. The only supplement I will pay for is protein powder.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    For anyone in general, fish oil is really the only supplement you NEED. Everything else depends on your stats and goals.

As for multi vitamins, sure you can take them, but the only way to really know what you vitamins your body is lacking is to get blood work done.

I wouldn't consider whey/ casein protein powders as supplements, but more of a food source. They're something to help you hit your daily protein goal.

If you lift weights for the purpose of changing your body composition, then I'd also include Creatine, Beta-alanine and Citrulline Malate (in that order). If you feel you also need some sort of stimulant pre-workout, then whatever floats your boat.

If you lift weights seriously and sometime go heavy, then a good joint support supplement (or simply glucosamine) might be also helpful.

These are the only supplements I would ever take/ recommend, with very rare exceptions
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Note: If your diet is totally squared away, you may be able to ignore some of these. Even most people who eat "very healthy" are both choline and magnesium deficient though. Dosages are generally suitable for "average" people. If you are very large or small, modification may be needed.

General Purpose (most people should take):
    Multi-vitamin
    Fish Oil (should get ~1.2g DHA, 1.8g EPA per day between diet and sups)
    Choline ~300-600mg/day (>80% of Americans are deficient)
    Magnesium ~500mg/day (~75% of Americans are deficient)
    Probiotic (yogurt works too)
    CoQ10 ~100mg/day

Anti-oxidant/anti-aging (people who care about longevity and general health and/or environmental stress/toxins should take these):
    Acetyl L-Carnitine (~500mg 2x/day)
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (~250mg 2x/day)
    N-Acetyl Cysteine (~500mg/day)

Optional but nice:
    Piracetam 800mg 2x/day (enhances intelligence, memory, and prevents cognitive decline related to aging... prescription only in Europe)
    Phosphatidylserine (consider this if you don't eat a lot of meat... not sure on dosage on this... if you eat ~1lb+ of meat per day, which you should, you get enough already)
    Melatonin (1-2mg sublingual if you have sleep issues. Take ~1.5-2 hours before bed, or 9-12 hours after natural awakening time for treatment of circadian disorders)

Workout-related (all optional, but dirt cheap and effective):
    Creatine ~5g/'day
    Beta-alanine ~4g/day
    L-Glutamine ~4g/day

Interesting optional stuff:
    Sedatives:
    Valerian Root (same method of action as valium, very effective), can make you drowsy, pretty potent
    Phenibut (Beta-phenyl-gamma-aminobuteric acid--form of GABA that can pass through blood brain barrier), very mild @~250mg, good "natural" way to boost GABA levels

Stimulants/Euphoriants
    L-Tyrosine: Boosts levels of dopamine and adrenaline (epinepherine/norepinepherine), non-essential amino acid.

"Stubborn fat" burners (useful for <10-12% body fat men, <18-20% body fat women... no point otherwise):
    Alpha-yohimbine/rauwolscine (alpha-2 antagonist, limited alpha-1 agonist effects): Mild stimulant/mood effects, great for stubborn fat loss.
    Yohimbine (alpha-2 antagonist, strong alpha-1 agonist): Potent stimulant with major potential side effects on blood pressure and mood (e.g. panic attacks). More effective for stubborn fat loss, but start with low test dose to evaluate side-effects.
    Effective dose for either is ~0.2mg/kg lean body mass. Personally, I can't tolerate that much Yohimbine. Combine either with L-Tyrosine for better efficacy. DO NOT ever combine yohimbine or alpha-yohimbine with ephedrine or other stimulants (caffeine may be OK, but ephedrine could kill you... YMMV).
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I really like this thread. Lot of different perspectives.
    I too get confused on what to take.

Outside of muscle building supplements are there any fat burners u guys suggest?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I really like this thread. Lot of different perspectives.
    I too get confused on what to take.

Outside of muscle building supplements are there any fat burners u guys suggest?

None
  • qbdeal1
    qbdeal1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

BCAA
    Isolate protein
    Multi Vitamin
    fish oil
    glucosamine chondroitin
    Milk Thistle
    Hawthorne berry

Do you lift?

CLA doesn't work.
    JAck3d is garbage

Again, everything i put up i take and it helps a lot. It depends on your body, i know people where CLA doesn't help and it does help lose weight. Again this is based off different people. I never buy from GNC, they are a rip off.. All of my supps come from bodybuilding.com. Literally everything is 50 percent cheaper. Isolate protein i prefer, I dont use whey but bioplex nutrition, i rather have more protein in 1 scoop than all that other crap. Its based upon your body. As of now i am getting 90% protein in 1 scoop.

Most of it is in your diet anyway.

For Fat burners, I used that and had a great weight loss. Now i am all about cutting up.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/hyper-shred.html

Also, everyone has different opinions about pre workouts, i tried a lot and i found MP assault and Jack3d work good for me. I take 3 scoops not the average 1 and i stack it with con cret and beta cret.