9 year old drops 66lbs.

Options
The news article caught my eye when it said a 9 year old who weighed in at 186lbs had lost 66lbs. I just like to share stories that I come across that offers any kind of support/ motivation.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/breanna-bond-9-loses-66-pounds-133918949--abc-news-health.html

Replies

• shawnteahsing
    shawnteahsing Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I saw this too and thought, what am amazing girl and her family!!.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    just watched that- all it takes is support. Awesome story! Her life is changed now.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Yahoo, and it was AMAZING. That girl is such an inspiration!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to check this out tomorrow! I lost 70 lbs when I was 14 so this is near and dear to my heart.
  • EEpling89
    Options
    I kind of have mixed emotions about this. I'm definitely all for parents taking control of their young children's health but a "zero tolerance policy" that involves a mandatory hour and 15 min daily on the treadmill? I'm not exactly sure what she means by that, an hour 15 min straight running or what but if so, I couldn't do that and I'm not super overweight or out of shape.

But if it makes the girl happy, excellent. I just hope it's what SHE wants and not just what her parents want.
  • embracingmycurves
    embracingmycurves Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I also saw this story. It was very inspiring to see a 9 year old so determined to get healthy.
  • Blondie_05
    Options
    Yeah I'm just glad that the parents saw that they needed to push her & motivate her instead of enabling her to continue down the path she was on. It said she was 100lbs by the time she reached kindergarten...Amazing little girl!!!!
  • imcool19
    Options
    that is so inspiring... :)
  • bellacobelgium
    Options
    At 13 I went from 172lbs down to 136lbs. and went from 5'2" to 5'7". I was a completely different person. I have to get the photos from my dad on the two different years... it only took 3 months. I really don't remember what I did to drop that fast. I think I was just walking outside. I started by riding my bike.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    20 grams of fat a day?? O_o

That said, she looks happy and healthy so more power to her.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The hour and 15 minutes on the treadmill are 25 minutes running, the rest walking.

I know they had her tested for everything but there is clearly something that wasn't right medically with her. Whether it was an as yet undiscovered metabolic issue, or a neurological issue (perhaps no satiety signals to the brain?), there was clearly no environmental explanation for her weight gain (based on the other members of the family). Glad to see they have it under control now!

I too have some issues with the zero tolerance policy too. I struggle with my oldest son (he needs to lose 5 to 10 lbs tops) but have chosen to focus on being healthy rather than being thin. He eats well and moves a lot but is still a bigger kid (with a HUGE muscle mass - always had it - there was ZERO baby fat on him as a baby, all muscle).
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    The video was unavailable, but I read the article. Good for the family.
    WTF is wrong with the doctor?? a 100-pound 4 year old will NOT grow into her body...
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I saw this and was happy for the girl. its great how her parents took action...
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    I know they had her tested for everything but there is clearly something that wasn't right medically with her. Whether it was an as yet undiscovered metabolic issue, or a neurological issue (perhaps no satiety signals to the brain?), there was clearly no environmental explanation for her weight gain (based on the other members of the family). Glad to see they have it under control now!

I thought the same thing when I saw that.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Isn't that incridable! :)