Gaining weight at 40

Options
Does someone know of a thread that focuses on A) women and B) age. I have struggled with about 5 pounds since 35 and in my 40th year, this year, it seems like I am gaining a pound every one to two weeks. Since I married 9 years ago. I have gained 16 pounds but half of that has been this year:( It doesn't seem to stop.

Replies

• Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This one is for 40 somethings - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/463-40-and-fabulous

I hear ya on the 40, I struggled much more once I hit that age and losing weight this time around was most difficult, but I also lost it much slower and sensibly than in my younger years and for that reason, I truly feel it has been a lifestyle change. Best of luck to you.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Unfortunately that's the bitter reality that we have to associate as we age. Unless we do something about it, at age 30 we start to lose muscle, about half pound each year which means we are losing 5 pounds of muscle in a decade. Since muscles are our most effective fat burning tool, losing muscle means a slower metabolism that results in weight gain even if we eat the same. Plus the menopause decreases our estrogen levels that directs our body fat distribution to the lower body area which means that at that age, we begin to store most of our body fat in our midsection.

Obviously building or maintaining our muscle mass thru strength training is the answer to minimize muscle loss and to somehow reverse the midlife weight gain. If you want more inspiration, google Ernestine Shepherd the world's oldest female body builder at age 76 (By the way she doesn't look bulky and looks hot, very fit & wayyy younger than her real age. I want to be like her when I get old).
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add, other than you are not alone. If you are looking for some extra "pals", please feel free to add me. I am new to dieting and exercise. Before 40 my metabolism was high and I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted. Now, not so much.

But we can all learn from each other, right?

Kelly
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    NO way, I looked at your picture and no way you are 40 :smile: .....sheeesh you age gracefully..
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm not enjoying the 40's weight gain.........if anyone knows secrets to getting rid/battling it fill me in!
  • SocraticS
    SocraticS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting everyone! My picture is me at 8 pounds less just last January. Please feel free to add me. I'm looking any and 40 year-old women to share with.
  • SocraticS
    SocraticS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey, (Nanainkent) Fun Lady. One thing I do NOT complain about is my youthful experience. I've ALWAYS looked younger than I actually I am (which found really annoying as teenager).
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    NO way, I looked at your picture and no way you are 40 :smile: .....sheeesh you age gracefully..

I totally agree! You look like a girl I used to go to high school with!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm not enjoying the 40's weight gain.........if anyone knows secrets to getting rid/battling it fill me in!

Haven't quite gotten the"getting rid" part down, but for batteling it - weights weights and weights...Oh, and lower carb and HIGH protein.....