Shoes and weightlifting

Options
I was talking to my boss this afternoon about weight-lifting. He lifts with a guy he knows who insisted that he needed new shoes for weight lifting because the ones he wears are too worn out for lifting, according to this guy's opinion. The guy told him he needed to buy a minimalist shoe to have proper technique. I have been a certified personal trainer and have a degree in exercise science and have never heard that the type of shoe a person lifts in matters compared to a runner, or a soccer player, etc. Is there some research to back this guy's claim?

I pretty much told my boss that since everyone's feet are designed differently, that you just need to find a shoe that fits properly and feels comfortable. They do a lot of squats, lunges and clean & jerk movements...so they do work a lot on their lower body...but it seems to me that the technique has very little to do with the type of shoe on your foot, and more to do with correct foot placement on the ground. What are your opinions, and if you have an opinion, what are you basing it on? My opinion is based on my knowledge of kinesiology and injury prevention...which could very well be outdated since I've had my degree for several years now.

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You can find a ton of info recommending shoes that are not "spongy." I personally just wear converse all stars which are a popular alternative to $200 weight lifting shoes.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I wear New Balance cross-trainers. I find that they do have better balance than a running shoe or other types of shoes for weightlifting. I think if you wear a running shoe that places more emphasis on the balls of your feet, then that may throw you off a bit, but that is just a personal opinion, no science to back this claim.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    So, if he just continues to wear his worn out shoe...wouldn't it lose its spongeiness (if that's a word) anyway due to the breakdown? I don't believe he lifts in a cushioned running shoe or anything...in fact, when he runs, he opts for the vibrams.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Read this, a shoe can GREATLY affect your lifts - http://ezinearticles.com/?A-Few-Reasons-Why-You-Should-Not-Wear-Running-Shoes-to-Lift-Heavy-Weights&id=4027638

IMO it's best to lift in socks or even better bare feet. I realize most gyms don't allow this.

Sorry (probably shouldn't say anything) but kind of shocked being a CPT that you've never heard of weightlifting shoes.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I know this might be seen as bad but I lift bare foot
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    When doing lifts such as squats and deadlifts, I try to wear a shoe that has minimal cushion soled shoes. For one, the cushioning does not allow you to drive your feet into the ground as well. Also, the cushioning on the heel of the shoe supports more of a forward lean in the deadlift and squat which is not what you want, you would rather be more even balanced and driving through the heel. The shoes should also provide support and a good base. If his shoes fit these, then I don't see any problem with them.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i think that wearing runnin shoes is NOT the greatest idea ever. i lift with my runnin shoes because its all i have and i find myself being off balance at tmies when im doing lunges or squats. though it could just b my poor quality of a core. bak when i was in shape i never had this problem and did my weights in runnin shoes. so bak to ur question....idk
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    So, if he just continues to wear his worn out shoe...wouldn't it lose its spongeiness (if that's a word) anyway due to the breakdown? I don't believe he lifts in a cushioned running shoe or anything...in fact, when he runs, he opts for the vibrams.

Probably. And if vibrams are those super thin toe shoes, they are good for lifting too. Also some people like to lift bare footed.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Me too. One of the many advantages of lifting at home. :)
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    i think that wearing runnin shoes is NOT the greatest idea ever. i lift with my runnin shoes because its all i have and i find myself being off balance at tmies when im doing lunges or squats. though it could just b my poor quality of a core. bak when i was in shape i never had this problem and did my weights in runnin shoes. so bak to ur question....idk

Go to Target and get some 30 dollar converse
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

Me too. One of the many advantages of lifting at home. :)

Yup!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with depth of squats in running shoes, and similarly, I feel that they negatively impact my form in deads. So if I'm doing heavy deads or squats I rock my converse all stars... like an all star.
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    For squats and dead lifts I wear Reebok Olys, for all other lifting I wear Innov8's minimalist. Works for me.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

weird. If I HAD to *at gunpoint* lift in running shoes, I'd go for my most worn out and least spongey pair in hopes that would **** up my balance the least.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    i wear converse. they are perfect. For legs, you need a flat non-cushy shoe, like converse.. For upper body, it doesn't matter. For my HIIT or running or plyo, I use a running shoe.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I wear any flat bottomed shoes. I've found that any coach sneakers work well for this.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    I have trouble with depth of squats in running shoes, and similarly, I feel that they negatively impact my form in deads. So if I'm doing heavy deads or squats I rock my converse all stars... like an all star.

I rock mine like a Pr0nstar

24007068_4585.jpg
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Defacto standard is converse all stars. The key is to have a non-compressible sole/heel. That's why minimalist shoes or barefoot actually do make sense. Although as weights get pretty heavy, you may get some foot-roll, which is where a purpose-made lifting shoe comes in.. Those often come with a wooden heels (so they don't compress) and a slight rise in the heel, which helps with squats. And they help keep your feet planted very very stable.

I absolutely agree with everyone above who says to avoid anything with a "squishy" sole. You want that energy transfer going straight to the floor, and not getting wasted squishing down your soft running shoe soles.
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options

I have a home gym and I lift shoeless also. I also do cardio shoeless. (in my own home)
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options

Probably. And if vibrams are those super thin toe shoes, they are good for lifting too. Also some people like to lift bare footed.

I lift in vibrams because I started off lifting barefoot at home and now running shoes throw me off plus it makes them break down more quickly.