Not a success....yet. 1 year on mfp.

So today I hit 365 days logged on my fitness pal. It wasn't until about a month into it that I started getting serious about focusing on what I was eating (who starts eating healthier at christmas time??)

I have only lost about 40 lbs in the past year. Started this journey at 230 lbs. ended up in the hospital twice with hernia complications and finally had surgery may 31. Both times, i had to quit exercising for weeks. After surgery, i was out of commission for a out 12 weeks. Sadly, I think I may be developing another but I hope it's just scar tissue.

Anyways...these are my pics (if I get the nerve to actually post them). I have so far to go, but I'll get there eventually. Thank you to each of my MFP friends who inspire me, enlighten me and kick my *kitten* when I need it. If not for you guys, I'd likely have drifted far from here long ago.

A7B212A8-46C1-4E57-B541-A06CEC702A5A-1565-00000186C04DEEDD.jpg

6F40167C-9BA0-48DA-845B-E30E76A9616A-1565-0000018BB4A2EB37.jpg

3E18242E-7C13-413E-954C-EED211173BE8-1565-00000186DE4BF558.jpg

Bloated and stapled from surgery....

4481377F-EC13-41EB-A16D-BEB6D149C0E7-1565-0000018FF5141669.jpg

0DA58532-6A2E-46C2-8A4C-0BFF6846AD1B-1565-0000019040D11E3C.jpg

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    I can't see the full pics - looks like they get cut off.... but 40lbs in a year is fantastic, especially with the complications/surgeries!! Great job, you are a success, and you're still here right? :)
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    40 pounds a year is great, especially with your surgeries. You should be proud of yourself.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    The fact that you've lost 40 lbs is a success!! You have made it through two trips to the hospital and surgery! You are still on your journey, and it's not how much weight you lose in a specific amount of time that determines whether or not you are a success; what will determine if you are successful or not is how you overcome your obstacles and whether or not you give up on your goals because they are difficult to reach. If you persevere, you will be a success!! :wink:
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    40 lbs is a huge difference - congrats on all of your hard work!! and all the best on your journey - you're on the right track!!
  • I think 40 lbs lost is a great success! Just keep taking it one day at a time. You have to listen to your body and let it heal. Failure would be gaining and you haven't done that even with your health challenges so be proud of yourself!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Nope, you're wrong.

That's a success. I've been on MFP for 11.5 months and have only lost 36lbs, and I can't even use surgery as an excuse. Hope you're all healed up and ready to attack the rest of your weight in the new year!
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Great job despite all the obstacles and think of all the possibilities in 2013 with your surgeries behind you.
  • You look great! 40 pounds is an awesome accomplishment. Congrats not only on that, but on not giving up.
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    I desperately hope that you're fishing for compliments and that you don't actually believe that you have not been successful. 40 pounds in a year is AWESOME! 40 pounds in any time frame is an amazing accomplishment. Just think of the wonderful, long term implications this will have for your health.

I've lost 12 pounds in four months, which I guess by some people's standards is a failure, but I view it as an enormous success and the beginning of a long and exciting journey. If I keep on the same track I'm on now, I will have lost a total of 36 pounds when I hit my one year mark. I actually think that's pretty awesome. I'll have gone from obese to almost normal in a year's time!
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Thank you. In not fishing at all, I'm just saying that I'd hardly call my progress a success yet, since I am only half way there. I'm going to try to resize these later (gotta get to the gym!)

Thanks for your support!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    I said this in your first attempt, but I'll quote myself here again since this one has the pics and stuff:
    ONLY 40 pounds? 1/4 of the year you were out of commission, and you didn't start for the first month. ONLY 40 pounds?!?

ONLY?

Shut up!

You're over half-way to your goal, too, by the way.

Also, look at the pics! You must be blind if you're not proud of what you've done!
  • Switty_Kitty
    why cant i resize???
  • Switty_Kitty
    i give up lol
  • Switty_Kitty
    A7B212A8-46C1-4E57-B541-A06CEC702A5A-1565-00000186C04DEEDD.jpg

oneyear-back.jpg

OneYear-Side.jpg

bloated and stapled...
    bloated.jpg
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    YOU LOOK FANTASTIC. I heart you!
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    You look great and you can DEFINITELY see a difference! Good job! Keep up the good work!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Your progress is amazing and nothing to sneeze at!

Also, OUCH!!! Your poor belly!!!
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Wow! I think you have done an awesome job considering all the setbacks you've had this year! Well done! :)
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    You look great! Keep it up!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    So So SO proud of you, beautiful friend. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!