I am ALWAYS HUNGRY

Options
I am always hungry! Anyone have suggestions for really filling foods that are healthy? Or advice on why I'm so starving?

thanks!

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, oh and protein :wink:
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    What are your calorie goals?
    Up your fibre and protein.
    Drink lots of water
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein, fiber, and up your calories from 1200 to 1300-1400 so you can actually have more food.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Veggies... you can eat TONS of them for very few calories... BIG plate of veggies with a little cheese sauce to help them go down... yummy healthy dinner!
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I only saw one day of your diary, but I would say eat more 'real' food. Snacks aren't satisfying and you'll want to go looking for more. For instance a nice chicken breast with a salad and cooked vegetables for dinner A good breakfast of oatmeal or healthy egg dish. It can be tricky fitting food into 1200 cals a day but with practice it can be done.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Protein, fibre, water and to a lesser extent fat fill you up. Base your day around nine servings of non starchy vegetables and low sugar fruits (whole not juice) in the full rainbow of colours which is a LOT of food, protein and fat little and often you should be full. Avoid sugar and white/ refined carbs, they cause your blood sugar to peak and trough making you more hungry - keep processed/ junky snacks to no more than 10% of daily calories, you are way over that at present - on Monday you had 600 calories of cookies and chocolate!

There is no way you can get all the nutrients you need for health in the other 700 calories you consumed. The day is also virtually vegan, if you want to eat like that you must research and make it balanced. I don't see dairy or a suitable vegetarian replacement, maybe one serving of bright/ dark coloured fruits and veggies. If you are deficient in nutrients your body can demand more food to try to make up the shortfall.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Mary,

Couple of things that may help:

1. Drop the sugar from your diet. Sugar causes the Blood Sugar to spike, when it drops your body gets hungry to raise your blood sugar again.

2. Eat whole fruits instead of Juice. Fruit contains Fiber that helps to fill you up.

3. Increase your protien intake. If you do not eat meat, look at Low Fat/Non Fat Dairy as an option as well as bean / peanut butter and so on.

4. Look for foods that have less empty calories. The less processed foods you eat, the fewer calories are in a larger portion. Try Fruit and LOTS of Veggies.

5. Eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

You may also want to confirm your calorie level. Don't try for the 2 lbs a week, start with 1/2 pound and work your way up to 1 to 2 lbs as your body gets used to having less food.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Veggies... you can eat TONS of them for very few calories... BIG plate of veggies with a little cheese sauce to help them go down... yummy healthy dinner!

This. Add some veggies to everything: slices of tomato, cucumber, red peppers on sandwiches, raw carrots for snacking, a side salad at dinner, half a plate of veggies at dinner, chopped left-over veggies into a can of soup, etc. It'll fill you up.
  • krowanvil
    krowanvil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have found a protien powder (140 cals) mixed with unsweetened almond milk (30 cals for 8 oz) after breakfast helps with morning hunger.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I heard people that only eat 1200 cals are never hungry and most people are quite satisfied. Rule of thumb is when you are hungry you should exercise.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    You have a diet that contains a lot of simple-ish sugars (such as fruit juices, oreos etc) causing glucose crashes. Cut them out, expect less hunger.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    You have a diet that contains a lot of simple-ish sugars (such as fruit juices, oreos etc) causing glucose crashes. Cut them out, expect less hunger.

This.

Low-carb diets help with hunger. It's still hard though, make no mistake. I keep waiting for a safe and effective appetite suppressant.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Right, because six 200 cal meals will leave you stuffed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You may need more calories. 1200 is as low as MFP will go. If you are truly hungry, you should eat. In general try to eat more good fats and protein.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

This.

Low-carb diets help with hunger. It's still hard though, make no mistake. I keep waiting for a safe and effective appetite suppressant.

That depends on the person. If I don't have any carbs, it's like I didn't even eat. Carbs fill me up way better than protein, unless it's fatty protein, of course.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Right, because six 200 cal meals will leave you stuffed.

:laugh:

Yeah, I would much rather have a nice 600 calorie meal than three 200 calorie snacks. Again, this one depends on the person.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Eat more food, 1200 calories per day sucks
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Mary,

Couple of things that may help:

1. Drop the sugar from your diet. Sugar causes the Blood Sugar to spike, when it drops your body gets hungry to raise your blood sugar again.

2. Eat whole fruits instead of Juice. Fruit contains Fiber that helps to fill you up.

3. Increase your protien intake. If you do not eat meat, look at Low Fat/Non Fat Dairy as an option as well as bean / peanut butter and so on.

4. Look for foods that have less empty calories. The less processed foods you eat, the fewer calories are in a larger portion. Try Fruit and LOTS of Veggies.

You may also want to confirm your calorie level. Don't try for the 2 lbs a week, start with 1/2 pound and work your way up to 1 to 2 lbs as your body gets used to having less food.

This is really good advice for trying to lose a lot of weight quickly. Although, I did the 2lbs per week for a couple of months @ 1200 calories, and I was fine. The key was focusing on protein and fiber-rich foods that were low in carbs (mainly sugars)...and also reduced my sodium a lot. If you are ambitious to lose a lot of weight fast and want to not sabotage your body after you go back to maintenance weight, you want to really focus on natural foods.
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You would be amazed at how much drinking water really fends off the hunger pains/pangs. I drink 3-4 liters a day and it helps tremendously.

Side note: Never drink calories, except milk (if you're into that, that is.)