I've reached a plataeu, I need a jump start...

Options
I've been slowly and steadily loosing weight. 24 pounds since June 20th. Nothing fast, but very practical. As I like to say, "I'm not on a diet, this is a lifestyle." I work out 3-4 times per week for about 30 minutes. I either run 3 miles or do the eliptical.

In the last month I've only dropped about 2 pounds. I do realize I'm getting close to my goal (originally 25 but I've changed it to 30 pounds) and it will come off slower. But, with the quickly approaching holidays I want to motivate and jump start some weight loss to combate the typical holiday weight gain.

I look forward to reading your suggestions. :)

Replies

• dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    try adding a little weight lifting into your routine.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    And go by measurements, not scales.
  • Keyblr
    Keyblr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I soooo wish I would have taken before mesurements. I'm really mad I did not!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Losing half a pound per week for a month isn't a plataeu.

But when wieght loss does stall, you should cut calories back slightly and/or add some activity.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You haven't plateaued! You are doing great for being pretty close to your goal weight. Focus on not gaining weight.....eating a bit more than you normally do if you want to enjoy parties, etc....You will be ahead of the game by the time the holidays are over.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

But when wieght loss does stall, you should cut calories back slightly and/or add some activity.

That's pretty much it. I would think .5lbs a week when you're basically at or very near your goal weight is perfect.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

That's pretty much it. I would think .5lbs a week when you're basically at or very near your goal weight is perfect.

I agree- it's pretty decent progress IMO, especially in the middle of holiday season. But, if you're not satisfied, try taking a break- it really works.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MoreBean13/view/reflections-on-maintenance-diet-break-427880
  • Keyblr
    Keyblr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input... I guess I'm just not used to seeing the lack of movement on the scale, which unfortunetly is the only way I can gauge my sucess or lack there of.

Additionally I will put a pound on one week and then the next week be down 1.5. Yes, still down. but...

Ultimately what it boils down to is I am terrified of maintaining the goal. I know how to gain weight ;) and I know how to take weight off, but maintaining the weight is rather new to me. I guess I will just have to adjust my calories and find the "right" maintenance level and not freak out if the scale goes up a pound or two...
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like you've hit a true plateau but you could try upping the intesity of your workouts by including some sprints or hard intervals instead of doing steady state cardio.

Lifting is fantastic also for changing your body composition.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you commit yourself to staying on top of calories and exercise to some degree, you will be able to maintain. If you're on top of it, and you gain 1 lb, then you just adjust to take it back off again. It's when people jump ship that they have problems. If you know what you're doing (and you DO!) then you know how to course-correct if the scale starts climbing. Just don't jump ship.
  • bettacheckyoself
    Options
    Never focus on the scale...heck, throw that thing out....I don't even own one... I think you should go by how you feel and how your clothes fit (sometimes)....I am no health expert, but I truly believe that how you feel is more important than the number on that scale...Continue what you are doing because consistency is very important...you may want to change it up a bit if you are getting bored...I always try to multitask while I exercise...I try to exercise my brain at the same time by watching educational videos/ you can find lots on youtube ! That is how I am staying consistent with my exercise, I see it as a treat because I know I am doing myself a lot of good during this time... I will admit sometimes I just watch Real Housewives while exercising...but why not ?! they have great bodies that inspire me too :)