TDEE accuracy

Options
how accurate is TDEE we get online? they seem to vary anywhere from 200-800calories!
in my opinion we cant work out TDEE unless its done by professionals on a daily basis ... so what is the most accurate way to work out TDEE ... this is probably the most important aspect of weight loss . knowing how many CALORIES u burn daily!

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I always do 300-400 below maintenance with me and my guys. It works. Drop 5-10% more cals when weight stops budging for 2 weeks. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    so u literally work off trial end error weekly to find maintanance?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

I start at a minimal deficit and only VERY slowly reduce calories. Doesn't take much from TDEE to lose weight.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    what TDEE calculator do u use as a base to "estimate" tdee
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    TDEE calculators are estimates- nothing is 100%
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    TDEE calculators are estimates- nothing is 100%
    id like to get as close to perfect as possible
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    what TDEE calculator do u use as a base to "estimate" tdee

Harris Benedict Equation:

http://www.calcunation.com/calculators/food and nutrition/harris-benedict.php
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I start at a minimal deficit and only VERY slowly reduce calories. Doesn't take much from TDEE to lose weight.
    Spot on.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    thanks man , ill work off that .. 2650 sounds about right
    was previously at 2330 ... dont know what to believe , but will def follow the advice and taper down slowly from there
  • AntWrig
    Options
    That is what I am doing right now. I am reverse dieting out of prep and I am slowly inching up to find my maintenance. The process takes time but the rewards are going to be great.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Get a Bodymedia Fit/Bodybugg.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Interested - why?
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    what is that?
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Those are still not accurate.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    Those are still not accurate.

More accurate than a random internet estimate.

Matt - because the poster asked "so what is the most accurate way to work out TDEE".

Chad - http://www.bodymedia.com/Products/Benefits/Calorie-Management They are essentially the same device, I just linked the description of the Bodymedia.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    A pedometer?
  • AntWrig
    Options
    A pedometer?
    Exactly, it's a glorified one at that.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    I know you guys just need to troll and that's fine, but I would hate for you to misinform someone with your arrogance. :flowerforyou:

"The bodybugg armband is more accurate than a pedometer for calculating calories burned because it is "watching" your body from four different perspectives. A pedometer only measures steps. In addition to measuring motion and steps, the armband is able to see how much you are sweating, your skin temperature and the rate at which heat is being dissipated from your body. These additional physiological parameters give the bodybugg system a more complete picture of what your body is doing and its level of exertion, all of which means a much more accurate estimation of your calories burned."
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I know you guys just need to troll and that's fine, but I would hate for you to misinform someone with your arrogance. :flowerforyou:

"The bodybugg armband is more accurate than a pedometer for calculating calories burned because it is "watching" your body from four different perspectives. A pedometer only measures steps. In addition to measuring motion and steps, the armband is able to see how much you are sweating, your skin temperature and the rate at which heat is being dissipated from your body. These additional physiological parameters give the bodybugg system a more complete picture of what your body is doing and its level of exertion, all of which means a much more accurate estimation of your calories burned."
    Lol
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    i see , interesting ... i doubt they have that in my country . ill stick to the old school