Starting a diet during the holidays? WHAT?!?!?!?!

Options
So, is it crazy that I am attempting to start my official weight loss journey just two weeks before Christmas?!?!?! What the heck am I thinking?!?! All that delicious food will be everywhere, beckoning to me with its sweet delectability!!! AM I INSANE?!?!?!?! Well yes, probably...... but maybe just a little bit more desperate.
It's just that I'm loathing these 20 lbs that I've put on since I got married in August, but the process of gaining them sure has been fun! Haha! I've been cooking all sorts of deliciously succulent joys for my sweet-toothed husband. I've never done the online community thing before though, so this is my attempt to actually make myself accountable to someone......anyone!!!! FOR REAL! I need your help Myfitnesspal World!!!!! Soooo..... this is my plan

MY PLAN
1. Track those calories like crazy!!!
2. Workout! I must workout! How is it that I have let myself get out of the habit of running 5 times a week?!?! It's given me a delightful 40 lb. gain overall! Yuck, yuck, yuck!
3. Find people to be accountable to. Are you out there?!?!?!? I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!
4. I'd also like to incoporate Paleo aspects into my diet plan. So to anyone who has experience with it: Your wisdom and knowledge will be a delight unto my soul!!

Replies

• harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You CAN do it!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. I would change step one to "accept this as a lifestyle change and stick to it" then shift the rest down a spot.
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You got this! I went to my mom's yesterday and she had made chocolate cake..I just politely said no thanks and explained I was eating healthier. Her response "you're still doing that?" *facepalm* Most people wont understand that this is a journey, its not a one day, one week, or even one month thing. YOU CAN DO IT! and we are all here to help!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Not crazy at ALL... Crazy is gaining 20 MORE pounds during the holidays! Good luck!
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    YES you are crazy but you can do it i however have started earlier and will try to double my diary intake for christmas than i did on thanksgiving but good luck crazy lady
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Dont kill yourself or expect miracles during the holidays. If you do half of your goals you are more ahead then you were a month ago.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started exactly two years ago.

I didn't even bother trying to log my food on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day... the way I looked at it, two days off would make exactly two days difference in the day I'd reach my goal weight. In other words, in the grand scheme of things, two days doesn't matter one hill of beans.
  • eliz5210
    eliz5210 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! I'm working on a similar plan. I had slacked off of watching what I eat and now I'm back. I need to lose some before I go on a New Year cruise to the Caribbean. Yay! So at least I've got something to shoot for! Take it one day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you have a set back. Remember it takes a while to get your body used to less or different food and to create new habits.
  • snowboardn
    Options
    I plan on making my Christmas dinner much smaller, that way there aren't as many leftovers and I am not eating Christmas food for a week.
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    No it is not crazy. You have to start somewhere. Why wait till after the holidays? I have a friend who wants to quit smoking. Problem is every day she has another excuse as to why she can stop. This is going on, the kids are sick, she has to work extra hours, she has her period. It's always something. If you wait to the "prefect" to start a new plan, you might never find it.

Your plan sounds great. Feel free to add me as a friend. :wink:
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Definanately remember that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. Other than that, starting today is better than putting it off until tomorrow. When it comes to the days and meals where there is such delectable food, remember your new lifestyle enough to be aware of what you are consuming.Enjoy the delectables in acceptable moderation. have one of Aunt Mary's pieces of fudge, rather than several... just be aware. You will do great! We are all here to help. Welcome to the crowd :)
  • cocodiva31
    Options
    dont feel bad, i started mfp the week of thanksgiving and im down as of today 12lbs!! GO FOR IT!!! :flowerforyou:
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    Just bump up the exercise when you know you're going to be eating more, track it and don't make a habit out of eating holiday food. I'm not one to talk (right now b/c I've gained so much), but people who've maintained do so even during the holidays...and they don't deprive themselves of good eats.
  • Lizzy0509
    Options
    Good Luck! you can do, I started a week ago and thought the same thing. :smile:
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    You got this! I have been doing my journey for 2 weeks now and am pushing through the holidays! We got this!
  • grumpy2032
    grumpy2032 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started just before Thanksgiving and am down 18 lbs .Stick to your plan and drink your water it helps keep you full .And I think over the lip stays on my hips .:laugh: It helps me stay away from sweets .
  • Rocio2382
    Rocio2382 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am the same way girl. I started around the holidays myself. Its a great thing... U have to over come obsticals and have strong will power. Counting your calories is a good thing just dont get to obsessed with it lol. Recording to me is key cuz it gives you a visual and keeps you on ur toes. Even if I went over my calories as shameful as I am for it... I dont let it stop me from putting it on the record just to see my mistake and learn from it and to knw I have to straighten up my act. Your not alone here. STAY POSITIVE, MOTIVATED. It will take time, dont be discouraged. Best of Luck! :smile:
  • missdelajay
    missdelajay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You know what, I was telling my co-workers today that I'm starting earlier too. I always gain around the holidays and I said not this year! Hate being a statistic.
  • worldgirl28
    Options
    You can totally do it!
  • Bajandoll
    Bajandoll Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know right?? I have been asking myself the same thing since I started counting my calories yesterday. We must be insane but we got this :) Good luck!!