What do you do to keep from eating?

Options
124»

Replies

• shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Get a cup of tea, or paint my nails or something to distract myself. :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't turn to food for emotional reasons. I turn to it because I'm hungry. And if I'm hungry, I eat.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    trying not to think about eating is thinking about eating. GO VERB
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Log EVERYTHING. It will make you aware of what's going in your mouth. Also, when you feel like eating, envision you at your goal weight. I like to put on a movie or a TV show that has inspiring women who look really good slender and fit. (Ex: Private Practice, Grey's Anatomy, FRIENDS...) It makes me face the fact that they probably control themselves in order to look like that.
  • angelatolomeo
    Options
    I drink LOTS of coffee! after 4 cups I'm not hungry anymore and feel full.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    To keep from eating, eat. Meaning, ensure that you are getting adequate nutrition every day. You have a food diary at your disposal here. Use it. Protein and fiber tend to be filling, so put emphasis on those. Your diary has a lot of blank days, and while flipping through it, I am yet to come across a day where you've reached your calorie target. That's the problem. Now fix it!
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    To keep from eating, eat. Meaning, ensure that you are getting adequate nutrition every day. You have a food diary at your disposal here. Use it. Protein and fiber tend to be filling, so put emphasis on those. Your diary has a lot of blank days, and while flipping through it, I am yet to come across a day where you've reached your calorie target. That's the problem. Now fix it!

That's because once I fail, I stop logging. I am not undereating...I am massively overeating.
    I'm glad you seem to know exactly what my problem is though.
  • Revupy
    Options
    I purchased a small bag of Cinnamon Sticks at the dollar store for a dollar. If you keep on in your mouth for as long as possible like carrying a tooth pick the stick gives you flavor and it keeps you from putting any other food in your mouth. This is one of my tricks to cutting down on food consumption.
  • 35khris
    35khris Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love food & I love to eat! When I am having a 'food obsessed' day, I do all things involving food; reading recipes, making a grocery list, cleaning out my refrigerator, clipping coupons, making a pot of vegetable soup, planning meals for a month, baking cookies or a pie for a neighbor (typically something I don't like). I know I'm not going to fight my obsession, so I immerse myself in it. & When all else fails I make a giant bowl of air popped popcorn:) Good luck!!
  • snowboardn
    Options
    I don't really prevent myself from eating, but i just eat better... I bring an apple, an orange, and a fruit cup to work with me for snacks... And even though they aren't super satisfying they tide me over long enough to get through the day. Healthy snacks won't hurt your diet, but caving in and going through a drive through will ruin you in a hurry.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

That's because once I fail, I stop logging. I am not undereating...I am massively overeating.
    I'm glad you seem to know exactly what my problem is though.

I was just going by the information that was available.

Have you tried just continuing to log even through the bad days? Sometimes it's good to try to keep some semblance of consistency, even if that consistency means just logging everything.

Have you tried planning meals ahead of time (from the day before)? What I said about still stands - emphasized protein and fiber. Create a reasonable menu for yourself that you can live with. Then just execute you plan one day at a time, one meal at a time.

If you slip up, don't use it as excuse to fall off the wagon for the rest of the day or week or month. Just get back on plan as soon as possible.

You are planning ahead, right?