Protein Powder

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
Okay, I like smoothies in the morning. The problem is, for me, they don't last very long. I was told to add protein powder to my smoothies.
I tried that this morning. I bought some Soy Isolate Protein Powder in the bulk section of Winco today. For about 60 calories, I got 15 grams of protein in my (roughly) 10 oz smoothie.
But I can taste the protein powder. Big time. It's really grossing me out. But I need protein in the morning, and protein powder is easy for me.
So, the questions is, I am trying to shove too much protein powder into my drink, and that's why I can taste it? Or did I buy a gross kind of protein powder or something?
I'd really like to be able to use this stuff, because it's relatively cheap, and, because I don't pay for groceries, someone is going to have a fit if I ask for expensive protein powder.

Replies

• mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Whenever I make a smoothie with protein powder I never taste it. I use Designer Whey 15g of protein and 3g or less of carbs. I mix 1 cup of strawberries and blueberries, banana, 1/2 c of pomergrante juice and 1 scoop of powder at least once a week for breakfast. I like the chocolate protein powder. It has 100 calories per scoop. I have heard some people say they have a gritty taste but I have never tasted it. I also put protein powder in oatmeal.:drinker:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I can always taste my protein powder, is the kind you bought supposed to be tasteless? Try another brand or flavor. I like Optimum Nutrition or Scivation. I don't know what you normally put in your smoothies but if you don't already, greek yogurt is another high protein food you could add to them.
  • map15
    map15 Posts: 1
    Options
    try dymatize elite. it taste good, has a variety of flavors (chocolate mint, butter toffee, berry blast, etc) is inexpensive. One scoop has 117 calories, 24 g protein, 2g carbs and 1.5g fat. I buy it at The Vitamin Shoppe.
  • bluexiii
    bluexiii Posts: 36
    Options
    BSN Syntha 6 Vanilla or Strawberry. Best protein powder you'll ever have and is amazing in smoothies
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A good one you won't taste as much, but it depends on how/what you mix it with. I use 1 scoop Muscle Milk strawberry with 1 cup 1/2%milk and 2/3 cup frozen strawberries, blended. It gives me about 250 calories but alot of sugar cuz of the strawberries. I have tried a few and it is the only one I like without the "gritty, protein powder" taste. Good luck!!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
    I don't know if my powder is supposed to be tasteless. It's in a bulk container (where you just grab how much you want and put it in a bag), so it doesn't give much info besides the ingredients and price.

In my smoothies, I put 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 banana, 1 container (6 oz) of strawberry banana yogurt, and then the 3 tbs of the protein powder.
  • StephenD
    StephenD Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm currently using Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protien in vanilla. I mix it as directed with 8 oz. of soy milk. It tastes just like a milk shake to me. I've also added lo fat yogurt and natural peanut butter. I used to use soy protein and I found I could taste it also. I don't think any powder will be tasteless, just figure out something you can mix it with to make it bearable.
  • Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    Options
    I use GNC Vanilla Whey Protein (20g protein) mixed with 3/4 cup of Almond Breeze milk and 1/2 bag of Yoplait Frozen Smoothie. It's approx 248 cal per serving, but it tastes amazing and following an intense wo, is a nice treat! I also use the chocolate flavor w/ice and Almond Breeze once in a while...
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi
    New to the protein powder thing but I made smoothies for DH and myself this am:
    2 scoops whey and soy protein powder (vanilla) 115 cals
    1 banana - 100 cal
    1cup blueberries - 70 cal
    1 tbsp flaxseed oil - 120 cal

400 cals, so that's a little high for me(not DH:laugh: ) but good for you. This is the easiest way to get my flaxseed oil, optional for anyone else. Could also use 1 fruit instead of 2 - and add a little agave nectar to taste - Delish!!

Janet