Please help me understand starvation mode

Options
I'm curious if I'm misunderstanding.

I do realize that every body is different, so each body will depict starvation mode at it's own pace.

Right now, my calories pre-workout are at around the 1500 mark. I usually work out and burn appx 150, giving me 1650.

Granted, I'm not always eating my workout calories, but I'm always making sure to eat at least 1200 calories each day. This is my first full week, and I was expecting to have a huge loss, and I actually gained from my second (impromptu) weigh-in.

So, am I possibly putting my body into starvation mode because i'm heavier and needing more calories, or is it okay for me to eat less calories, provided that I am over the 1200 calorie limit, and the gain is potentially just my body trying to plateau?

(Please be kind!)

Replies

• futfurd
    futfurd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is that starvation mode aside your body is a furnace. Your metabolism will not run unless it has the fuel to fire up. Your energy will be low, your workout performance will suffer, and your metabolism will slow if you don't eat. The bottom line is you have to find that line that will allow you to lose weight AND keep your metabolism up. For me the 6 small meals angle has always worked best. I don't get hungry, and if I do, I eat. Inversely I don't eat when i'm not, and that means I don't always eat my workout calories either. My advice. Eat 6 small CLEAN meals a day. Include some lowfat protein, and fiber for satiety. AND ALWAYS eat a solid breakfast. You will feel better, and the metabolism boost will help you get that weight off
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If MFP says eat 1500 taking into account your weekly loss goal amount, I would not eat under the 1500, and eat some, if not all, of your exercise calories. If you chose 2 pounds per week MFP gives you a daily caloric deficit of 1000. If that is what you have at 1500 eating only 1200 would give you a deficit of 1300 plus your150 from exercise for a total deficit of 1460.

Try eating what MFP suggests for 3-4 weeks if you don't have results then, then look at switching things up.
  • Chiqueta
    Chiqueta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Couple of questions:

How far apart were your weigh-ins?
    Is 1650 the amount of calories that MFP prescribed for you?

I ask because even though I weigh myself every day I only count the official weigh-in which is exactly one week. My weight fluctuates on a daily basis and at times I have "gained" 1-2 pounds in the span of a day.

If i were you I'd try to stay reasonably close to your prescribed calories and just monitor your eating for a few weeks. If you're eating a lot of sodium (like I do) you could possibly be retaining water.

I went almost the entire month of March with very little change in the scale even though I was doing very well on my food intake. I FINALLY had a shift today. Sometimes you just gotta trust in the process and wait it out. I hope this helps.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is used to describe a lot of different things. Your metabolism slows down when you eat less than you burn, that's normal. If you eat a LOT less than you burn (50% or so I've read), your body may begin to conserve organ function, making you feel sleepy and grumpy and fuzzy headed. Too long without enough to eat and your weight loss may stall or slow significantly, as your body tries to retain fat stores.

The more you have to lose, the more you can afford to fudge (calories, not the candy :wink: )

If you just started working out, your muscles may have stored glycogen, which can cause it to look like you gained (on the scale). Give it a few weeks before you try upping or lowering the recommended calories.
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others as far as 3 full meals (a protein, starch carb, and veggie/low carb) eat every 2-3 hours 3-4 snacks around 100 calorie. Keep your 1500 calorie day, and if you go over the exercise will make up for that. Some times it takes a few weeks to a month or so before the pounds start coming off, so be patient. did you take your measurements? If your loosing inches, thats awsome, the scales not always your friend, but loosing inches is fantastic.
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone. It sounds like the consensus is to eat the suggested cals for the day, including exercise cals, and see where it gets me. I think I was getting too far ahead of myself. Thank you all. :flowerforyou: