Frustration setting in...

So a little bit of frustration is setting in. I'll give a quick breakdown and if anyone can see anything I should reevaluate I'd appreciate it. I'm 37, over weight - 163 5'4". I quit smoking about 2.5 months ago which seems to have changed my metabolism - at least I seem less regular and experience constipation more often. I was 157 when I quit smoking.

I'm going to Mexico for xmas so was hoping to lose 6-10 pounds by then. Started 2 weeks ago (nov. 26) on a new diet, bought a treadmill and started running - from never running before in my life to 2-4 miles a day. I do have a cheat day which is Saturday, but I still don't go over 12-1400 cals that day. I've set my cal goal at 1100 this week - yes I know it less than the recommended 1200 min. I use a fitbit which shows me my 'extra' cals - I eat these if I've run for the day but don't if I get the cals from just 'existing'

My diet has been mostly vegetarian with the exception of shrimp and sushi (on a cheat day).
Aside from running, I've a added 15 minute kettle bell routine every other day....
I drink at least 8 cups of water a day - even if I don't record it.

On paper is seems like i'm doing everything correct, however I just keep ping ponging between 158 and 161 - and before you blame it on my cheat day, I'm usually 161 on friday and 158 on monday...

so confused and so frustrated. Help!

Replies

• sarahnyy51
    sarahnyy51 Posts: 23 Member
    I feel your pain :-( It could be that you are eating too few calories though. Maybe try eating little and often to try and keep your metabolism going throughout the day, and drink lots and lots of water. It seems counterintuitive but I can speak from experience and it has worked for me so far; weight loss is all about what you eat as well as the exercise side of things. Good luck and chin up :-)
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    :smile: it sounds like you are really trying. do not get discouraged. try adding fresh brewed green tea [raspberry flaverd]. I drink a gallon of it every day & it does help to start you losing again. I learned this from dr oz.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    So a little bit of frustration is setting in. I'll give a quick breakdown and if anyone can see anything I should reevaluate I'd appreciate it. I'm 37, over weight - 163 5'4". I quit smoking about 2.5 months ago which seems to have changed my metabolism - at least I seem less regular and experience constipation more often. I was 157 when I quit smoking.

I'm going to Mexico for xmas so was hoping to lose 6-10 pounds by then. Started 2 weeks ago (nov. 26) on a new diet, bought a treadmill and started running - from never running before in my life to 2-4 miles a day. I do have a cheat day which is Saturday, but I still don't go over 12-1400 cals that day. I've set my cal goal at 1100 this week - yes I know it less than the recommended 1200 min. I use a fitbit which shows me my 'extra' cals - I eat these if I've run for the day but don't if I get the cals from just 'existing'

My diet has been mostly vegetarian with the exception of shrimp and sushi (on a cheat day).
    Aside from running, I've a added 15 minute kettle bell routine every other day....
    I drink at least 8 cups of water a day - even if I don't record it.

On paper is seems like i'm doing everything correct, however I just keep ping ponging between 158 and 161 - and before you blame it on my cheat day, I'm usually 161 on friday and 158 on monday...

so confused and so frustrated. Help!
    If you're only eating 1100 calories TOTAL a day, then that's your problem. If you ate that then considered your BMR and then added your exercise calories, your NET calories would be too low.

Your BMR is 1430 (based on your stats). Add 300 (low estimate) for regular activity (work, moving around) then add exercise calories (say 400 for an hour) and now your burn is 2130. Minus 1100 that 1030 net for a conservative figure.
    The body is smarter than math. If it feels that the calories are too low, then it will lower metabolism. Lower metabolism means less calories burned................and a fitbit can't read that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vbalchick_09
    vbalchick_09 Posts: 33 Member
    Two years ago i helped a friend quit smoking he also experienced what your experiencing. The consipation and irregulare is completely normal after you quit smoking. I believe his lasted a year. Keep doing what your doing but i would eat more calories, drink water like its going out of style,continue to eat healthy. Your body is detoxing/toxic shock right now. Good luck :)
  • lavaland
    lavaland Posts: 3 Member
    No no... I set my goal at 1100 - so If my fitbit says I've worked out 300-400 cals, I'll eat those cals. I've typically don't actually eat 1100 or less than 1100 - usually 1300-1400 or whatever makes up the workout cals. I'm still a little skeptical with the fitbit, it seem a little generous for the effort.
  • I feel your pain :-( It could be that you are eating too few calories though. Maybe try eating little and often to try and keep your metabolism going throughout the day, and drink lots and lots of water. It seems counterintuitive but I can speak from experience and it has worked for me so far; weight loss is all about what you eat as well as the exercise side of things. Good luck and chin up :-)

If by eating often, you mean at least every other day, then yes. Eating every few hours DOES NOT speed up your metabolism. Decrease in metabolic rate occurs after fasting for at least 60 hours.
  • :smile: it sounds like you are really trying. do not get discouraged. try adding fresh brewed green tea [raspberry flaverd]. I drink a gallon of it every day & it does help to start you losing again. I learned this from dr oz.

