Learning Patience?

kabaness
kabaness Posts: 3
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
So i have just started on MFP and have been reading daily success stories and dreaming when that might be me.

I guess i have two questions

1. How do i really believe its possible? That I could actually wear a nice summer dress without all the flab! That I could have a flat belly and maybe even wear a bikini one day!! When people expect me to fail how do i rise above that and believe I wont? Most of my family is big and they are a really bad influence.

2. FOOD!!! ugh! i can never seem to control it. Im tracking my daily intake but sugar is my enemy and i just cant seem to avoid it. Is it a matter of just not eating snacks? Having 3 healthy meals a day? I just love food - its kind of like an addiction. The first week i just tracked what i ate so i could get an idea of my usual calorie intake (it was a shocking 2000-2700) now my suggested intake is 1490 (which is nearly half). Im guessing the hunger pains will go away and ill learn to eat within these limits. If i exercise i tend to eat those calories too :/

cheers!

Current Weight: 125kg (275 lb) Goal: 80Kg (176lb)

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Welcome! Keep that summer dress in mind if that's what it takes to motivate you. It may be helpful to break up your long-term goal into smaller goals-5kg or 10kg at a time (or whatever seems reasonable for you) and celebrate each time you reach one of those smaller goals. Personally, I set eating better and exercising as my goals-the results are the weight loss. But that's me. Recognize that in order for any loss to stick-it has to be forever-so take baby steps to change things you feel you can change and do forever and ever. Never eating crap again for as long as you live isn't realistic. Cutting back slowly may be more achievable. But patience becomes marginally easier as you see results-marginally. Take it one day at a time and work towards smaller/shorter-term goals that you can achieve before you lose patience/interest.
  • azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    I know what you mean about feeling like food is an addiction. What I have found that helps me is keeping myself busy. If I have things to do, then I won't be thinking about how I should have a snack when I'm not actually hungry. I think looking at the message boards on here will help...I'm already getting caught up in them! haha!

Also, to cut back when you eat, try eating slower. If I focus on my "first" serving, eat it slowly, and let my stomach get the food before I get up again, then I'm less likely to eat seconds. And I'm really bad about eating seconds. Partially my fiance's fault...with just the two of us, we tend to finish meals because we suck at eating leftovers. So, we eat WAY more than we should be at a meal, especially if it's something that makes a predetermined amount.

Just stick with it and think about how worth it it'll be! I'll be dreaming about summer dresses and bikinis with you!! :)
  • As far as motivation goes, use whatever works for you - and put it on some sort of a timeline (I find that it holds me accountable!) I saw that one of your motivations was to be able to swim the great barrier reef in a bikini - why not say "summer 2014, I'm going to do this?" Put up pictures from the reef where ever you spend most of your time, and maybe pick a couple of bikini styles you like from a magazine and pin that up too. I've done a variation on this and by uttering my 'codename' for my trip, a lot of times it brings me back into my 'zone'

Food is a trickier topic, depending on how you plan on eating going forward. I didn't want to do a 'diet' because I hate the idea of arbitrary restrictions that may or may not give me results. Also, I didn't like the idea of being on a meal plan that I'll have to quit eventually (more opportunity to regain the weight I've lost) so I switched to 'clean-eating': fresh, unprocessed foods, and foods that are minimally processed (ie. canned tuna). I did cut out soda because I couldn't justify the empty calories, and otherwise I've tried to limit my sweets by replacing them with healthier sweets (fruits, frozen pureed fruits, etc) The nice thing about clean-eating is that you can have what you crave in moderation without guilt; I rarely feel hungry, and often find it hard to consume my 1300 calorie goal if I'm eating healthy foods.

Ultimately, I believe weight loss comes at a time when you're ready to accept the challenge, and so sometimes it takes a couple times of trying different things to get in your groove, but the people here are amazing, there are lots of great suggestions, and whenever you feel the need for help, there's someone around. :)

Good luck!
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    when snacking pick healthy snacks, i find fruit works well for a sugar hit as well... think low calories, fill you up! fruit, vegies, whole grains, nuts (in small portions coz of calories!), boiled eggs make nice snacks too...
    if you are able to plan ahead and you really feel like something chocolate or the like you can go for a walk BEFORE you eat it, track the calories of the walk and then you have your treat guilt free and well deserved! maybe when you get back from the walk it wont be so appealing any more??? (happens to me sometimes)
    i eat a lot less chocolates and sweets now and sometimes if i do indulge its not as enjoyable as i remember, too much sugar, tastes too sweet, makes me thirsty... it takes time but your taste buds and brain changes...
    your topic name is correct it is about learning patience but if you sit back and enjoy the changes your body, mind and soul are making you will be surprised how quickly things get rolling, and that summer dress will be a reality sooner than you think... that bikini too :)
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    First, do some research. I was your starting weight. My usually daily calorie intake has been above 1800, sometimes 2000 calories. It's a very enjoyable way to lose weight.

Regarding some of the other stuff. You may NOT know. You may NOT have support. You may NOT believe you can do it. Just start doing it anyway. All the small things add up and then POOF you have a victory. Keep going.....find and create the next victory.....keep going. It never ends.

You just have to do it. The time is passing you anyways. And it's going to continue to pass. Make the best of it. This is your one and only shot at the most amazing life you can have.
This discussion has been closed.