Sick, Fat, and Nearly Dead

Options
**** I did not agree with everything in this documentary, but it was defiantly an inspirational and up lifting tale. You will learn something even if you do not agree with everything. It is free to Watch on Hulu.com, is on netflix, and they have their own website at www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/ :) *******

100 pounds overweight, loaded up on steroids and suffering from a debilitating autoimmune disease, Joe Cross is at the end of his rope and the end of his hope. In the mirror he saw a 310lb man whose gut was bigger than a beach ball and a path laid out before him that wouldn't end well- with one foot already in the grave, the other wasn't far behind. FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD is an inspiring film that chronicles Joe's personal mission to regain his health. With doctors and conventional medicines unable to help long-term, Joe turns to the only option left, the body's ability to heal itself. He trades in the junk food and hits the road with juicer and generator in tow, vowing only to drink fresh fruit and vegetable juice for the next 60 days. Across 3,000 miles Joe has one goal in mind: To get off his pills and achieve a balanced lifestyle. While talking to more than 500 Americans about food, health and longevity, it's at a truck stop in Arizona where Joe meets a truck driver who suffers from the same rare condition. Phil Staples is morbidly obese weighing in at 429 lbs; a cheeseburger away from a heart-attack. As Joe is recovering his health, Phil begins his own epic journey to get well. What emerges is nothing short of amazing - an inspiring tale of healing and human connection. Part road trip, part self-help manifesto, FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD defies the traditional documentary format to present an unconventional and uplifting story of two men from different worlds who each realize that the only person who can save them is themselves.

Replies

• soulfulsally
    Options
    I started watching this the other day (still have to watch the rest). If juicing helped this guy, that's great. It's one option to get healthier.

It'd be awesome to fit in more fruits & vegetables so easily. But doesn't juicing take away the fibrous parts of the produce? (I don't own a juicer, so maybe I'm totally off about this.)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I watched this right before I finally decided it was time to make some changes and take control of my life. Though juicing is not for me, it is one of the shows that I credit with heading me in the right direction. The other one was Forks Over Knives. Both of them helped me change my life in a BIG way. 9 months later I weigh 112 pounds less and feel like a new person.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I will have to check that out :) Yeah I dont think juicing is the best plan of action eating less junk and more fruts and veggies though? Oh yeah that will help :)
  • Lukefire67
    Options
    Thought it was a good documentary. I did it for a week and decided that I was spending too much on produce, and throwing too much away in the pulp. I think an equally effective and more cost effective approach would be to just eat all of the vegetables, save money and still get all the benefits of the veggies in addition to the fiber that you have been throwing away in the pulp.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I totally watched the movie, and then went out and bought a juicer as well as a ton of fresh veggies thinking this was a GREAT idea for me and a quick fix to my extra 15 lbs I wanted to lose.

I lasted a week, and the juicer is in my cupboard-- not used since.

Anyone need a juicer? I've got one for sale!
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I watched it, I was not impressed. I mean, I was by his progress, but not by how he got there. Seems unhealthy and very restrictive to me. Definitely not sustainable.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Thought it was a good documentary. I did it for a week and decided that I was spending too much on produce, and throwing too much away in the pulp. I think an equally effective and more cost effective approach would be to just eat all of the vegetables, save money and still get all the benefits of the veggies in addition to the fiber that you have been throwing away in the pulp.

We love the juice (not as our only food source) and I use the pulp in baking and cooking. I think I actually end up using more of the fruits and veggies that way than when I just slice them up. Plus, there is stuff I can get my kids to drink that they won't ever eat fresh - cranberries and beets come to mind!
  • meeper123
    Options
    You know just thought of something this might not work as an exclusive source of ood, but would it be a good meal on the go? Or good for peaople ( like my hubby) that doesn't much like any veggie? Could just drink it fast? Hs to be better than not eatting any at all right?
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I watched this. I know one thing, it was a major eye opener. This documentary is very great, and does offer an option. I noticed not just the weight loss, but the skin and over all well being aspect of how he looked.

