Strong Lifts for Weight Loss???

Options

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am so very happy I put my emphasis on lifting vs cardio. I do cardio, just not nearly as much as lifting.

And you cannot rely on the scale if you do that. There are many times I stagnate or even gain but my ring falls off or my pants even with my now useless belt at it's tightest notch.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I guess I am worried that the scale may stall. But then again since I do have a lot of weight to lose, so is it possible to see success on the scale too?

^ My scale has only moved 1 lb in MONTHS BUT this morning I am wearing pants 2 sizes smaller than I wore 6 months ago -- I started SL in July sporadically and the in Sept really paid attention to the program, I have added more lifts - but Squats and DLs are changing my shape and like Sidesteeel said giving me more sexy pants!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I guess I am worried that the scale may stall. But then again since I do have a lot of weight to lose, so is it possible to see success on the scale too?

^ My scale has only moved 1 lb in MONTHS BUT this morning I am wearing pants 2 sizes smaller than I wore 6 months ago -- I started SL in July sporadically and the in Sept really paid attention to the program, I have added more lifts - but Squats and DLs are changing my shape and like Sidesteeel said giving me more sexy pants!

My question is that I don't really care what the scale says, but I'd like to lower my BF%... so did you do this with a deficit or maintenance?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts can be rough when on a deficit but do it anyway. When it starts getting REALLY hard and you stop progressing switch to 3x5.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Deficit for sure.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you changed the name of this thread to Strong Lifts for Fat Loss you'd be getting on the right track. Lifting is going to help you lose the type of weight you actually want to lose. That is, if having an attractive physique is the type of thing that appeals to you.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options

My question is that I don't really care what the scale says, but I'd like to lower my BF%... so did you do this with a deficit or maintenance?

This is my question too. I dont' care about the number on the scale, I'd like to drop my BF....
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting I went 3 months at maintenance before changes in body comp and increase in weight being lifted stalled. At that point I still had some fat to lose, so I went deficit until I reached ~12% And then switched to surplus. During the deficit I could not increase the weight I was lifting. When I went to surplus, I quickly raised it.
  • kanislupus
    Options
    I have about 40 lbs to lose and I started stronglifts a month ago...I haven't lost any weight (i've been plateaued for months now) but I'm definitely losing inches and building muscle..go for it I'd say
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started Strong Lifts this week. Im hoping really to preserve muscle that I already have while being in a deficit. I have about 60lbs to lose.

I like the plan layout - simple and the app is a great tool!

Im also changing my diet to a more protein-dense/lower carb diet [Keto] just to help things along. I still lose with whole grain carbs but it's slower.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm in Stage 3 of NROLW. While the program is very good and I've seen great strength gains with it, I'm switching to Stronglifts or maybe even a Starting Strength program when this stage is done. My reason is I get kinda sick of the body weight stuff and the more exotic exercises. (I have trouble with the umpteen lunges because I have so much hip pain.) Stronglifts and Starting Strength look to be far more straight-forward and focused on simple, compound moves with weights.
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like the plan layout - simple and the app is a great tool!

What app? Where can I get it?
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I downloaded it from the Apple store but its available through the website stronglifts.com as well.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you wanna have a nice body after the flubber is gone...lift...lift..lift... I see new muscles poking out from under the fat abyss monthly.. :drinker: :drinker: You just have to be patient on the fat loss..sometimes its stubborn and wants to hold on for dear life...but don't let that stop you..

besides physical attributes...lifting is really important for bone density in women.. and we need that ..

I prefer Strong lifts...I just like it cut and dry..without the confusion of New Rules..just comes down to if you get bored or not..and like to change it up...then New Rules will be better for you!

Oh! and I needed to add this..PLEASE PLEASE..dont go by the scale all the time.. when you weight train..funny things can happen with that scale..just go by measurements and size. I am 20 pounds more than I was the last time I lost weight..but in the same size clothing...if that makes sense?
  • OmegaGator
    OmegaGator Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    cardio after lifting is much more beneficial, can provide articles if needed.

Please provide them, I would like to read them. PM if possible, please and thank you!
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i feel like an idiot asking this but does

strong">Deficit

mean

strong is equal to or greater than deficit?

if not, can someone please educate my stupidness?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

strong">Deficit

mean

Not sure what the question is. Strong Lifts is a functional strength training program similar to Starting Strength. It consists of full body, compound lifts 3x weekly...I believe SL is 5x5 while Starting Strength is 3x5. These can be somewhat challenging at a deficit and you don't get (at least I don't) the same strength gains you could get at maintenance or a small surplus because your body doesn't have the requisite fuel for full recovery. That said, these are great programs even while on a weight loss deficit as they preserve LBM and you still make some pretty substantial strength gains. Preservation of LBM aids in fat loss.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options

strong">Deficit

mean

Not sure what the question is. Strong Lifts is a functional strength training program similar to Starting Strength. It consists of full body, compound lifts 3x weekly...I believe SL is 5x5 while Starting Strength is 3x5. These can be somewhat challenging at a deficit and you don't get (at least I don't) the same strength gains you could get at maintenance or a small surplus because your body doesn't have the requisite fuel for full recovery. That said, these are great programs even while on a weight loss deficit as they preserve LBM and you still make some pretty substantial strength gains. Preservation of LBM aids in fat loss.
    No I know what strong lifts is. I thought it was saying something about calorie deficit for some reason. I'm currently in my first week of SL and am playing around with my calorie goals and was debating deficit vs maint 
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I started two years ago on Body For Life. That included Lifting three times a week and doing 20 minutes of HIIT training (cardio) the other two days. I didnt follow the eating plan. Infact I ate the same as what I was before I started. I lost 25 kilos and alot of inches. That book set me up with the basics lifting wise. it wasnt complicated and it had good pictures on form.

Im now doing a linear programme lifting 5x5 but BFL got me to where I am today.

Definitely lift and start now. dont over complicate things to start off with. Start basic if its to all over the place you will give up.
  • lepanto
    lepanto Posts: 28 Member
    Options

strong">Deficit

mean

If I understand your question correctly, the answer might be that to lose weight you need to have a caloric deficit and you need to have a surplus to gain a lot of muscle. With a deficit you likely won't gain a lot of muscle but you can gain strength, and lifting while at a deficit should help maintain lean body mass.

Is this a correct answer folks? I don't want to be spreading mis-information and I am in the process of learning about all of this myself!