Shoes and weightlifting

Options

Replies

• MrJase
    MrJase Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I lift in converse trainers (always have) I would lift barefoot but the gym doesn't allow it. I like the fact that there is next to no heal so there is no cusion so act against my lift. I lift with a guy who wears weightlighting shoes he likes them as they raise his heel which helps him reach a lower squat. I suppose its the same idea as putting a board or 5KG weights under your heals while squatting. End of the day though I think its what you feel compfortable in.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I know this might be seen as bad but I lift bare foot

I have a home gym and I lift shoeless also. I also do cardio shoeless. (in my own home)

ditto, unless i got to the gym when im outta town
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My converse are purplish-pink.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i like as little as possible, I need to feel my heels pressing into the floor to know Im stable. But clean and jerks, squat cleans, etc- those are not lower body workouts- just a heads up :)
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I love my converse for lifting. They're plaid and awesome.

I have accidentally worn my running shoes to the gym on a lifting day. It was disastrous. The sponginess and the angle in my heel basically meant I was exerting more wasted effort, and also caused me to pitch forward putting more strain in my lower back.
  • MrJase
    MrJase Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i like as little as possible, I need to feel my heels pressing into the floor to know Im stable. But clean and jerks, squat cleans, etc- those are not lower body workouts- just a heads up :)

How do you squat, power clean etc if you dont work your lower body?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

How do you squat, power clean etc if you dont work your lower body?

I said they arent lower body workouts. I didnt say you dont use your lower body :) I also didnt say squats and power cleans, I said clean and jerks and squat cleans :heart: They DO work your lower body, but not JUST your lower body.
    Every lift ive learned, the big ones I mean, used my whole body.
    After deadlifting and learning squat cleans, its my shoulders, arms, back and abs that I feel it in most, because those areas are so much weaker than my legs. :brokenheart:
    I find these major lifts to be full body workouts, not lower body workouts. :drinker:
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    I found wearing my running shoes while lifting were starting to hurt my knees and joints. I think it was the squishy soles of the shoes. I bought a pair of barefoot vibrams and they make a HUGE difference. I'm able to use my muscles more than putting all that pressure on the soles of my shoes. My form has also improved.
  • katiekrusher
    Options
    Anyone heard of Crossfit Nanos, or have them? Are they just for crossfit or weight lifting as well?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Read this, a shoe can GREATLY affect your lifts - http://ezinearticles.com/?A-Few-Reasons-Why-You-Should-Not-Wear-Running-Shoes-to-Lift-Heavy-Weights&id=4027638

IMO it's best to lift in socks or even better bare feet. I realize most gyms don't allow this.

Sorry (probably shouldn't say anything) but kind of shocked being a CPT that you've never heard of weightlifting shoes.
    I couldn't agree more. I lift in Chuck Taylors.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I use my Merrell Barefoot shoes to lift in. When I lift at home I go barefoot.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Sorry (probably shouldn't say anything) but kind of shocked being a CPT that you've never heard of weightlifting shoes.

True, but then again I see that they are letting just about anyone get certified as personal trainers anymore...

Everyone is a CPT these days...kind of like the old "I am in Real estate." line before the bubble burst. [Of course I live near Scottsdale so maybe it is just here.]
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I've noticed improved balance and better form since switching to Vibrams for lifting.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    True, but then again I see that they are letting just about anyone get certified as personal trainers anymore...

Agree. Most trainer's I've observed suck, but there are good ones. ;)

Truthfully, the NASM CPT really didn't teach me squat about lifting (no pun intended). I've learned most of what I know through a lot of researching on my own and doing. You can never know enough.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think I must have confused you all with a running shoe reference. I didn't mean that he does lift in running shoes...just that as a trainer, I wasn't aware that there were specific weight-lifting shoes as compared to running shoes for runners, or cleats for soccer or other specified sports. I can certainly see how wearing a cushioned shoe to lift in can make balance hard...I guess I always wondered why my leg wobbled when I do lunges...I just thought it was a core issue.

I know someone was surprised to hear that as a certified trainer, I hadn't heard of weight-lifting shoes. Stuff like that probably depends on the certification. I wasn't ACSM certified...just AFAA. The focus with that certification was more on technique and exercises than on proper attire. Had I not been an athlete, I probably wouldn't have put it together that the shoe makes a difference. Maybe that's ignorant of me to say because I didn't really research what to wear for each exercise, but I can honestly say that attire wasn't covered in any course I took. And most of the research I do now is related to running since I don't actively practice as a trainer now and running is my exercise preference when it comes to cardio.

I'll certainly pass on this info to my boss! I don't mind being wrong...that was why I asked here, cause I knew you guys would chime in with the whys and hows. Thanks all for your input! It's greatly appreciated!

**Edited for spelling
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Anyone heard of Crossfit Nanos, or have them? Are they just for crossfit or weight lifting as well?

They are designed to be a multipurpose shoe for CrossFit workouts... meaning they are decent for running and decent for lifting. I just ordered a pair, but not too sure I'll do lifting only workouts in them. I currently lift in a cheapo pair of flat-ish nike casual shoes.

I think these are it: http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/92036-1024099/Nike/Grey_Blue/Womens+Eclipse.aspx

I like them for lifting and I think I only paid $35 for them.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    So, if he just continues to wear his worn out shoe...wouldn't it lose its spongeiness (if that's a word) anyway due to the breakdown? I don't believe he lifts in a cushioned running shoe or anything...in fact, when he runs, he opts for the vibrams.

Probably. And if vibrams are those super thin toe shoes, they are good for lifting too. Also some people like to lift bare footed.

I lift in vibrams because I started off lifting barefoot at home and now running shoes throw me off plus it makes them break down more quickly.

I second the Vibrams vote...these work great for me and feel super stable
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i do it all barefoot... in the gym....
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I found wearing my running shoes while lifting were starting to hurt my knees and joints. I think it was the squishy soles of the shoes. I bought a pair of barefoot vibrams and they make a HUGE difference. I'm able to use my muscles more than putting all that pressure on the soles of my shoes. My form has also improved.

I never thought about it until you said your running shoes were hurting your knees and joints that explains the pain I have been having in my knee since I started lifting....back to barefoot for me!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Agree. Most trainer's I've observed suck, but there are good ones. ;)

Truthfully, the NASM CPT really didn't teach me squat about lifting (no pun intended). I've learned most of what I know through a lot of researching on my own and doing. You can never know enough.
    I am currently AFAA but I would love to become NASM. Just like every other industry you're going to have strong and weak people. That doesn't make the industry as a whole bad.