However, it is not nearly as easy as it looks/sounds, and seriously not as cheap as he tries to make it out.

I did try this, in curiousity (and with my Dr. saying it was ok)

First thing I noticed... to juice about a glass it was A LOT of produce. It was like, 2 oranges, an apple, a good amount of kale etc. For spinach... you'd need almost two bags to get even a bit in the glass. So, there's the cost.

Second thing I noticed, where as fruit juices taste great, vegetable juice (pure) is disgusting and hard to swallow. Literally, thought I'd throw it up.

Third thing, where as for me I was content, a bit hungry... my boyfriend became very VERY moody because he was STARVING.

It's def. not for everyone, and I'd honestly say if you try it, and you experience anything that will get in the way of your day to day life, stop. But the documentary itself is great to watch and there is still a good amount to learn about health and how important it is to you. Joe Cross is a great guy and he demonstrates serious dedication to his choice!
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    I applaud his decision to change his life and help others...its better than the alternative anyday
  • meeper123
    Options
    I watched this. I know one thing, it was a major eye opener. This documentary is very great, and does offer an option. I noticed not just the weight loss, but the skin and over all well being aspect of how he looked.

However, it is not nearly as easy as it looks/sounds, and seriously not as cheap as he tries to make it out.

First thing I noticed... to juice about a glass it was A LOT of produce. It was like, 2 oranges, an apple, a good amount of kale etc. For spinach... you'd need almost two bags to get even a bit in the glass. So, there's the cost.

Second thing I noticed, where as fruit juices taste great, vegetable juice (pure) is disgusting and hard to swallow. Literally, thought I'd throw it up.

Third thing, where as for me I was content, a bit hungry... my boyfriend became very VERY moody because he was STARVING.

It's def. not for everyone, and I'd honestly say if you try it, and you experience anything that will get in the way of your day to day life, stop. But the documentary itself is great to watch and there is still a good amount to learn about health and how important it is to you. Joe Cross is a great guy and he demonstrates serious dedication to his choice!

That would be crazy up here in Alaska with no real fresh produce most of the year!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options

That would be crazy up here in Alaska with no real fresh produce most of the year!

Eww... yea... I don't think I'd try to juice anything less than local grown. I could imagine not so fresh stuff having a disgusting bad fruit/veggie taste lol.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I applaud his decision to change his life and help others...its better than the alternative anyday

This crossed my mind when the guy in the documentary was telling strangers about his juicing diet. An obese woman replied, "That's crazy." So juicing to regain health is crazy, but obesity isn't? Got me thinking about my own priorities and how I need to get them straight.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I watched this right before I finally decided it was time to make some changes and take control of my life. Though juicing is not for me, it is one of the shows that I credit with heading me in the right direction. The other one was Forks Over Knives. Both of them helped me change my life in a BIG way. 9 months later I weigh 112 pounds less and feel like a new person.

That's awesome it inspired your weight loss success! Documentaries like these are motivational, even if we don't buy into the diets hook line and sinker. Forks Over Knives is another one I want to watch...waiting for it to get in at the library.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I really want to see that as well is it on netflix?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I started watching this the other day (still have to watch the rest). If juicing helped this guy, that's great. It's one option to get healthier.

It'd be awesome to fit in more fruits & vegetables so easily. But doesn't juicing take away the fibrous parts of the produce? (I don't own a juicer, so maybe I'm totally off about this.)

I think you are right about the fiber. This is why a do smoothies in the blender instead.
  • meeper123
    Options
    that works even better I love smoothies <3
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I like to chew my food.
  • melodyriddle17
    Options
    That movie is amazing. I love juicing. The same day I saw the documentary I bought a juicer and we juice usually for breakfast. I am in the works of doing my own juice fast soon.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I had a sexy friend with great muscles, who watched this movie then get some hair brained idea to juice for 30 days. Yeah he burned through like 30 pounds of lean body mass. Looks like a weakling now. No thanks!