Starting P90X tomorrow

Options
Received P90X for my birthday and will start tomorrow as well. Super excited about it!

I was looking through the literature in the packaging, and just curious...

what's everyone's favourite disc in the set?
Which one do you dread doing the most?

and then more questions about recommended equipment. I actually have a pretty well stocked home gym, but the addition of the chin-up bar intrigues me. I'm not too keen, however, on having a chinup bar stuck on my door frame or having it destroy the doorway.

So a few questions about that:
1. Is there an acceptable alternative to whatever chin-up exercises are in the videos?
2. how damaging are those bars to the doorways/frames/walls?
3. are those bars easily removable(lift and release or something similar), or do you have to deal with unscrewing, etc to release it from the doorway?

thanks for any answers you guys can provide!

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I hated kenpox thought it was crap, just not my thing.

love core synergistics though.

I got carpet burn from one of the workouts (i think triceps chest and biceps), it was a plyo push up thing.

B/c of the type of workout it is, there is no alternative to the chin up bar. Even those using the bands still have it attached to the chin up bar.
    I have the bar attached to my door frame. It's permanently there, and only has 3 screws on each side holding it. The type of bar I have it's easily removalable and would only require a small bit of putty to cover up the screw hole.
  • PremierFiguier
    Options
    Thank you for the information! I guess I'll have to break down and get one, then.

I can tell I'm really going to like this. I'm a huge fan of structure, and used to be an avid exerciser/very clean eater. I fell off HARD(like a ton of bricks) in the last year.

just got finished doing the fitness test it tells you that you must pass in order to safely do the program. Passed with flying colours, and exceeded most of the minimums by far! I'm in surprisingly good shape for a fat girl, I guess. lol

I can't wait to get started! Starting with the Lean program, then will do the Classic and (hopefully) the Doubles successively in 90 day blocks. Tomorrow is my 35th birthday, so I can't think of a better time to start.
  • captchip40
    Options
    I have a pull up bar that just hooks on to the door jam, no drilling no screws and removes easily. I use it mostly for abs but it is fine for pull-up and more.

It's a Gold's Gym model and I got it at Wal-mart. 100% satisfied with it. Her is a link.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Door-Gym-with-DVD/12177351
  • PremierFiguier
    Options
    thanks! nice to know there's a good cheap option. I have a gold's gym treadmill that I've had for 5 years(4 years of that was very regular use), and am very happy with - so the brand is one I've come to trust.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have that Gold's Gym model, it's very sturdy and has held up well through 1.5 rounds of P90X (I'm in the middle of my second round). The foam is really wearing out....tearing with some holes. I'd put tape around the foam to keep that from happening. Good luck and keep pushing play!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I do plan on doing p90x again next year.

I did it as a hybrid with turbofire and running before starting insanity the asylum.

Good luck with it. It is a great program (expect kenpo which imo sucks), and I'm looking forward to doing it again.
  • PremierFiguier
    Options
    5 days in, and I am loving this program! I see now why everyone gets so intensely excited about it!
    My clothes are already fitting better, and I feel wonderful.

So far, my favourite workout, without a doubt, is the Arms & Shoulders workout. That's always been my strength, so I thought it might end up being that way for me.

Worst, BY FAR, is the Yoga X. I've never liked Yoga, and this makes me hate it more. lol
    Still doing it, though! It's important.

I also started a daily P90X MFP blog, but it's viewable to friends only. If anyone is interested in friending me/reading it, just send me a message with your friend request.
    If you're interested in the program, or going through it yourself, it might help to get my take on it day by day.

* note that I am not a P90X "coach", nor do I intend on being one. This is purely for information, and my blog is ON MFP.
  • jeffrypaul
    Options
    The chin-ups/pull-ups were really hard for me, and Tony doesn't really show you how to properly use the chair.

