time to make a change

Options
Hello everyone! I'm new to MFP and I hope I did the right thing by joining this site. I have to admit I'm still a little hesitant being open with my weight and asking for help. I don't have a lot of encouragement at home and my parents are enablers when it comes to buying all the wrong foods. I'm happy to say I do have will power against the sweets but emotional eating can sometimes be a problem… :ohwell: Anyways, I'm hoping to meet some great people who can help with what will certainly be a very long journey. I'll admit I'm a little scared starting now with the holidays right around the corner but now is better than ever. Right? :)

Replies

• kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on your journey. You can do this!
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You are correct, now is better than never! Welcome and I wish you the best of luck on this journey!

Feel free to add me as a friend =)
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is a great time to start because you can fend off those extra pounds people gain at this time of year. You can make it through December without an extra five pounds, and maybe even with a couple less. You can do it!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! Now is a better time compared to later to make this change! :) The longer you put it off is another day you could have done a bit better wasted. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Kudos to you for taking charge of your health! :flowerforyou:
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP is a great place to start your journey the community of people here are great for support, encouragement and motivation! Now is a great time to start, especially around the holidays.. no need to throw health out the window just because extra holiday food is around :) Good luck and I hope you reach your goals! Feel free to add :)
  • Deborahx72
    Options
    Hey - I'm new too! So glad we're together in this.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome and feel free to add me. I'm pretty new to this site, too.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    One thing you could do is offer to take over the food shopping so you have control over that. Your parents would benefit by not having that chore to do and by having healthier food in the house. You could start using a Weight Watchers cook book. They have easy, nutritious recipes and once you find ones you and your family like, you can make them on a regular basis, or whoever does most of the cooking can. If your picture is accurate in terms of what you look like, I don't think weight loss should be your goal, eating a nutritious diet should be. You didn't say how old you are, but if you are younger than 22, you are still growing and you need the nutrients for growth and development. Keep calories under control and get as many non-calorie nutrients into your diet as possible. This will mean eating more fruits and vegetables. Again, the cook book can help cook and serve those so you will enjoy them. Now is the time to practice assertiveness in this area of your life!
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am trying to make a change too... It is hard to change our habits! One thing that is easier for me is to make small changes and add those changes one at a time. For example, why don't you start having one salad a day. Then, once that becomes a habit, you could try something else, like drinking a liter of water upon waking. Just one thing at a time. Feel free to add me if you want!
  • angelita87
    Options
    I just started this journey yesterday and Iam sooo ready to get ride of this. I have a closet full of clothes that I want to fit into again and dang it Iam going to!!!!!!
  • jpc106
    jpc106 Posts: 16
    Options
    Always happy for anyone to add me, especially newbies! We're all in it together, good luck!
  • fixingxkarma
    fixingxkarma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One thing you could do is offer to take over the food shopping so you have control over that. Your parents would benefit by not having that chore to do and by having healthier food in the house. You could start using a Weight Watchers cook book. They have easy, nutritious recipes and once you find ones you and your family like, you can make them on a regular basis, or whoever does most of the cooking can. If your picture is accurate in terms of what you look like, I don't think weight loss should be your goal, eating a nutritious diet should be. You didn't say how old you are, but if you are younger than 22, you are still growing and you need the nutrients for growth and development. Keep calories under control and get as many non-calorie nutrients into your diet as possible. This will mean eating more fruits and vegetables. Again, the cook book can help cook and serve those so you will enjoy them. Now is the time to practice assertiveness in this area of your life!

Pictures (and animal print) can be deceiving and I carry my weight differently than others. My last trip to the doctors was a rather emotional one after weighing in and learning my BMI. I agree with you when you mentioned taking over the food shopping would help with healthier foods. The only downside is that I am a vegetarian and the rest of my family is not. While my mom would enjoy veggie meals, my dad's tongue might fall out. (I'm not joking here. :\ ) My mother and I do the food shopping together and we both know there are things in the cart that should stay on the shelf but "dad needs his cookies." There is only so much I can do/say when I'm not the one paying for everything.

And thanks to everyone who has welcomed me :)
  • e001w
    e001w Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Day 1 for me also. It is humbling to share so much about oneself openly and honestly, but we are here together to reach our goals and I believe having to be accountable for choices may motivate me tremendously. Looking for a friend or 2 :)