Is rice good for weight loss?

Options
Just wondering what your thoughts are on rice for weight loss. I know that there is rice diets out there. I guess I am just wondering has any used rice on a daily basis? Only asking because I had white rice this morning for breakfast and just got to thinking about it......

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It is a calorie dense food so depends on how much you eat ;)

I doubt white rice helps that much with weight loss but in the end it still boils down to calories in / calories out.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    NO! White rice is not good for weight loss at all.. too high in carbs.. shoots the blood sugar levels up and basically doesn't actually have much nutritional value.
    Brown rice is a little bit better but unless you have a metabolism that is used to rice and needs it for digestive purposes.. avoid the white stuff!
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit.
  • pithynutritionpun
    pithynutritionpun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you like rice, eat rice, fitting it into your macronutrient goals. If you don't particularly care for rice, don't eat rice. It's no better or worse than any other food for weight loss, relatively speaking.
  • dramir47
    Options
    it's only the lack in fiber that makes brown rice a better choice. White rice isn't truly bad at all.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Most of the world eats white rice, and only when white rice hit North America's shores has it been demonized as white death......too many carbs and it's er, white.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    i eat white rice almost every other night for dinner but i only eat a 1/2 cup to 3/4 of a cup with some low sodium black beans, it is not bad on calories, and it helps out A LOT with sodium. you would be surprised how much sodium is in a lot of food, and how much food is processed, i couldnt believe it at first, but that is why i will eat white rice, just in moderation though.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    NO! White rice is not good for weight loss at all.. too high in carbs.. shoots the blood sugar levels up and basically doesn't actually have much nutritional value.
    Brown rice is a little bit better but unless you have a metabolism that is used to rice and needs it for digestive purposes.. avoid the white stuff!

I live in Asia.. and I have noticed that when I eat lots of rice.. I gain weight..

the broscience is strong in this one
  • nicki_1004
    Options
    I generally am under in my calories MFP gives me 1300 I am lucky if I hit 1000 everyday . For my carbs I generally have between 50-100 a day so my carbs are generally under as well. I usually don't eat it because everyone is always saying how bad it is for you. But I just happened to come across articles saying it isn't bad for you, along with the others saying it is. So I figured I would ask in here to get some other opinions on it.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    i eat white rice almost every other night for dinner but i only eat a 1/2 cup to 3/4 of a cup with some low sodium black beans, it is not bad on calories, and it helps out A LOT with sodium. you would be surprised how much sodium is in a lot of food, and how much food is processed, i couldnt believe it at first, but that is why i will eat white rice, just in moderation though.
    Your just talking foolishness. j/k Everyone knows that shirataki noodles and walden farm 0 calorie imitation maple syrup is good for weight loss, not rice, rice has calories and carbs a double wammy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I live in Asia.. and I have noticed that when I eat lots of rice.. I gain weight..

5382388872_e55d61a3f7_z.jpg
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Most of the world eats white rice, and only when white rice hit North America's shores has it been demonized as white death......too many carbs and it's er, white.

*sigh* white rice is a simple carb, therefore it spikes your blood glucose. When your BG spikes it will burn off quickly leaving your body wanting another spike. This is how you get cravings. Brown rice however is a complex carb, therefore when balanced with protein will not spike your BG as severely and it takes longer to burn of giving your body a longer, more even sugar burn thereby avoiding the craving for more.

If you balance the white rice with a good amount of protein the BG spike isn't as bad, but you aren;t getting much nutritional value in it either.

And BTW... for diabetics... white rice does = death via extreme BG spikes (as does most simple carbs).
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I eat rice everyday. (white/brown/mixed grain)

Its good if you eat it with a protein but don't go all cray with it and eat just rice breakfast lunch and dinner.

p.s. I wouldn't eat it for breakfast. You'll get hungry less than an hour after consumption.
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    I generally am under in my calories MFP gives me 1300 I am lucky if I hit 1000 everyday . For my carbs I generally have between 50-100 a day so my carbs are generally under as well. I usually don't eat it because everyone is always saying how bad it is for you. But I just happened to come across articles saying it isn't bad for you, along with the others saying it is. So I figured I would ask in here to get some other opinions on it.

If you are exercising heavily it's a great complex carb source for replenishing glycogen stores. If you are couch-dieting, I'd avoid it.
  • neanderthin
    Options

*sigh* white rice is a simple carb, therefore it spikes your blood glucose. When your BG spikes it will burn off quickly leaving your body wanting another spike. This is how you get cravings. Brown rice however is a complex carb, therefore when balanced with protein will not spike your BG as severely and it takes longer to burn of giving your body a longer, more even sugar burn thereby avoiding the craving for more.

If you balance the white rice with a good amount of protein the BG spike isn't as bad, but you aren;t getting much nutritional value in it either.

And BTW... for diabetics... white rice does = death via extreme BG spikes (as does most simple carbs).
    *sigh*......I like that, thanks. White rice oh wonderful one is a complex carb, not a simple carb, and following your line of thought all fruit, being a simple carb, will cause diabetes and insulin resistance.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    White rice doesn't offer much in the way of nutrition. Brown rice gives you a good bit of fiber and some other miscellaneous vitamins/minerals. I would highly encourage you to make the switch. it takes a little getting used to, but now I like brown rice better than white.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    White rice doesn't offer much in the way of nutrition. Brown rice gives you a good bit of fiber and some other miscellaneous vitamins/minerals. I would highly encourage you to make the switch. it takes a little getting used to, but now I like brown rice better than white.

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338
  • wswilliams67
    Options

*sigh*......I like that, thanks. White rice oh wonderful one is a complex carb, not a simple carb, and following your line of thought all fruit, being a simple carb, will cause diabetes and insulin resistance.

Well since you're gonna start with the smug name calling...

I misspoke.. I meant a refined carb. And seeing as I AM a Type 2 Diabetic I think I may know a little more about what spikes blood glucose than a non-diabetic forum troll. I never once stated that white rice would cause diabetes. I said it spikes your blood glucose, which is true for anyone. No, fruits will not 'cause' diabetes nor insulin resistance either. That's just an asshat comment. But if you ARE a diabetic then yes fruits must be eaten wisely as well as some veggies.

Bottom line, the easiest way to avoid carb blood sugar spikes is to balance it with a protein. As for nutritional value... white rice sucks.

Now troll be gone!
  • Cami37
    Cami37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It all depends on who you are. I can eat both brown and white and be fine. Learn to recognize your body and what sets it off in the wrong direction.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Well since you're gonna start with the smug name calling...

I misspoke.. I meant a refined carb. And seeing as I AM a Type 2 Diabetic I think I may know a little more about what spikes blood glucose than a non-diabetic forum troll. I never once stated that white rice would cause diabetes. I said it spikes your blood glucose, which is true for anyone. No, fruits will not 'cause' diabetes nor insulin resistance either. That's just an asshat comment. But if you ARE a diabetic then yes fruits must be eaten wisely as well as some veggies.

Bottom line, the easiest way to avoid carb blood sugar spikes is to balance it with a protein. As for nutritional value... white rice sucks.

Now troll be gone!
    No, you meant simple carb, you said it twice in that post and alluded to simple carbs = death......your a perfect example of a little information is dangerous. You may also want to look a proteins insulinogenic properties, if you think protein is going to reduce that spike your referring to.