Can you go to the ER for a toothache?

Options

Replies

• shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they do have an emergency dentist on call...or here they do anyways.
    At the very least i'd think they'd get you started on some antibiotics and perhaps some pain meds, they also may be able to refer you to somewhere that can help. I'm not sure if someone already mentioned it but often you can also go to the University and the dental students will do it (they're under full supervision at all times by a certified dentist.) Best of luck, do get it treated right away though!!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Wow hungry people are grumpy in the morning!

What does it matter if she made a thread to ask a question. People ask for relationship advice on here and practically use this site exclusively as a dating site and you're all gonna attack this poor girl for asking a questions that's at least related to health. I think some of you people need chocolate and baked goods.

Anyway OP I understand being a poor student. Is it possible for you to see someone on campus? I don't have dental either and haven't had to have an major procedures done, luckily. A lot of people don't have dental insurance but perhaps dentists have a way of making it more affordable? Like paying over a period of months, or whatever?

I assume it's day time now so maybe you can call a dentist and figure that out? Try buying some numbing stuff for the time being. Getting the tooth pulled may be an expense but you obviously can't live like this and I'm sure you're not the first person to come through there that has financial issues so I bet they can work something out

Tooth pain is the worst !
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually, most ER's won't give you anything for a toothache. The reason? Addicts who go to the ER looking for a prescription for pain meds most often complain about toothaches. Why? Because ERs are generally not equipped to handle dental emergencies.

Another reason to end the drug war. Tooth aches are the worst.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would not.

It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more $$ out of yer wallet compared to an emergency apt at your dentist. Or any dentist.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Jeez some of you folks are meanies. So sorry you are in pain. YES the ER will help you. They can Rx pain killers and Antibiotics. You will need to get to the dentist tho. Even if the Abx make you feel better.

My hope is that you are at the dentist right now.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford to see a dentist how do you think you can afford the ER? If you walked into our ER with a toothache we'd all hate you.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I will never understand why dental problems, which can kill you, are not considered medical.

Agreed! I don't understand why we can't purchase comprehensive insurance. America really sucks when it comes to being able to take responsibility for our own health.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Wait until your face swells up like a watermelon then go to the ER, they should give you something for the pain then.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hanging around to argue the point on MFP. Not a true emergency, so the ER is inappropriate.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford to see a dentist how do you think you can afford the ER? If you walked into our ER with a toothache we'd all hate you.

Maybe they're Canadian. Which would mean it's free.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I'll pull it for you.....Ive got some bourbon and vice grips......Let me know if you are interested.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Hanging around to argue the point on MFP. Not a true emergency, so the ER is inappropriate.

Yep, nothing says "I love you" like making someone in pain feel worse than they already do! :noway:
  • madworld1
    Options

That's nice. Anyone with any medical knowledge is aware that toothaches can be a result of a severe infection which can be life threatening. Furthermore, some people don't have a choice. Hopefully judgmental individuals will never have to go through such worries. I'm not for people abusing the ER system, but sounds like she has a legitimate medical issue.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    My ER visit for food poisoning cost me $1,800, if I'd waited a few hours and gone to my family doctor it would have cost me my $25 copay.

Go to your dentist, get it fixed, get your teeth cleaned and start flossing.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Maybe they're Canadian. Which would mean it's free.

:grumble: :grumble:
  • rek10
    rek10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    in my experience the ER will see you and likely prescribe a Antibiotic to clear the infection. though that is pointless if you don't intend on having the tooth pulled... there are places you can go that are decently priced(perhaps not your dentist, but a dentist) i know a couple years ago it was something under $100. and if your able to afford a ER visit and the Prescription.... shouldn't be to difficult to manage considering your mouth is very important to your health.

P.S.- did not read all the replys....
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Who give a sh** who you hate? I am assuming you are saying you are a medical professional. Aren't you supposed to really care that people are in pain?
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    Does your city/town have a dental clinic that does extraction based off income? Im also a student (I now have dental insurance...extrememly expensive) but I would go to the local dental clinic and it would cost me roughly $25 to have dental work done, income based tho.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

If they had a look at my tooth they would be able to see that half the tooth has broken off and it is swollen all around the edges...

It's called being a student?
    Do you have someone you can see on campus? Not sure if you're at a University but often times they offer services at a very reduced or no cost even.

In the meantime, though my response is likely a bit later than you needed... what about gargling, sometimes that can temporarily help the pain, warm salt water gargling, it helps clean up the area temporarily. But don't drink it, ew...

Hope you get this figured out ASAP... I know that type of pain and it sucks, sounds though like yours is far worse than mine.
  • chelsiesapp
    Options
    You can, but it would be a waste of money because all they're going to give you is something you could buy at a drug store. I would recommend putting a hot rag on the side of your jaw near the toothache, swishing with saltwater, and using some extra strength Oragel until you can get to a dentist.