Sasebo Japan

Options
My husband just got new orders on Monday. We are going to Sasebo, Japan sometime between June & July. Anyone stationed there now or been stationed there before? I've been looking at stuff on the internet about military life there but I think the best advice comes from other people that have actually lived there. Any help or advice would be great. I'm still in shock and a little sad.

Thank in advance,
Elizabeth :flowerforyou:

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Visit Okinawan massage parlors. :devil:
  • ekkand
    ekkand Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Good luck girl. I thought being stationed in Lawton, Oklahoma was bad.. I would hate to live in Japan.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I haven't lived in Japan, but visited for a month. Beautiful country. Quirky people. Great food! Enjoy :)
  • haydensmommy30
    Options
    Visit Okinawan massage parlors. :devil:

Haha do I dare ask why???? :happy:
  • haydensmommy30
    Options
    I haven't lived in Japan, but visited for a month. Beautiful country. Quirky people. Great food! Enjoy :)

I will for sure need MFP in Japan if the food is great!! :smile:
  • haydensmommy30
    Options
    Good luck girl. I thought being stationed in Lawton, Oklahoma was bad.. I would hate to live in Japan.

I was so ready to leave Jacksonville, Florida. Guess I need to be more careful on what I wish for. Lol!! :laugh:
  • ekkand
    ekkand Posts: 592 Member
    Options

I was so ready to leave Jacksonville, Florida. Guess I need to be more careful on what I wish for. Lol!! :laugh:
    Hahaha yes, yes you do. I wished for somewhere warm and I got Lawton, Oklahoma.. NOT what I was hoping for at all. I'm sure you'll have fun in Japan though!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Japan is a beautiful country with incredible culture. This sounds like it will be difficult to leave what you know and love about home, but I think making a new home will be fantastic too!
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Japan's a neat place! I bet you'll enjoy it... the culture's so different, but in a good way! Especially if you have acess to a city. The country is beautiful there, too, though. Everything's so clean!
  • fgodfrey56
    fgodfrey56 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow, I lived there in the 1960's when my dad was in the Navy. I am sure it has changed a little bit...
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hahaha yes, yes you do. I wished for somewhere warm and I got Lawton, Oklahoma.. NOT what I was hoping for at all. I'm sure you'll have fun in Japan though!

Lawton was awesome (Ft. Sill) compared to the paradise that was Altus AFB. If Lawton was nowhere, we were 45 minutes outside of nowhere.

Japan is AWESOME and I'm major jealous and always wanted to be able to go there. You're going to have the time of your life, it's an amazing culture. And if you don't want to play off base you know they spend a ton on Morale/Welfare/Recreation for assignments like that one. This is a good thing, not a bad thing!
  • shawnp80134
    Options
    I was in Atsugi Japan for 1 1/2 in the late 80's. It is a very nice place for the most part... They are not a diverse culture like ours, so you will bumb up against that a bit, but they are very nice, love to speak english with anyone willing, and are very helpful. Be open to learning a different culture and way of doing things, like taking the trains which can get you anywhere and on time. PS,.... stay out of the message parlors and the "whisper alleys" and you'll be fine!
  • haydensmommy30
    Options
    Thank you all for relpying to my post!! I'm wearing a big smile now!! Instead of being sad, I'm thankful for my husband. Because of his service, I'm able to do what many people can't do; travel. Now I'm ready to pack!!! Lol!! :heart:
  • haydensmommy30
    Options
    I was in Atsugi Japan for 1 1/2 in the late 80's. It is a very nice place for the most part... They are not a diverse culture like ours, so you will bumb up against that a bit, but they are very nice, love to speak english with anyone willing, and are very helpful. Be open to learning a different culture and way of doing things, like taking the trains which can get you anywhere and on time. PS,.... stay out of the message parlors and the "whisper alleys" and you'll be fine!

Thank you! I'm going to Japan with an open mind and stay out of the massage parlors & LMBO!! I had to google whisper alleys.
  • haydensmommy30
    Options
    Ok, ok, well since I made you jealous I want to go now. Lol!! Jk!! I am convinced now that it's going to be a great experience.

Thanks!!
  • haydensmommy30
    Options

Lawton was awesome (Ft. Sill) compared to the paradise that was Altus AFB. If Lawton was nowhere, we were 45 minutes outside of nowhere.

Japan is AWESOME and I'm major jealous and always wanted to be able to go there. You're going to have the time of your life, it's an amazing culture. And if you don't want to play off base you know they spend a ton on Morale/Welfare/Recreation for assignments like that one. This is a good thing, not a bad thing!

Ok, ok, well since I made you jealous I want to go now. Lol!! Jk!! I am convinced now that it's going to be a great experience.

Thanks!!
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I lived in Japan for three years in the 70s then again for two years in the 90s. When I left the second time I was literally as big as a sumo wrestler. Be very careful of the delicious food.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I haven't lived in Japan, but I've been there twice. In my experience the Japanese are very nice. My kids loved it there too because the Japanese were always giving them candies lol! Good luck on your move. I know a few military families that are there and really do enjoy it. We live on Guam, but did in processing in Okinawa for 3 days, and I mentioned to my husband that I wouldn't mind living there if we got orders there.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My daughter was stationed in Okinawa for 2.5 years and really liked it. She is half Japanese and never had any racial problems. Neither did my other daughter who spent 3 weeks touring the country. Yes, the Japanese are very homogeneous, I'm 3rd generation with some relatives making me 5th and I was the first generation to marry outside of the race.

Okinawa is different than mainland and is sort of a fusion of Japanese, Chinese and I guess some other cultures. My daughter loved it, loved the food, didn't mind the humid weather.

Mainland is very clean and polite. My younger daughter doesn't really like large cities but felt safe and at home in Tokyo.

Take advantage of being able to immerse yourself in another culture. Make sure you take the time to see the country and experience things that aren't necessarily tourist places.