Weight & Fruuuuuuuuuustration

Options
So I have been busting my toosh working out and eatting between 1100-1400 calories (healthy calories) a day, yet my weight is staying fluctuating between 124.5 and 125.5 sometimes 126. I am so frustrated and don't understand why I'm not LOSING?????

Also, I weight myself 1x a day, first thing in the AM when I get up.

UGH :( Why is this?????

Replies

• SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    The more you work out the more muscle you build. This can very well offset the weight loss. Try measuring yourself instead of weighing yourself and you will start to notice a difference.

I only weight myself once a week because there are too many fluctuations each day to really know what's happening.

Also it can take a few weeks before you start getting the reductions you're seeking because of the above.
  • jonttumies
    Options
    It can be your water weight or it can be your muscles that are growing. Muscles weight 2 times more than fat.(maybe more) The best way to check your weight is to check it once a week so you know how much you have really progressed.

The other guy read my mind.. :D
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I understand the desire for the weight loss. Everytime I get down into the 130s, I'm back up to 142 again. For two years now. So even though I am still striving to lose that weight, I have to take stock in what I have accomplished. I can run 3 miles now straight, even on hills. There is definition in my arms and back (which of course makes my bum and legs look even more jiggly), i have calves muscles (who knew), and can go hiking for 7 hours without quitting. So as you continue on your weight loss goal, keep also looking at your health improvement. Might help to keep you motivated.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    can you explain your goals a little more?

I.E.
    why your goal is 115, what your expectation for weekly loss is, what you are doing to get there, if you have any conditions, and maybe your physical stats (height, weight, age, activity level)

Basically I say all this because I see a lot of people on here who get near their goal weight and don't realize how difficult it becomes to either maintain or lose additional weight once their goal is in sight. Also, I think one of the most common problems on this site is people creating incorrect or unrealistic goals for themselves. Since you didn't fill out any of your profile information, all I can do is guess as to how knowledgeable you are about nutrition and exercise.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    can you explain your goals a little more?

I.E.
    why your goal is 115, what your expectation for weekly loss is, what you are doing to get there, if you have any conditions, and maybe your physical stats (height, weight, age, activity level)

Basically I say all this because I see a lot of people on here who get near their goal weight and don't realize how difficult it becomes to either maintain or lose additional weight once their goal is in sight. Also, I think one of the most common problems on this site is people creating incorrect or unrealistic goals for themselves. Since you didn't fill out any of your profile information, all I can do is guess as to how knowledgeable you are about nutrition and exercise.

I was 115 a few years back and it was the perfect weight for me. I am only 5'3", so 115 is not an extremely low number. It is the perfect running weight for me and where I feel "good" about me.

I have a desk job, but walk around as much as possible throughout the day.

Currently I am doing the 30 day shred in the AM and when I get home from work, I either run 2-3 miles or get on the eliptical trainer for 30 minutes.

Ideally, I would love to lose 2 lbs a week, but who wouldn't. More realisticly, I'm shooting for 1 lb a week.

When I lost weight previously, I was able to maintain or lose, my weight never went up. So I guess that is the frustrating part of it all.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I was 115 a few years back and it was the perfect weight for me. I am only 5'3", so 115 is not an extremely low number. It is the perfect running weight for me and where I feel "good" about me.

I have a desk job, but walk around as much as possible throughout the day.

Currently I am doing the 30 day shred in the AM and when I get home from work, I either run 2-3 miles or get on the eliptical trainer for 30 minutes.

Ideally, I would love to lose 2 lbs a week, but who wouldn't. More realisticly, I'm shooting for 1 lb a week.

When I lost weight previously, I was able to maintain or lose, my weight never went up. So I guess that is the frustrating part of it all.

so, here's the thing, you have a BMI of 22, which, ok granted BMI is a flawed calculation,non-the-less, there's no way IMHO you will be able to lose 1 lb a week in a healthy manner. In fact, I think you should be trying to gain muscle mass (I.E. adding about 5 to 10 lbs to your frame.) That's just my opinion, but think about it. Muscle is heavy, much heavier than fat. So you can actually get "smaller" while increasing your weight.

This is the area of weight loss where I think the scale is a very bad way to judge your goals. I feel like there are some great tools to help you get to that great body "place" but I don't think the scale is one of them. What are those tools? Well, Body fat % is one, another is strength goals, yet another is endurance and/or time based goals (like 5K time for instance).

Weight is relatively arbitrary. You can have 2 women that have the exact same measurements, be the exact same age, height, and activity level, and fit in the same dress size, and one can be up to 15 or 20 lbs heavier than the other.

I'm not trying to bring you down or anything like that, I'm actually trying to lift a burden from you. I feel like a lot of women think that they have to judge their appearance on their weight, when in truth, I most men I know wouldn't have any idea or care how much a woman weighs as long as she was attractive, If you can get past the weight thing, and concentrate more on your actual body composition, I feel like you will be able to get to that sweet spot of both health and looking fantastic.

I hope you take this the right way, again, I'm offering my opinion here, not trying to tell you how to live. Anyway, if this is something that interests you, I'd be more than happy to give you some advice on how to get to that point.

regards,

-Banks
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    Thanks SHBoss!!!
  • CathyNS
    CathyNS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not an expert on these things but I took a look at your food diary for the past week (hope you don't mind) and I noticed that your sodium levels seem high. I try to keep my levels at 1500-1700mg a day, I actually changed that goal in my settings as I thought the 2500 default was above what my doctor recommended. Someone else mentioned water weight and I know when I do go a bit over on my sodium I find it harder to lose weight or I am up a bit from fluid retention. Just a thought you might want to cut down on the sodium a bit and see what happens.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    2500 sodium is fine for someone with normal blood pressure, it's actually what's recommended for most people.

1500 to 2000 is usually what doctors recommend for people with HBP and/or a history of HBP in the immediate family or other cardio-pulmonary risks.