Every time I run it hurts my knees.

Options

Replies

• timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am all for checking it out with a doctor who treats sports injuries.

^^^This, if you are going to the doctor, be sure it is one that works with runners or athletes where the treatment assumes you will continue to run and actually treats the cause vs. remove it by telling you to stop running.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You should never use a treadmill at 0 incline, it is not natural and bad for the legs. Always have the treadmills incline set to 1.0
    This applies to everything and everyone. Walking, jogging or running.
    I didn't know that, thanks!
    Because it's not true!! Wow, can the bro-science be cut down to a dull roar please.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    well stop. walk!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My first few months into running, I had knee pain as well. I was 22, not athletic, 160 lbs at 5'6". My knees hurt so bad after every run, I really thought I might throw up but I kept doing it anyway.

I was wearing the wrong shoes. The problem was my feet. I discovered that I overpronate and invested in the best shoes for my feet and I haven't heard a single complaint from my knees since. 10 years strong now.
  • Midnigh
    Midnigh Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do stretch before I run. I run on my treadmill at no incline, but every time I'm finished running, my knees start to hurt every time I take a step. I don't know if how fast I'm running has to do with it, but I run 1 mile at 6 mph. Anyone know why I'm having this problem?

I have torn meniscus in both of my knees which was diagnosised via MRI in 2010. I slowed way down (gave up dancing :ohwell: ) but I'm finally having surgery on 12/28. You may want to check this out: http://www.medicinenet.com/torn_meniscus/article.htm

Be healthy.
  • Chloe_P78
    Chloe_P78 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You should never use a treadmill at 0 incline, it is not natural and bad for the legs. Always have the treadmills incline set to 1.0

^^this^^
    Also, a lot of injury on treadmills occurs because of the speed setting not being high enough and therefore the user landing too heavily. Try increasing the speed and see if the pain in your knees subsides.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Shoes, shoes, shoes. Make sure you have shoes that work for you. Go to a running store if you can, one that will watch you run on the treadmill and get you in the right shoes. This made all the difference in the world for me. I had knee problems, then ankle problems. Shoes fixed all those issues for me. I also found running outside is much better for me. I seem to have more issues running on the treadmill.

There is also some that saying stretching before running is not good, stretching cold muscles isn't good for them. But I know there are some that swear by it, so won't say don't do it, but just throwing it out there.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I had a LOT of knee pain at first because of bad form. Stopped running until the pain was gone (a couple weeks), corrected the form, now I'm fine.

Soreness or discomfort are normal. Outright pain is a message from your body that something needs to be changed. So many possibilities (see all the posts above)... but don't ignore the pain - seek out the reason for it, and correct it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but does one require a little extra water, fat, and protein for running.. for support of you muscles (not losing muscle mass) a joints being lubricated?(my mom was always on my case when I was running, about eating fats, when I complained about my knees)
    Maybe if you are running daily you need more than your 'under 1200 calories'?
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My knees have always been a hindrance to me thinking I could run long distances. When I started to do triathlons, I noticed that my knees bothered me a lot less than when I was just running. I'm now training for a half marathon and there are days when my knees are sore afterwards (they are fine when I'm actually running). I never run on back to back days, have been doing yoga immediately following and use my foam roller on my IT bands, hips and quads nearly every single day and ice baths after my long runs. I also bought new shoes and have increased my strength training. I've found that my knees are less sore than they were when I was running 5Ks. You should always listen to your body and stop when something hurts but stretching and strengthening could be helpful.
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    I agree with lots of others your body is telling you to stop, just stop!

If that's not going to happen then have you had your shoes fitted to you? You said you were wearing Nike's but if they are giving you the wrong support then they are no good. Don't get me wrong I love Nike (they have lots of my money) but even if they are great shoes if they aren't supporting your stride its not worth buying them.

I had problems until I got mine fitted properly they looked at how I ran/walked and gave me a few options that would work for me. It's made a massive difference and is really important to get the right shoe. I always thought this advice was kind of crap and just a way to sell expensive shoes until I actually listened and it does make a difference.
  • MJMARIN81
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes as well but I have had knee surgery (torn acl on rt knee). I notice when I run at a faster pace my steps are harder and therefore put more stress on the joints. I would suggest to go a bit slower and also when you are running be mindful of how hard your feet are hitting the ground.

Also as some have said do some exercises for your quads as that will help stabilize your knee joints.
  • mrsricta
    Options

:happy:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    What part of your knee hurts? Does it go away after a mile or so, or get worse? Do you do ITB stretches? Have you been professionally fitted for proper shoes?

No matter the answer, don't run through knee pain. It means something is wrong and you need to figure out what before causing more damage.

Agree!

Get fitted for proper shoes, if you haven't already. And maybe attend a form clinic? I just went to one and it made a huge difference in how I feel when I'm running (I wasn't in pain, but got "uncomfortable" after only running for a little bit).

And if you are actually in pain, don't use heat.....ice only.

Rest
    Immobilize
    Cold
    Elevate
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? If you started not that long ago, it probably will go away. You might try just walking for awhile on the treadmill and work up to running

Send me a message and let me know how it works for you

Basil
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'll leave the shoe comments to those that wear them :-) .

Are you landing in your heels? This generates a lot of impact force on the knees. You should be landing on the balls of your feet also called a mid foot strike. This allows your arch and calf to absorb the impact as they are intended to do when running.
  • Dean513
    Options
    If you know any other runners, have them watch you on the treadmill as you run, they might spot something wrong in your stride. Making some adjustments to your stride could make a big difference. Try doing sprints instead of a constant pace. 3 min run, 2 min walk for 30 minutes, I do this when I've been injured and it helps in my recovery.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

I'm curious as to why - wouldn't it be just like walking on flat ground?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

I'm curious as to why - wouldn't it be just like walking on flat ground?

It is.
    Don't listen to him.

There have been studies done, that show it doesn't make a lick of difference.
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    SHOES, SHOES, SHOES......Go to a running store and get fitted for the right shoes. I used to have the same problem. Some places will have a treadmill set up that is able to measure how much you pronate, etc and what direction, then fit you with the right shoes to adjust the problem. I used to wear Nikes all the time. Swore by them. I got fitted at a store and am now wearing Saucony shoes. They make a world of difference.