Check out these videos for the proper use of a chair to help you strengthen your back:
    Option 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HHZAnKFD-U
    Option 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SluqGShKncc

Since my pull-up bar is temporarily mounted in a standard sized doorway, this is how I do them:
    1. Place the chair near the pull-up bar so the chair seat facing the pull-up bar.
    2. Stand on the chair and place your hands on the pull-up bar.
    3. Hang from the pull up bar, leaving only your toes on the chair. You will look like you're in a kneeling position.
    4. Do pull-ups, using your toes to give you extra lift as needed.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I ordered P90X last Friday and I am hoping to get it by the end of the week. Any tips or advise on getting started properly with this program?
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I did it once before but only got to 30 days before I lost interest. I started again on the 4th, so I just completed my first week yesterday! My favorite was (and still is) Kenpo. Legs and Back kill me but I like that one too. I'll be doing X Stretch tonight instead of just having a rest day because my legs still feel a little tight.

Good Luck!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    what's everyone's favourite disc in the set?
    Which one do you dread doing the most?

and then more questions about recommended equipment. I actually have a pretty well stocked home gym, but the addition of the chin-up bar intrigues me. I'm not too keen, however, on having a chinup bar stuck on my door frame or having it destroy the doorway.

1. Is there an acceptable alternative to whatever chin-up exercises are in the videos?
    3. are those bars easily removable(lift and release or something similar), or do you have to deal with unscrewing, etc to release it from the doorway?

Worst exercise video is Yoga X, its an hour and a half and there is no need to have a video be that long.. I swapped it after a month and a half with cardio x.
    Favorite might be Plyo X, it was pretty crazy.. that or Back + Biceps.

I got a pull up bar from Amazon that just goes in the door frame, no screws or anything in the walls.. and I put wash cloths on the sides so it doesn't scuff the walls or the trim.. I also use a chair when I can't do them manually anymore.. when I want to take it down I just lift up and pull it down.. no problems
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Worst exercise video is Yoga X, its an hour and a half and there is no need to have a video be that long.. I swapped it after a month and a half with cardio x.
    Favorite might be Plyo X, it was pretty crazy.. that or Back + Biceps.

Yes! I totally agree with the Yoga. I substitute Tony Horton's One On One Fountain of Youth. It's about 45 minutes long. I'll work my way up to Yoga X. I get 45 min in and I'm bored and I'm done, lol
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I start p90x in the new year, as i am just finishing up Chalean Extreme... I am pumped and now even more so seeing that you are noticing changes in the first week even! Kudos to you!
  • peejay34mason
    peejay34mason Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have been doing P90X since June and L O V E it. Tony will kick your butt, however, in the best of ways!!! I absolutely love Plyometrics.

The yoga I can really do without. I have started and not finished the disc more time than I can count.
  • Nice
    Nice Posts: 84
    Options
    I hated the yoga..and hour and a half long..makes me want to punch someone in the face
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Dont skip the Yoga. Push through. It helps more than you can imagine if done right. If you just stand there it is boring but if you actually go through and push through each one then you will get a more intense workout than the others and the benefits are unbelievable.

When I started I could barely touch my toes, now it is amazing how much more flexible I am.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing with P90X for me was the time commitment. I only got through a few weeks before I lost interest. I liked the results I was getting, but I was finding that I had to commit 90 minutes or more on most days. I still have the discs and may pick it up once again, as soon as I clear out a workout space in the basement!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I just skip the yoga disc. I am not a fan of yoga to start. Tried it once. It was too long and hated it. I just go to the next disc. Although I am not doing true P90X since I am doing it every other day with running on opposite days.

I love the kenpo (even though I have to think about the punch combos) and plyo (it has helped my running). I also like all the weight ones except the pull-ups/push-ups dvd.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I sent you a note as well.

yes, there are exercises you can do with bands
    I've had mine for 3 years or more with no issues
    just lift off - very easy

I hated Plyo the first time around as well as Yoga - I eventually switched the 90 min yoga with a one on one - Fountian of youth (45 min)
    It changed me - Since Ive done it 3 times, P90X2, Turbo Fire, Insanity Asylum, Hip Hop Abs. The list goes on. You will love it. Go at your pace and don't forget your before pictures!
  • emcohen
    Options
    I agree with everybody...the Yoga X sucks the most. However, for balance, flexibility and core strength it really is important. I also find it makes me break a sweat more than any other.

As for the chin-up bars, I have one of the removable ones but it doesn't work in my new apartment! The door frames are all weird. Anyway, I got bands that came with a door attachment. It definitely doesn't give you the same work out as the actual pull ups but it's still working my back.