Warrior Dash 2013

Options
I am prepping myself for it. Don't get me wrong, I know I can do it, but my goal is to place in the top 3... Yup... I am very competitive.

Are there any extremists out there that had done the warrior dash and if so, did you make your goal?

I seen that the one I am going to attend this upcoming August showed the times of this years run.

6 min miles while doing an obstacle course is some true warrior stuff there!

Anyone have pics that they would like to throw up here as well?:drinker:

http://www.warriordash.com/results/2012_New_Jersey_Sat_AG.htm

Replies

• bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Mikey!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Wait a min... Dont you have to have all teeth to participate? Oh Jovani Jovani..
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    This better for you.. pumpkin?? or as my kids say it "punkin"?
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    You got this Mikey! Just have fun! Do some trail running, get used to running on rougher terrain.

ETA: ( I have pictures to post, but they are huge. need to resize at home first)
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    You got this Mikey! Just have fun! Do some trail running, get used to running on rougher terrain.

ETA: ( I have pictures to post, but they are huge. need to resize at home first)

good idea, I got spots to do that too!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    i did the warrior dash last year and have signed up again for 2013. I was not competitive, i was in it for the fun! But I also just got done running a half marathon a week prior :) B
    ut I would run a lot of trail runs. Run 5-6 miles on trails, rougher surfaces. I would also when you are running, drop down and do some arm crawls, anything to break up the pure running. It looks like by your pic you are probably in pretty good shape, so getting it done probably won't be a problem.. Good luck!
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    i did the warrior dash last year and have signed up again for 2013. I was not competitive, i was in it for the fun! But I also just got done running a half marathon a week prior :) But I would run a lot of trail runs. Run 5-6 miles on trails, rougher surfaces. I would also when you are running, drop down and do some arm crawls, anything to break up the pure running. It looks like by your pic you are probably in pretty good shape, so getting it done probably won't be a problem.. Good luck!

thank you! I know I can handle it... and I love the prep ideas! I will be focusing on doing some hilly runs and may take my 10 year old with me and run through the woods behind the house. We have plenty of acres and a river that runs behind the house... love the input you and Dawn gave!
  • Dyana82
    Options
    I have signed up for Warrior Dash Michigan in July 2013. I signed up to get myself motivated to lose weight. I started Aug 1st. I stopped drinking pop and tracking my calories and stopped eating processed food. I go to a Zumba class 3-4 times a week. I have lost about 25lbs. I started at 253lbs and now I'm at 228lbs. I hoping to be around 175-185 by July. I have tried running and I hate it. My goal is to run a 5k, but I'm not sure.....I'm not going to give up!
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    I'm not sure of this is similar to the tough mudder run; if it is, in the tough mudder website they have training plans. It my help, been starting them myself for the 2013 Carolina run.
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    I did look at their (warriordash.com) site and saw a workout plan. I think I will create a tougher plan. Now learning from someone who has done the run, I may have to go soley for the experience (which will still be 100% worth it). They suggested the first wave to try to beat the course since nothing will be too muddy and no one would be in my way. The guys from work are choosing the 6th wave, I am sure people from the first wave will still be on the course.
  • mulsas
    mulsas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My wife and I did it last year, and already signed up again for next summer. We were in maybe the 5th or 6th wave when we did, and by the time we hit the course, there were sections that were a total sloppy mess. We had gotten some rain the in the days leading up to it, so that didn't help. We probably walked one-third of it, just because it was too slippery to even run. I felt sorry for the people that went in the afternoon, it must have been way worse.
  • Southernbelle90
    Options
    I'm running in the Chicago one this year! Excited :P
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    If you are going strictly for a time you would pretty much have to be in the first wave, and at the front. There were many obstacles that get clogged up with people and you have to wait. I really suggest for your first one, soak up the experience, have fun! Then you will really know what to expect and the next one you could go more for speed.
  • WillHaz
    Options
    The Warrior Dash is Awesome! I definitely wasn't in the top, I finished in about 45 minutes which i think was double the time of the guys who finished first. It was a ton of fun though. I would totally recommend doing it with a group of people. I think that it enhances the experience. Even though I wasn't in the top, I am looking at doing a tougher longer race, maybe a Tough Mudder, or Spartan race.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have never done it, but I am training for the Spartan Sprint, and would also like to do the Warrior Dash in 2013. Check out the site for the the Spartan races, they have Workouts of the Day that will help. It is free and they email them to you.
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Do some trail running, get used to running on rougher terrain.

This!!!

I did a Rebel Race last month, and I ran trails to prep. My goal was just to do it and finish it, which I did. The trail run was a HUGE help. Plus, it really got me "into" running (or jogging at a moderate pace lol).

Good luck!
  • dominica_maria
    dominica_maria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i am running in the one i PA in august 2013 !! i am PUMPED. i just started training last night.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I did one in PA a couple of years ago and it was absolutely the most fun I've ever had. After we finished, I wanted to go straight back to the start and doing it again. It was like living out a childhood dream of being on Guts or something haha. I did it with a couple of friends and we were definitely non-competitive and just in it for the fun. The guys who were in it to win it were in the first wave. They were probably 10 beers deep before we even crossed the finish line line haha. It was so fun. It should be on everyone's bucket list. I'm signing up for Tough Mudder in Virginia Beach in June and I am so excited.
  • kimie1012
    kimie1012 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did the Dash in 2011. Unfortunatly I had injured myself about a month prior - pulled tendon in my foot. But even still I decided to do the race, but walked the whole thing. I was able to do all the obstacles but one - the wall. It was a painful trek, BUT I finished! I would suggest an early run. The later in the day you run, the worse the course.... and if it rains... major mess. Fun, but mess. The race I did was upfill the majority of the time - so that depends on location. But I suggest prep yourself with uphill runs as well as trails/uneven gournd. This ain't no treadmill or sidewalk.. Also strength training for the obstacles. climbing up rope walls when others are on it too can put a lot of work on the arms/shoulders. Oh... and learn to crawl and keep your butt down. They use reall barbed wire and it does cut and snag things.

I ahve signed up for a run in 2013. My foot is healed and I'm working to beat my time. Granted my goal isn't as comptetive as yours. My time walking for the course in 2011 was 1hr 15mins. But again I was injured, knowing what I know now... wouldn't suggest doing it. But I think you can do it! Set a goal and go for it! Start getting your body ready now. Its more than just running, a lot more upper body is used. Godd luck!
  • MikeyD1280
    Options
    thanks Kimie!

I am familiar with the strength parts, When I was in the army we had to run an obstacle course then. I built my son who is 9 now, a complex monkey bar system that turns, goes upward, straight then back down. I got the idea from the longest tough mudder that was shown on travel tv. I will be trying to do that in 2014, the 13.1 mile tough mudder in New Jersey. I am amped and I believe that I will go soley for the experience. I done research to see that to place time, first wave is critical.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!