Slow and steady wins the race???

Options
I'm so used to crash dieting, fad dieting, etc.
Water fasting, slim fasting, fruit fasting...

This week I'm trying the lose one pound a week thing...
and I'm a little worried. I feel like I eat waaay too much all the time,
and still manage to be "under"
I'm afraid I'll end up gaining weight, instead of shedding it...
Can you tell me what has worked best for you, and if you can share any stories
of slowly losing pounds?

Replies

• igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is that you stick to it long term. Don't try to eat much less then what is recommended or you will crash and give up. Make sure you have enough protein and try to cut out refined carbs and you'll do great! Good luck and in four weeks you'll be four lb lighter :)
  • fearless_
    Options
    The most important thing is that you stick to it long term. Don't try to eat much less then what is recommended or you will crash and give up. Make sure you have enough protein and try to cut out refined carbs and you'll do great! Good luck and in four weeks you'll be four lb lighter :)

okay, thank you :)
  • Workoutsahn
    Options
    You probably hear this a lot, but there are a couple things to keep in mind when trying to lose weight.
    1. No matter what, a calorie is a calorie. It doesn't matter where it comes from. Eating 500 calories in cake is the same as eating 500 calories in salad.
    2. Know what your body can take when it comes to food.
    3. Don't overeat and don't try any of those miracle diets, because most of them will end up messing with your metabolism. It is better to eat a variety of healthy foods.
    It is also good to get some protien and healthy carbohydrates in your diet. If you are really trying to lose, I would stick to foods like salad, fruit, dairy, and, for extra protien, fish.
    As for exercise, do some cardio. In order to lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit in your body. Burn more calories than you take in.
    Hope this made sense and/or was helpful.
    Good luck!:smile:
  • fearless_
    Options
    You probably hear this a lot, but there are a couple things to keep in mind when trying to lose weight.
    1. No matter what, a calorie is a calorie. It doesn't matter where it comes from. Eating 500 calories in cake is the same as eating 500 calories in salad.
    2. Know what your body can take when it comes to food.
    3. Don't overeat and don't try any of those miracle diets, because most of them will end up messing with your metabolism. It is better to eat a variety of healthy foods.
    It is also good to get some protien and healthy carbohydrates in your diet. If you are really trying to lose, I would stick to foods like salad, fruit, dairy, and, for extra protien, fish.
    As for exercise, do some cardio. In order to lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit in your body. Burn more calories than you take in.
    Hope this made sense and/or was helpful.
    Good luck!:smile:

makes sense, thank you :)
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    That's right! It's scary at first, but I'm noticing improvement now compared to when I was eating net 800.

Strength train 3x a week, & cardio the other 3x with 1 rest day! Eat more on strength days & less on cardio (for instance, I eat 1600 - 1800 vs. 1400 - 1500). Natural foods will do a lot better for your health & keep you full longer than processed foods. I eat a lot more now simply because so many healthy things are low cal!

Lastly, this is a lifestyle change! It takes awhile to learn, & sometimes I have to remind myself, but this is a lifelong journey. You will get there & stay there one day. Be patient & you will be rewarded. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • MelisaDonald
    MelisaDonald Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    NOT all calories are created equal. If you eat too high a percentage of carbs, esp. in the form of sugar, starches, and grains, or if you eat too much saturated fat, you will stimulate insulin. Insulin gets rid of excess blood sugar and locks it up so you cant access it for energy. You'll be hungry soon after eating, and have little energy or focus, and possibly mood issues. Elevated insulin levels eventually result in insulin resistance causing all sorts of health issues. Eat a balance of low-fat proteins, carbs (mostly in the form of vegetables or fruit) and (preferably) monounsaturated fats (nuts, olive oil, etc) with each meal and snack. If you eat a higher fat protein, don't add fat to your meal.

Exercise is also really key. I find aerobic exercise fun but anaerobic exercise (or a combination) is more effective. Anaerobic exercise is strength training. When you build muscle (or recruit muscle fibres) you burn calories not only during exercise but you also burn calories at a higher rate for a day or two after. Also, you will burn more calories at rest in general.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    This week I'm trying the lose one pound a week thing...
    and I'm a little worried.
    That's your biggest problem...weight loss does not happen "this week" It took met two years to lose 60lbs.....But I've been keeping it off for almost four years now..... It takes time!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'm seven months in and 28 pounds down. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • fearless_
    Options
    NOT all calories are created equal. If you eat too high a percentage of carbs, esp. in the form of sugar, starches, and grains, or if you eat too much saturated fat, you will stimulate insulin. Insulin gets rid of excess blood sugar and locks it up so you cant access it for energy. You'll be hungry soon after eating, and have little energy or focus, and possibly mood issues. Elevated insulin levels eventually result in insulin resistance causing all sorts of health issues. Eat a balance of low-fat proteins, carbs (mostly in the form of vegetables or fruit) and (preferably) monounsaturated fats (nuts, olive oil, etc) with each meal and snack. If you eat a higher fat protein, don't add fat to your meal.

Exercise is also really key. I find aerobic exercise fun but anaerobic exercise (or a combination) is more effective. Anaerobic exercise is strength training. When you build muscle (or recruit muscle fibres) you burn calories not only during exercise but you also burn calories at a higher rate for a day or two after. Also, you will burn more calories at rest in general.

Thanks, I really need to watch WHAT I eat. D:
  • 165ordietrying
    165ordietrying Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Funny, I find myself thinking the same things in regard to weight maintenance. I know I need to up my calories to maintain my weight but I also have the fear that I am eating too much to level out. Great advice from everyone here.