In the past 4 weeks, I have undone all progress.

Options
In the past month, I have managed to undo what I accomplished (10lb loss). Big time rapid weight gain. I feel so horrible, bloated and plain yuk. Talk about a setback, and it's completely my fault. I just haven't really done anything.

What to do? Just start over? Vow not to make the same mistake?

How to get re-motivated?

Replies

• chatswithpets
    chatswithpets Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Ruby!

Just over a month ago I restarted after 10mths of undoing everything I had achieved before. Each day of that ten months I hated myself, and then ate all the foods I shouldn't because what was the point? I was fat and gaining anyway, what was one more junkfood meal?

BUT....

I woke up oneday and decided I needed to change back to my healthy habits again. And THAT is the part that counts the most. The difference this time is I took everything I learned about myself when I was binging (and whinging) and put steps in place to avoid going to that dark place again.

I'm not going to see it as a setback, I see it as an opportunity to learn more about me, and why I failed the first time.
    I'm eating better this time around, and have gotten into good habits of meal planning, identifying my weak points and putting plans in place to lessen their impact.

My biggest one is a partner who tends to try and feed me up. I take up my ingredients to his place and cook my meals there....that's one achilles heel taken care of. ;o)

So my advice? Just start over and maybe try not to lose it too fast. Go for slow and steady. Pick a habit that is sustainable, think of it as a lifestyle change. And try not to feel bad that you fell off the wagon. You can always expect a few scraped knees when learning new habits.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hi Ruby!

Just over a month ago I restarted after 10mths of undoing everything I had achieved before. Each day of that ten months I hated myself, and then ate all the foods I shouldn't because what was the point? I was fat and gaining anyway, what was one more junkfood meal?

BUT....

I woke up oneday and decided I needed to change back to my healthy habits again. And THAT is the part that counts the most. The difference this time is I took everything I learned about myself when I was binging (and whinging) and put steps in place to avoid going to that dark place again.

I'm not going to see it as a setback, I see it as an opportunity to learn more about me, and why I failed the first time.
    I'm eating better this time around, and have gotten into good habits of meal planning, identifying my weak points and putting plans in place to lessen their impact.

My biggest one is a partner who tends to try and feed me up. I take up my ingredients to his place and cook my meals there....that's one achilles heel taken care of. ;o)

So my advice? Just start over and maybe try not to lose it too fast. Go for slow and steady. Pick a habit that is sustainable, think of it as a lifestyle change. And try not to feel bad that you fell off the wagon. You can always expect a few scraped knees when learning new habits.

Good story...great ending.
    Think a lot of us fall off every now and then,, but u have to keep getting back on. Nothing beats a failure, but a try. Hope I said that right :)
    Noticing that u need to do something is the 1st step, doing something about it is next. So don't stop there. Keep it moving. U have millions to support u here!!!
    Good luck!
  • anndelaney67
    anndelaney67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ive just gave up smoking 4th nov and i had lost 56lb on ww b4 that saw this app thought id try as was free ive also but 7lb back on in three weeks,think its the giving up smoking but also cold weather not doing the exercise and wanting stews and dumplings as so cold lol,so need motivation and help 2 ,but have woke this morning and hopefully going to get back on track good luck in your weight loss
  • obesemonster
    obesemonster Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello RUDY, FIRST THING IS TO NOT TO LABOR OVER WHAT HAS HAPPENED AS THIS DOES NO GOOD. I'M SURE YOU
    HAVE ALREADY FIGURED OUT WHAT CAUSED THE SLIP. I'VE LOST OVER 112 LBS. AND STILL HAVE ADDITIONAL 90-110
    POUNDS TO LOSE. ONE THING I CAN TELL YOU WITH 100% CERTAINTY IS THAT LOSING WT. IS DIFFICULT BUT YOU CAN PUT THE WEIGHT BACK ON IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE IF YOUR NOT CAREFUL. SO FORGIVE YOURSELF AND LET'S MOVE FORWARD INTO THE FUTURE YOU DESERVE. IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT YOU TRIPPED JUST THAT YOU PICK YOURSELF UP. I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO GET STARTED AGAIN BUT IF WE DON'T TAKE THAT FIRST STEP AGAIN WE
    WILL ALWAYS BE TRAPPED IN THESE UNWANTED CAGES/BODIES. SO RUDY, RESUME YOUR LIFE JOURNEY.
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    One foot in front of the other, one day at a time, one week at a time. If you lose one pound a week for a year, that's 72 pounds!

You have come here looking for support, that's a great first step! I have found my greatest inspiration over the past few weeks by occasionally scrolling through the success story message boards in addition to searching out women who are approximately my height and looking to lose about the same amount of weight. It has helped me to visualize an ending point because I have not been thin since high school.

Commit to getting on MFP and logging your food and exercise every single day. It is never too late to begin making a better life for yourself, you deserve it!
  • kaninasanders
    Options
    Start again! You won't lose anything if you don't, the more you try the more you'll succeed. Weight loss is like a report card for the year, not a mid point progress report, quiz or test....the whole school year:-).
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Just start again. I don't know why you got off track but maybe you tried to do too much too quickly. Start slower. Set your goals for 1lb per week loss. Don't "diet". Make a lifestyle change. If you think you're dieting you are going to think restriction and never eating junk food again. I've been on MFP for a month and have lost almost 7lbs. I still eat chocolate, chips, and soda but I do it much less often then before and they fit into my calorie goals. I don't feel I'm sacrificing anything because I'm not. Today is my dept's holiday snack day and I'm enjoying it. I'm not eating as much as I would of in the past but I'm still going to enjoy all the goodies with no guilt. This is not a sprint, this is a marathon and what happens 1day or even in 1 week does not determine the outcome.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Forget it, and start over.

Every day is a new day, that is the beauty of going to sleep! You wake up with a fresh new start, a clean sheet.

I've been maintaining for a long time now and always hover within the same 5lb range, however sometimes I go off on a mad one and don't do any exercise and I gain like crazy.

The reason I'm still at goal is because I always, always always get back on the healthy food wagon.

Include whole foods, eat three meals a day with healthy snacks, lots of water, green teas, go for walks, fit in the odd workout dvd or jog and you'll be golden.

It doesn't need to be over-complicated. Eat healthy foods that you ENJOY and not foods you think you SHOULD eat to lose weight.

You'll never see me eating a salad on its own.

You will however see me eating lots of veggies in my sandwich, making big pots of vegetable soup or veg and bean stews, eating baked potatoes and pasta and rice bulked out with veg...

Change it up and make it interesting and ACCEPT that you will ALWAYS over-indulge *sometimes*, and that is fine.

A section of your gain will be fluid retention.

MWAH xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • katesinternet
    katesinternet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Start again. You have the advantage this time of recognizing how you feel when you undo your progress. Is that unhealthy snack or habit worth how yuk you feel right now?