Weight Loss for Army Acceptance

Options
Hey there, my name's Manda. I've actually been using this for a long time, but decided it was time to actually get social on here.
I'm trying to lose about 20 lbs before I join the Army in 3 years (I know it's a long way off, but I fall off the bandwagon very easily.) Anyways, hello again :)

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Hi Manda, I'm Sissi! I'm relatively new to mfp, I've only been using it for the past couple of weeks now. I hear ya with the army! I'd like to be fit enough by the end of 2014 to at least theoretically join the Canadian Forces, and perhaps even go all out and join up outright. Don't tell anyone though-this hasn't gotten out to my family yet! Good to meet you. c:
  • Cori_Mac
    Cori_Mac Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi Manda!

I was in the Navy reserves, and miss it a lot. I'll join this with you, if only to fit back into my uniform. :-)
  • Wilmslow_UK
    Options
    I used to be in the Territorial Army (TA) in the UK.

Absolutely loved it, the confidence course and Basic Fitness Test training really gave me a good kick start to get me fit.

A watershed moment was when the training sargeant said to me 'Move it lardarse'!! Really gave me the kick start I needed :)

Do you know what the acceptance test would be for you? Maybe worth checking out if any local PT trainers in your local gym are ex military and can give you some training pointers.
  • rainbowplatypus
    Options
    Hello sissi! Aww, I think joining the military for your country is great, especially if you love your country. I don't particularly LOVE mine, but it's my country and I should serve at least. It's nice to meet you as well, don't worry your secret is safe with me ;)

Hello Cori_Mac, I have a LOT of friends who work in different branches of the military but I only have 1 friend in the Navy. I'm still considering going Navy, but I'll probably end up Army. Thank you for joining with me! It's nice to have other's helping :)

Hello Wilmslow, I don't know what acceptance test for me...The gym I usually go to is actually on the Air Force base here, I'm still a military card holder since I'm still my fathers dependent till I'm 26. I know I need to get down to 140 before I can consider joining though and Air force and Army physical tests differ just slightly. When I was living with my dad he really motivated me, he would go with me and if I wasn't doing something right or was getting lazy on he'd yell at me, right in the gym as if he was my Drill Sgt. Basically I just really need more motivation. :)
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Good luck and I think it's awesome you are going into the service. I served 13 years and have two sons in the Navy.
  • mia840
    mia840 Posts: 42
    Options
    I too am losing for the Army :)
  • rainbowplatypus
    Options
    @bionicdiver Thank you, my father and grandfather both served in the military for about 20 years. My dad was Army, grandfather was Air Force. I want to keep a military family going and I'm an only child with no cousins on my fathers side. Almost all of my friends are either joining or have joined the military and those who haven't yet are in college and will be joining as officers. I'm hoping to lose enough weight so that I can join once I obtain my bachelors.

@mia840 :) Go us for wanting to join the Army!
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't know what acceptance test for me...The gym I usually go to is actually on the Air Force base here, I'm still a military card holder since I'm still my fathers dependent till I'm 26. I know I need to get down to 140 before I can consider joining though and Air force and Army physical tests differ just slightly. When I was living with my dad he really motivated me, he would go with me and if I wasn't doing something right or was getting lazy on he'd yell at me, right in the gym as if he was my Drill Sgt. Basically I just really need more motivation. :)

Hi Manda,
    Here is a link with Army weight control charts: http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-fitness-requirements/army-weight-control-charts

I'm sure the site has charts for each service. Also, check with your base gym as they may have physical trainers available to you. I know the base closest to us has them and they do not charge a fee. Use the resources available to you and you'll be golden.

Thanks for considering serving your country!

Good luck in your endeavors.

Signed-a proud Navy wife
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I know that when I was in the army or when I was joining there was no way that I was going to be under their standards. I am 6'0 and built like a line backer. So even though I was skinny i wasnt under their standards. So every weigh in I had to be taped. So its not all about how much you physically weigh check out what their body fat standards are also.

Also I am totally in support of you losing weight anyways

Good luck