Which strength workout is better??

Options
:smile: I found this girl on MFP who has these great strength training routines, and she looks great! However, sometimes I don't know if I"m doing "too much" or "too little." I'm a muscular person by nature, a genetic thing, and so I don't want to bulk. Listed below is the workout I was on for a month, (her's) and I saw some results, but didn't feel it was enough. I did about 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps. The other workout is one she said she does now, a "more advanced" workout. This one looks more challenging, but I don't know if it's "too much." It's hard, because if I don't stick to a "routine" I won't do it. Can anyone help???? I need to start back up ASAP, i haven't worked out for like 2 weeks. Thanks!!!!

Maybe I could tailor the workouts, so that it is in "in between" and not too much or too little??

Basic routine (I did for month) but is it not "enough?".......it only took like 20-25 minutes to do.

Day 1 - Upper Body:
- Bench press
- Bent over barbell rows
- Dumbbell shoulder press
- Skull crushers
- Barbell bicep curl

Day 2 - Lower Body:
- Barbell squat
- Stiff-legged deadlift
- Leg extension
- Leg curls
- Standing calf raises
- Lying leg raises
- Exercise ball crunches

Day 3 - REST

Day 4 - Upper body:
- Dips
- Pull ups
- Lateral raises
- Triceps pushdown
- Cable curls

Day 5 - Lower Body:
- Deadlift
- Leg Press
- Dumbbell lunges
- Seated calf raises
- Dumbbell shrugs
- Decline Crunches
- Hyperextensions

And here is the Advanced Routine, which looks more challenging, but may "bulk" me up:

Day 1 – Legs:
- Barbell squat
- Stiff-legged deadlift
- Leg extension
- Leg curls
- Roman chair leg raises
- Planks
- Exercise ball crunches
Day 2 – Back & Biceps:
- Pullups
- Bent over barbell rows
- Seated cable row
- Wide-grip cable row
- Wide-grip lap pulldown
- Cable curls
- Alternating hammer curls
- Preacher curl
Day 3 – Chest & Triceps:
- Dips- Flat bench press
- Incline dumbbell press
- Dumbbell flies
- Triceps pushdown
- Triceps rope pull down
- Skullcrushers
- Narrow-grip triceps press
Day 4 – Legs:
- Deadlift
- Leg press
- Walking dumbbell lunges
- Standing calf raises
- Plank- Decline crunches
- Hyperextensions
Day 5 – Shoulders:
- Cable internal & external rotations
- Shrugs
- Push press
- Arnold dumbbell press
- Front raises
- Seated bent over rear delt raises

- Lateral raises

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I'll just stop you right there...if you're finishing ANY of those routines in 25 mins with 3 sets or so of each, you're not lifting enough weight.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'll just stop you right there...if you're finishing ANY of those routines in 25 mins with 3 sets or so of each, you're not lifting enough weight.

^ I'm glad you posted this, that's the first thought that popped into my head before getting halfway through the post. Totally agree.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Bulking is a product of eating enough to gain weight. As a woman it will be extremely difficult for you to put on much muscle unless you have at least 6x the normal HIGH amount of testosterone that women have. (general range of 40-70 for women with the lowest normal for a man being 400)

The kind of routine you choose should be based on your own conditioning and training levels.

Check this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'm a muscular person by nature, a genetic thing, and so I don't want to bulk.

doubtful
  • Stormborn25
    Options

This.

My lifting routine consists of 3 - 5 exercises, with warm ups and 5X5 of each it takes me at least 45 mins. Weights should happen in a controlled manner, and they should be hard, you should NEED to rest between each set.

Second you've said you're worried about bulking, even with your genetic muscularity (?) it is REALLY hard for girls to "bulk". We are not hormonally designed for it. If you are putting on 3 - 5 pounds of pure muscle IN A YEAR you're doing well. So I wouldn't worry about that so much.

Put the fears aside, make your weights heavy and good luck!
  • nyusha
    nyusha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It seems like WAY too much. You can do half the exercises as long as you add enough weight.
    Give some examples for the weights you're using.

As far as bulking - what they ^^ said :)
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    also, hate all you want, those are actually pretty good bodybuilding routines...more work than I like to do per workout, but some good exercises.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There really is no need to have such an elaborate routine. If you have access to a barbell stick to one of the tried and true compounding lifting novice routines - Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5.

Also, plug your stats in here: http://www.strstd.com/ . Once you've crossed into the intermediate level, you might consider upgrading or tweaking the routine.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    also, hate all you want, those are actually pretty good bodybuilding routines...more work than I like to do per workout, but some good exercises.

Agreed. The first workout bears some similarities to Lyle's GBR.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Yeah they aren't bad, but the second one would really be for an advanced bodybuilder. A beginner could of course make much faster gains with higher frequency.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options

^ I'm glad you posted this, that's the first thought that popped into my head before getting halfway through the post. Totally agree.

I thought this too! I only do 5 sets of 3 exercises and it takes me almost an hour!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Yep! Nothing wrong with the 1st routine, it's basic and good. Instead of doing 3-4 sets of 8-10 why not change it to 3 sets of 6-8? Go to failure in each lift - the last 2-3 should be a STRAIN and you should be grunting to yourself!
    If you are finding the work outs too short, then why don't you put a 5 min HIIT after each completed exercise? 5 min skip/50 over the fence/50 box jumps.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The first part is pretty close to what I do, and it takes me 45 to 60 minutes.

The advanced stuff seems a little overkill.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I prefer the upper/lower as I would rather train each body part twice per week.

The only 5 day split I would run would be Layne Nortons PHAT, again muscles as trained twice per week on that one,
  • ktwest2107
    ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

This. And in a calorie deficit you won't bulk. If you feel like you are bulking, eat less.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I prefer the upper/lower as I would rather train each body part twice per week.

The only 5 day split I would run would be Layne Nortons PHAT, again muscles as trained twice per week on that one,

Yep I agree with what everyone else has said. Try one of the strength programs for beginners. Those routines you posted are fine for a body building routine but you might get better results with a strength program that hits each muscle group twice a week.

I used a body building split for most of my weight loss and now wish I had focused more on strength.

Cant bulk on a deficit and even with a calorie surplus and being a male it is very slow going.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I think the first routine is a great routine for someone that is starting out or intermediate. No need for the other exercises. You should focus on adding weight or reps to every exercise you do everytime you go and you will see results. Remember it takes time.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Wow guys! These are some good ideas. A lot of them I knew already, but you reminded me again. I know that a lot of the bulk is really just fat over muscle, but what I meant to say is that I am not a lean person, I have a stocky build, just runs in my family.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Wow guys! These are some good ideas. A lot of them I knew already, but you reminded me again. I know that a lot of the bulk is really just fat over muscle, but what I meant to say is that I am not a lean person, I have a stocky build, just runs in my family.

That's what I used to say too until I got lean with proper diet and training.