Tea is great, but definitely so something just because Dr. Oz says so. He's a total quack.
  • sarahnyy51
    sarahnyy51 Posts: 23 Member
    I feel your pain :-( It could be that you are eating too few calories though. Maybe try eating little and often to try and keep your metabolism going throughout the day, and drink lots and lots of water. It seems counterintuitive but I can speak from experience and it has worked for me so far; weight loss is all about what you eat as well as the exercise side of things. Good luck and chin up :-)

If by eating often, you mean at least every other day, then yes. Eating every few hours DOES NOT speed up your metabolism. Decrease in metabolic rate occurs after fasting for at least 60 hours.

No, no, not quite what I meant. It doesn't speed it up, no, but it keeps it going. I found it helpful for energy levels and food cravings, etc.
  • I feel your pain :-( It could be that you are eating too few calories though. Maybe try eating little and often to try and keep your metabolism going throughout the day, and drink lots and lots of water. It seems counterintuitive but I can speak from experience and it has worked for me so far; weight loss is all about what you eat as well as the exercise side of things. Good luck and chin up :-)

No, no, not quite what I meant. It doesn't speed it up, no, but it keeps it going. I found it helpful for energy levels and food cravings, etc.

That part varies person to person. I find I have the most energy after fasting for 14-18 hours. I lost more when I started skipping breakfast and lunch and just ate a big dinner.
  • lavaland
    lavaland Posts: 3 Member
    Alllll righty - I'll try eating more?
    Still leery about the fitbit cals I'm 'awarded' after a workout - seem generous.
    I guess I'll have to try to find the sweet spot.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Quitting smoking hasn't changed your metabolism that isn't how the body works.

Exercise counts 5% towards losing weight, think of it as a way of looking good. Losing weight is all about being at the right deficit and starts in the kitchen.

Looking at your diary it doesn't look good at all, your diet isn't great. I would say its not good on paper at all.

Just for starters if you are planning on doing so much exercise, if you burn 500 cals on a day then you should be eating as a minimum 1700 cals that day (based on 1200 net without exercise). On days when you don't do any exercise make sure your hitting your goal.

I know its blunt but in your current routine your body isn't going to be giving up the fat at all.
  • Running burns a good amount of calories but you would benefit more from intermittent training (where the heart rate races and then slows down) I am a Licensed Zumba instructor and generally burn anywhere from 400- 800 calories in 45 minutes because of this type of training. If you do not enjoy an aerobics class run for 90 seconds then walk for 30 to 60 seconds and you can get the same affect. Find something that you enjoy that will burn a ton of calories and are you getting enough protein? I know you said you were mostly vegetarian and sometimes if you dont eat enough protein your body can store fat. Keep your head up, your doing everything right! Also, make sure you are measuring because if you went from not running to running you are most likely gaininf muscle which weighs more than fat. I found I would get to a certain point and stop losing altogether for a week or two and I was doing everything right just like you, I feel your frustration. I also found that measuring my body fat percentage (most gyms include this in your membership for free or maybe 10 bucks) every month I was seeing results and not so worried about the actual number on the scale and started noticing the results of the way my body was changing! Also, are you taking any vitamins? A healthy immune system works like it is supposed to b vitamins (b complex) help with metabolismm and make sure you are getting enough sleep! Keep at it and you will get to where you need to be! ;) Your doing a great job just dont give up!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Alllll righty - I'll try eating more?
    Still leery about the fitbit cals I'm 'awarded' after a workout - seem generous.
    I guess I'll have to try to find the sweet spot.
    Try not to look at calories as an award, or a reward. Try not to look at them as optional bonuses that if you resist, you'll be a better dieter. Your body needs energy. Yes, if you consume less than you burn, you should lose weight, but you can go too far the other way, and your body will start to adjust so that you are burning less. This is especially true is you don't have large fat stores in the first place. Yes, you're overweight, but not massively so. Larger calorie deficits are more appropriate for people who are much further from a healthy weight than you are. You just don't have the amount of fat to support that. Everyone loses some muscle mass when they lose weight, but if you have a very large calorie deficit, you risk losing more than is necessary.