How do you eat your vegetables?

Options
I love the fact that you can eat SOOOOOO many vegetables and have still so many calories left, even when your belly is stuffed to the max. Everybody eats their vegetables different and while many of us enjoy our vegetables fresh and raw, others cook them or buy them already pre-cooked in cans. Also, what type of things do you mix vegetables in?

I watched this show about this girl who ONLY eats raw vegetables. She will not touch ANYTHING else. Now, maybe that's a little too far because I can't imagine ONLY eating raw vegetables and never having anything different but I do love me some raw veges.

Would you ever do what she did? Strictly eating raw vegetables for years? I mean, sure. You'd get use to it. But you'd be so controlled by it. And control can be a good thing but not this controlled. She litarely wouldn't spend time with family because they'd try to make her eat other things. She couldn't spend time with friends either. She was afraid of the pressure. Her and her family didn't eat dinner together anymore because the dad and daughter would eat whatever. She even still cooked all the yummy foods for them.

Replies

• jhall585
    Options
    Love to steam them, and add sriacha!
  • jhall585
    Options
    I also like to add dill pickle chips to my veggie mixes. Weird but I dig it.
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Curried Cauliflower puree pure indulgence but so low cal (i use WW creme fraiche)
    Celeriac puree with a splash of Worcester sauce.
    Oven roasted Mediterranean vegetables
    Coleslaw with minimal low fat mayo

Baked, steamed, poached, whole and raw

Vegaholic but only when served with a bit of meat.
    :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Most of mine are just steamed/boiled from frozen. There are only a few that I eat raw: carrots, celery, and broccoli.
  • laurainparis
    laurainparis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    -I eat alot of salads with Bolthouse Farms creamy yogurt dressing (bleu, caesar, or ranch)

-I love roasted vegetables, especially asparagus

-Steamed or roasted brussed sprouts with dijon mustard

-I had a giant can of green beans to eat, so I discovered green beans with lite ranch dressing is a nice side dish

-I buy frozen or jarred roasted red peppers (try Archer Farms (Target) frozen roasted peppers) and add them to pasta dishes. They have so few calories!
  • bootsandfros
    bootsandfros Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    curry cabbage is good. i normally eat my veggies with rice or on top of my salad.

i tried to go raw before but it really hurt my stomach so i stopped. i cook regular food for my family and i just eat the sides. i don't like meat but i don't push it on anyone else. there are always side dishes or a salad i can indulge in at ANY function and there are times when i'll have a small piece of meat.
  • hitstuff
    hitstuff Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Anything and everything wrapped in foil and baked- drizzled with olive oil and lemon pepper....maybe garlic. Love it...make big foil packs with all the veggies I have. Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, onion, green beans, sweet potato. Top with some plain greek yogurt and ends up being on of my fave meal options.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I heat up frozen vegetables in the microwave, and eat them with salt and pepper. Not sexy, but it gets the job done.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I love veggies - I'll try them any way I can - variety is good!

I frequently have them raw with lunch. I often steam them at supper. I like them pureed into soups. And when I have a little extra time - roasting them is awesome.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I heat up frozen vegetables in the microwave, and eat them with salt and pepper. Not sexy, but it gets the job done.

OMG ME TOO
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

OMG ME TOO

In that case, I guess it is kinda sexy.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Roasted...or sauteed in a skillet with brown rice and chicken
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

OMG ME TOO

In that case, I guess it is kinda sexy.

Geez....get a room already!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Eating nothing but raw vegetables isn't a matter of willpower, it's a highly questionable practice. It is unhealthy physically, and *may* indicate some sort of eating disorder, especially since if it is interfering with this woman's life in the ways you describe. Eating a raw, or mostly raw, diet can be healthy and sustainable, but involves eating much more than just vegetables, for example, many raw foodists diets include fruits, nuts, seeds, and soaked grains. You just can't get everything your body needs from just raw vegetables.

Also, it is worth noting that some vegetables, like spinach, are actually better for you cooked, since your body absorbs fewer micro-nutrients when it is raw (this doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it raw, it's not bad for you, it's just not as good).

As for me, I mostly eat my veggies raw, in the form of a big salad everyday. But I also love cooked vegetables. My favorite easy vegetable preparation is roasted, just toss broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus , etc. in a little olive oil and put in the oven around 400. I like to add garlic and chili flakes for flavor, but you could add something else, or nothing at all. I also really like broccoli steamed with nutritional yeast and a little olive oil on top.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I usually just steam them. When I have them raw it's usually as 'toppings' on something like a sandwich, or in a salad. I usually buy them fresh, although I've been thinking doing so is kind of a waste since I will be steaming them anyway. I've heard of people who only eat them raw, it's an off-shoot of veganism. I don't really see the downside to cooking, I suppose some nutrients steam out when you cook them but since I steam them in the rice cooker whatever cooks out usually ends of falling into the grain I'm making in the lower section so I guess it's not that big of a loss.
  • gemmalu
    gemmalu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Always have raw veg to hand for snacks but love steamed veg on dinner. With salt and pepper :-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I love roasting them. Peel and cut up pretty much any root veggie, toss in olive oil, throw in a few cloves of garlic, cracked pepper, onions, rosemary, throw on a baking-sheet and roast for 40-50 minutes at 400 degs, turning once or twice during.

I usually use Sweet potatoes, potatoes and carrots, but works with turnip, parsnips, etc.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Raw with a bit of hummus, steamed in my rice cooker, or roasted with a bit of olive oil. Yum!
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    With a fork .
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Soups, smoothie, stew/ casserole, in pasta sauce, stuffed and roasted, huge mixed salad, raw with dips, Thai stir fries, south Asian curries, stir fried or steamed with cheese sauce on. Basically always with a sauce.

That girl has an eating disorder IMO, raw veg does not supply you with all the nutrients you need for optimal health. Anorexics often get pleasure preparing food for others they would never eat themselves.